GT3 Mk2 Wing Adjustment...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 PM
QTR (GT3)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Mk2 Wing Adjustment...

Hi guys

Was at the track this weekend and thought I would experiment on the rear wing abit. I adjusted the attack angle of the rear wing and got two second faster lap times with the provided transponders. Unfortunately I didn't have my Vbox hooked this time. Hopefully next week ill have the Vbox installed and share the results.

Anyone try adjusting the attack angle of the wing ? I'd like to here what other's think.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by QTR (GT3)
Hi guys

Was at the track this weekend and thought I would experiment on the rear wing abit. I adjusted the attack angle of the rear wing and got two second faster lap times with the provided transponders. Unfortunately I didn't have my Vbox hooked this time. Hopefully next week ill have the Vbox installed and share the results.

Anyone try adjusting the attack angle of the wing ? I'd like to here what other's think.
never tried it, did you adjust it steeper or shallower, if so, "fully" i.e. to the full extent of the stops, or less than that ... I always wondered with these wings how to set them at a particular/recommended "angle" ...

With the 996.1 there were only a couple of positions you could set it at, with the 996.2 there were the 4 and 8 degree shims, and with the 997.1 again there was only a couple of ways you could configure it ...

is the 997.2 wing a "slider" or does it have set "holes" to adjust it?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:53 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 216 Posts

didnt even know it was adjustable on the non rs. Good to know...would love more info on this
Old 10-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Two seconds would be a phenomenal improvement given just tweaking the factory wing. Since the wings of the street cars do little beyond counteracting lift, I'm guessing you flattened the angle to remove drag. If you're on a long, fast track with a couple of very long straights, perhaps you found a couple of mph or km/h and that could translate into a second or two if you were circulating well off lap record pace. If you raised the angle, perhaps the track has some very high speed sweepers (since the wing has negligible downforce below say 80 mph) where the car might have become more stable carrying higher speeds and higher limits of traction.

I had a Porsche pro driver in my RS and he commented on the excessive rear downforce. I've been meaning to tinker. As with most adjustments it's important to be incremental and keep good documentation.

I find a digital inclinometer to be too fiddly (hard to read the one I have in sunlight, requires a large surface to get an accurate reading and requires a ground plane reading to know the inclination of the car on the ground.)

An easy way to make adjustments at the track is to put a rigid board across the top of the wing so that you don't have trouble getting exactly the same relative alignment because the curves of the wing make it tricky to measure from the same contact point to get consistent angle readings. Then either a laser pointer or a long, rigid stick that lies across the board on top of the wing, facing fore-aft and touching the back window. Put some tape vertically on the side of the window and mark the position of the stick/laser. Even minute adjustments of the slider will be easily repeatable with various markings up and down the window (and any change in the rest of the car and suspension doesn't change the relationship between the wing and the rear window.)

I imagine that even the difference between the fully extended and fully collapsed positions will be hard to measure on the GT3. Maybe appearances are deceptive in this case. Certainly the RS wing seems to have an impact.

Now I'm itching to go take the wing off completely and see how that affects the car.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Carrera GT,

I don't see how you can run the car faster without wing?!

In my mind the more rear downforce the better, as long as it does not slow you down enough on the straights to offset lap time gained during braking, turning and accelerating. As long as the rear is planted I'm good, maybe also because I drive very oversteery into the corner, braking too long/too late, I think.

I only ran the Gurney flap at Roebling road so far, and it was 0.5 - 1 sec faster, next weekend VIR, the week after Sebring, I will know better after that. At Roebling the last corner is 100MPH, so even with more downforce I was faster at the end of the main straight (150MPH) because the exit speed of the last corner before the straight was higher.

I plan on always running max wing even plus Gurney flap, except at Daytone where my MKI GT3 front felt so light it feels like it's going to take off at 170Mph with wing in the middle hole.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Carrera GT,

Where'd you get that idea?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Aah OK, I imagine running the car without wing will suck a lot...
Old 10-23-2010, 06:17 AM
QTR (GT3)
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
never tried it, did you adjust it steeper or shallower, if so, "fully" i.e. to the full extent of the stops, or less than that ... I always wondered with these wings how to set them at a particular/recommended "angle" ...

