delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for pointing that out
Old 05-15-2011, 03:53 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

that picture already shows the plug, unplugged.

here is a post with some good shots of it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/7273531-post22.html
Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks!!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Once it is unplugged, does the "sport" button light (the one normally pressed to turn on sport exhaust) just stay lit all the time?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:11 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

no, you still need to activate the sport button by depressing it.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In sport mode, I've had a different exhaust noise a couple of times today.

It's hard to describe, but the cadence of the exhaust sound seems to be slower (think like a Mustang 5.0, but not cool sounding) and more breathy if that makes any sense. It's almost like a more chopped up exhaust note or just doesn't have the constant healthy thrum.

Is this the stuck valve issue? I can't imagine how I'd replicate it for the Porsche service guys since it's random. I don't like the unplugged mode as it's too loud for my tastes and not interested in aftermarket systems.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 12:47 AM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
It's hard to describe, but the cadence of the exhaust sound seems to be slower (think like a Mustang 5.0, but not cool sounding) and more breathy if that makes any sense. It's almost like a more chopped up exhaust note or just doesn't have the constant healthy thrum.
your description sure sounds like a GT3 to me
Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by masmole
your description sure sounds like a GT3 to me
I'm trying to figure out if it's the stuck valve issue I need checked out because it doesn't sound good in the "breathy" vibration type sound modee. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Gt3 Racer RS
Banned

Hey guys, will unplugging that amke a 2009 carrera cab louder?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:37 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We all know you gain some torque in the low-mid range with sport button on. Iircc the baffles open and close based on throttle input, load, etc... So, we do lose the added torque we would otherwise have with the sport button on with the baffles on perm-grin, right?

I know, I know not a big deal for the track, but on street...
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I had the same problem with mine onmce

Took it to the dealer, had it fixed.....then unplugged them for good
Did the dealer replace the valve(s) or what? I'm having the same "stuck valve" issue a lot now, particularly when the engine gets really hot.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

I'm not clear here. Does the sport button just operate those exhaust bypass valves or does it change the engine ecu map too? My point is do I still need to press the sport button to get max performance at the track even with the exhaust valves unplugged?

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
I'm not clear here. Does the sport button just operate those exhaust bypass valves or does it change the engine ecu map too? My point is do I still need to press the sport button to get max performance at the track even with the exhaust valves unplugged?

Thanks.
based on my search trying to nail down more details here...

-reported ~10rwhp on repeated dyno runs in the lower to mid range rpms which for track use doesn't really matter since you're rarely below 5k (i.e. ecu remapped)
-opens up the valves depending on throttle input, rpm range, but may come down to speed... i notice around 30-40mph range regardless of throttle input it opens up

so to your last question... yes, but lap time impact? negligible.

i hear people physically moving the valve to get it unstuck. no one's really mentioned what the dealer does to fix the issue. perhaps they just replace the whole valve units, all two of them?

it's too droney for me with it unplugged. been reading good things about the sharkwerks bypass units. no drone. louder. no more caring about stuck valves which sounds like crap when it happens.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Doublej
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 73 Posts

One of mine is currently rattling and seizes sometimes (usually open). And it does sound horrible with one open and one closed.

It's being replaced under warantee.

It's funny when I took it in they tried to blame it on my SW bypass saying some weld had broken or something but I insisted it was the valve (which it was). I hate when I take my car there and I know from the sound what it is but they take it for a day then tell me it's the bypass. I finally had the tech crawl under the back while I pointed it out. Then he had to double check that it was ok to replace it because I had a SW bypass on ('modified exhaust'). Honestly.

Anyway, sounds like the same thing and it's a simple fix.

JJ
Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Let me add one more level of confusion. To start I have the GMG Racing bypass and I have no valve issues that I know about.

The exhaust sounds bloody fantastic with sport button pressed no droning either. I always press the sport button as soon as the car is started. Always.

Last night was date night, took the wife out for dinner in the Porker. Unplugged the famous plug for the first time beforehand. It was so loud and droney that I had to pull over and plug it back in or she wouldn't talk to me. After that it was fine even with the sport button pressed.

Yes, there is a difference between sport and non-sport. There is a huge difference between unplugged and sport....why?

Quick Reply: Sport Button Exhaust Issue??