Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sport Button Exhaust Issue??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
Let me add one more level of confusion. To start I have the GMG Racing bypass and I have no valve issues that I know about.
you mean center bypass or race exhaust?

The exhaust sounds bloody fantastic with sport button pressed no droning either. I always press the sport button as soon as the car is started. Always.

Last night was date night, took the wife out for dinner in the Porker. Unplugged the famous plug for the first time beforehand. It was so loud and droney that I had to pull over and plug it back in or she wouldn't talk to me. After that it was fine even with the sport button pressed.

Yes, there is a difference between sport and non-sport. There is a huge difference between unplugged and sport....why?
when you unplug the valves are "always" in sport mode, but there really should not, to the best of my knowledge, be any difference with "sport" button and unplugged ...

should have got a Sharkwerks bypass! (scottish humour)
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you mean center bypass or race exhaust?

when you unplug the valves are "always" in sport mode, but there really should not, to the best of my knowledge, be any difference with "sport" button and unplugged ...

should have got a Sharkwerks bypass! (scottish humour)
the new guy tentatively dipping a toe in the water here amongst the big sharks

there is a diff between unplugged and sport button mode. when sport is pressed, the computer is still messing with the valves and i believe it has more to do with speed than actual throttle position (likely a mix of both with the valve opening up between 32-39mph by my observation), but i could def be in the wrong here.

when you unplug it, the valve is always open whatever mode you are in. since most street driving, esp when a lady is in the car, is done in that 0-50mph speeds w/ revs sitting in that boomy 2-5K rpm range, you're going to get hit with a lot of drone even with the stock exhaust. now add a passenger that weighs between 100-200lbs (hopefully for us aesthetically selective bachelors closer to the 1 than 2) and you get a greater dosage of it.

i've read reviewers complaining about the variable valve positioning, that it should be just one simple setting, yet i actually have come to appreciate the thought that went behind sport mode. it makes it very streetable when you "need" it to be and racy when you want it as such.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
the new guy tentatively dipping a toe in the water here amongst the big sharks

there is a diff between unplugged and sport button mode. when sport is pressed, the computer is still messing with the valves and i believe it has more to do with speed than actual throttle position (likely a mix of both with the valve opening up between 32-39mph by my observation), but i could def be in the wrong here.
correct I believe it is actually (primarily) tied to engine rpm...

when you unplug it, the valve is always open whatever mode you are in. since most street driving, esp when a lady is in the car, is done in that 0-50mph speeds w/ revs sitting in that boomy 2-5K rpm range, you're going to get hit with a lot of drone even with the stock exhaust. now add a passenger that weighs between 100-200lbs (hopefully for us aesthetically selective bachelors closer to the 1 than 2) and you get a greater dosage of it.

i've read reviewers complaining about the variable valve positioning, that it should be just one simple setting, yet i actually have come to appreciate the thought that went behind sport mode. it makes it very streetable when you "need" it to be and racy when you want it as such.
yup, what I said ... always "on"
Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

since most street driving, esp when a lady is in the car, is done in that 0-50mph speeds w/ revs sitting in that boomy 2-5K rpm range, you're going to get hit with a lot of drone even with the stock exhaust. now add a passenger that weighs between 100-200lbs (hopefully for us aesthetically selective bachelors closer to the 1 than 2) and you get a greater dosage of it.
Huh?

I daily drive it and I am not that selective (More of a quantity over quality kinda guy) but even without passenger I will hit the weight.
With the wonderfull SW bypass and permanently unplugged (when picked up new from dealer) I can be on the phone on blue tooth with my blackberry. Just keep it under 4500 RPM. Yes, you can hear the car, but with a passenger you do not have to raise your voice.

I can't stand the artifical on-off sound level.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

For me, with GMG bypass, it was very droney from idle upwards with it unplugged. Way too droney and way too LOUD (What!? Can't hear you!). As for Bluetoothing it - forget it. Even tried that with the GMG bypass, plug in and sport button off and the other person could hear nothing. GMG is like two megaphones with a balance pipe, SW bypass is very different in design. I happen to think the GMG is wonderful and looks so nice too with the raw stainless big tips and the swoopy magaphone pipes.

I also have to say that with the plug in and button pressed it felt more torquey low down than with the thing disconnected. Purely subjective, but it makes sense as to why Porsche would have the computer "messing with the valves" still, even in sport mode. When the valves do open, with the GMG - Oh Boy! what a sound!

Scottish humour? (per Larry).... not sure I've seen those two words written together before.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

For me, with GMG bypass, it was very droney from idle upwards with it unplugged. Way too droney and way too LOUD (What!? Can't hear you!). As for Bluetoothing it - forget it. Even tried that with the GMG bypass, plug in and sport button off and the other person could hear nothing. GMG is like two megaphones with a balance pipe, SW bypass is very different in design. I happen to think the GMG is wonderful and looks so nice too with the raw stainless big tips and the swoopy magaphone pipes.

I also have to say that with the plug in and button pressed it felt more torquey low down than with the thing disconnected. Purely subjective, but it makes sense as to why Porsche would have the computer "messing with the valves" still, even in sport mode. When the valves do open, with the GMG - Oh Boy! what a sound!