With the 996.1 there were only a couple of positions you could set it at, with the 996.2 there were the 4 and 8 degree shims, and with the 997.1 again there was only a couple of ways you could configure it ...

is the 997.2 wing a "slider" or does it have set "holes" to adjust it?
I adjusted it steeper/full extent. There are 4 rubber plugs 2 on the inside area of each tower where you can loosen the bolts and adjust by sliding the wing upwards.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Two seconds would be a phenomenal improvement given just tweaking the factory wing. Since the wings of the street cars do little beyond counteracting lift, I'm guessing you flattened the angle to remove drag. If you're on a long, fast track with a couple of very long straights, perhaps you found a couple of mph or km/h and that could translate into a second or two if you were circulating well off lap record pace. If you raised the angle, perhaps the track has some very high speed sweepers (since the wing has negligible downforce below say 80 mph) where the car might have become more stable carrying higher speeds and higher limits of traction.

I had a Porsche pro driver in my RS and he commented on the excessive rear downforce. I've been meaning to tinker. As with most adjustments it's important to be incremental and keep good documentation.

I find a digital inclinometer to be too fiddly (hard to read the one I have in sunlight, requires a large surface to get an accurate reading and requires a ground plane reading to know the inclination of the car on the ground.)

An easy way to make adjustments at the track is to put a rigid board across the top of the wing so that you don't have trouble getting exactly the same relative alignment because the curves of the wing make it tricky to measure from the same contact point to get consistent angle readings. Then either a laser pointer or a long, rigid stick that lies across the board on top of the wing, facing fore-aft and touching the back window. Put some tape vertically on the side of the window and mark the position of the stick/laser. Even minute adjustments of the slider will be easily repeatable with various markings up and down the window (and any change in the rest of the car and suspension doesn't change the relationship between the wing and the rear window.)

I imagine that even the difference between the fully extended and fully collapsed positions will be hard to measure on the GT3. Maybe appearances are deceptive in this case. Certainly the RS wing seems to have an impact.

Now I'm itching to go take the wing off completely and see how that affects the car.
I actually raised the wing since my track is a combination of slow but mostly very fast corners, and a straight which I can top a speed of aprox 250kph (155mph) depending of the exit of the last corner to the straight.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Carrera GT,

In my mind the more rear downforce the better, as long as it does not slow you down enough on the straights to offset lap time gained during braking, turning and accelerating. As long as the rear is planted I'm good, maybe also because I drive very oversteery into the corner, braking too long/too late, I think.

I only ran the Gurney flap at Roebling road so far, and it was 0.5 - 1 sec faster, next weekend VIR, the week after Sebring, I will know better after that. At Roebling the last corner is 100MPH, so even with more downforce I was faster at the end of the main straight (150MPH) because the exit speed of the last corner before the straight was higher.

I plan on always running max wing even plus Gurney flap, except at Daytone where my MKI GT3 front felt so light it feels like it's going to take off at 170Mph with wing in the middle hole.
I was inspired by your post TRACKCAR, and thought since I can adjust my wing why not experiment
--------------

Next weekend I will do a Vbox analysis of both factory wing angle and an adjusted wind angle.

Last edited by QTR (GT3); 10-23-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at the same track last night wih QTR GT3 , and was amazed how adjusting the wing to the highest position effected his laptime.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:56 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way of being sure is to use a datalogger and compare the results, and see if indeed it is the extra downforce that did the trick. It could be that you just became a better driver at that track.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:49 PM
QTR (GT3)
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
The only way of being sure is to use a datalogger and compare the results, and see if indeed it is the extra downforce that did the trick. It could be that you just became a better driver at that track.
You are absolutely right, Next weekend hopefully I will compare laps with stock and adjusted wing settings.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds interesting:

Quick Reply: GT3 Mk2 Wing Adjustment...