Scottish humour? (per Larry).... not sure I've seen those two words written together before.
I had the GMG on my .1 and loved it also ... the tip design really does trumpet the engine note ...

on my .2 I decided to go with the SW because I wanted to maintain the stock tip appearence (despite the fact I have sharky's Ti tips) ... and I love the sound
of that also.

On the .1 I am not sure what, if any, additional function is associated with the sport button's mode (I at one time believed it even effected the PASM maps - not sure I still do) if in addition to the valve position there is also some change to the ecu maps and/or e-gas...

this time I'm not kidding! (c.f. scottish humour)
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

yup, what I said ... always "on"
no. you said this: "when you unplug the valves are "always" in sport mode, but there really should not, to the best of my knowledge, be any difference with "sport" button and unplugged ... "

there is a difference between sport mode and unplugged. when unplugged the valves stay in one position. in sport mode, the valves are controlled by the gt3 brain, open or closed.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

no. you said this: "when you unplug the valves are "always" in sport mode, but there really should not, to the best of my knowledge, be any difference with "sport" button and unplugged ... "

there is a difference between sport mode and unplugged. when unplugged the valves stay in one position. in sport mode, the valves are controlled by the gt3 brain, open or closed.

no ... you misunderstood my remark, I guess was too terse, let me reiterate verbosely so it is not open to misintpretation...

"wrt the operation of the exhaust valves, unpluging their connector in the engine compartment disables the mechanism such that the valves are permanently in the state/position that they are in when the sport button/mode is enabled and the ecu signals that the valves should be toggled/opened to the sport position; this is effectively the same as the "sport" position/condition being always on"
Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

no ... you misunderstood my remark, I guess was too terse, let me reiterate verbosely so it is not open to misintpretation...

"wrt the operation of the exhaust valves, unpluging their connector in the engine compartment disables the mechanism such that the valves are permanently in the state/position that they are in when the sport button/mode is enabled and the ecu signals that the valves should be toggled/opened to the sport position; this is effectively the same as the "sport" position/condition being always on"
with all due respect, i didn't misunderstand what you originally wrote. we may be arguing semantics here, but let those who are reading this thread know that the sport button on mode is not the same as unplugging the connector. sure, if you're referring to sport mode as on loud setting, then yea call it whatever you want.

the sport button on mode (button is lit) does not always leave the valves in what i will refer to as the "louder" setting. the ecu actively opens or closes the valves depending on speed based on my newbie gt3 owner observation.

i thought i'd like it unplugged or loud all the time only to realize it drones way too much at lower speeds for my tastes. i typically press sport button whenever i start the car unless i have a chick riding along that i want to get sporty with later on in the night (no buttons needed here).
Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

with all due respect, i didn't misunderstand what you originally wrote. we may be arguing semantics here, but let those who are reading this thread know that the sport button on mode is not the same as unplugging the connector. sure, if you're referring to sport mode as on loud setting, then yea call it whatever you want.

the sport button on mode (button is lit) does not always leave the valves in what i will refer to as the "louder" setting. the ecu actively opens or closes the valves depending on speed based on my newbie gt3 owner observation.

i thought i'd like it unplugged or loud all the time only to realize it drones way too much at lower speeds for my tastes. i typically press sport button whenever i start the car unless i have a chick riding along that i want to get sporty with later on in the night (no buttons needed here).
<expletives deleted>
Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

not entirely off topic, I recall that carnewal has a sport exhaust remote control that can open and close the valves (like a remote plug/unplug of the connector) overriding the sport button...

it occurred to me that you may be able to teach the in-car HomeLink controller (if you have one) to take over the function of the remote control ... so you could then operate the valves from the car using the HomeLink control if that was useful to you ...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 AM
HRMinHawaii
Advanced

To the OP, my .2 GT3 was sounding odd, going from quiet to sport instead of getting louder, lower, and meaner it sick and uneven. Tech said I had dragged the left exhaust bypass valve on a speedbump, bending it 45 degrees towards the back of the car. He bent it close but I dragged it again and now with the actuator shaft bent it is stuck. Luckily is was able to manually flip the valve into loud position. I guess I'll never pass sound at Laguna Seca again (quote was $3000 for a new valve).

When the exhaust is cool you can push on the actuator from the top side to see if the valves are stuck.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

how'd your dealership sort thru this issue? i can't replicate it at will as it resolves itself eventually. the resulting noise reminds me of what a tired donkey might sound like if i ever crossed paths with a tired donkey.

thx
Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 136 Posts

As an aside, after unplugging mine, I protected both the recepticle and the plug from corrosion using Nitrile finger cots. Made me uncomfortable to just leave the connectors open to the environment long term.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:03 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

not entirely off topic, I recall that carnewal has a sport exhaust remote control that can open and close the valves (like a remote plug/unplug of the connector) overriding the sport button...

it occurred to me that you may be able to teach the in-car HomeLink controller (if you have one) to take over the function of the remote control ... so you could then operate the valves from the car using the HomeLink control if that was useful to you ...
Yes -- I've done that and works flawlessly. The Carnewal module does a nice job controlling the valves (regardless of sport mode setting and throttle/speed) to either stay open or closed. Programming the home link buttons (need to program 2 buttons) to use in lieu of the wireless remote makes it slick!

Quick Reply: Sport Button Exhaust Issue??