Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 AM
AEsco48
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The reinforced rubber hose that carries the coolant? Have not heard of that happening, much less twice and on a 2011!!
Old 12-04-2014, 12:27 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the shops that does tech inspections for the cars that run in my region changes out the 2 main coolant hoses every 2 years since they take such a beating due to heat when the car is used on the track.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:20 PM
GTThre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the reinforced hose that carries the coolant. And, it was not rubbing on anything. It just split, like it was cut with a knife.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:21 PM
AEsco48
Pro

How is the condition of the rest of the hoses?
When i had my engine out I was interested in changing hoses and the dealer said they were fine and its not a issue they see with any of the cars...
Old 12-05-2014, 08:18 AM
GTThre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other hoses were inspected and appear to be fine. The Porsche shop I do business with recommends wiring the hoses and clamps, to prevent the clamps from coming apart. He does it on all of the Cup Cars because it appears to be a bigger problem with them.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:54 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
One of the shops that does tech inspections for the cars that run in my region changes out the 2 main coolant hoses every 2 years since they take such a beating due to heat when the car is used on the track.
Which two hoses are you referring to? Can you please provide part numbers or PET page/item number?

Originally Posted by GTThre
It just split, like it was cut with a knife.
Hmmm...anyone pissed that you are so much faster than they are? ;-)

Originally Posted by AEsco48
When i had my engine out I was interested in changing hoses and the dealer said they were fine and its not a issue they see with any of the cars...
Same here. Every hose inspected on my 2010, and they didn't replace but maybe one or two.

Originally Posted by GTThre
The Porsche shop I do business with recommends wiring the hoses and clamps, to prevent the clamps from coming apart. He does it on all of the Cup Cars because it appears to be a bigger problem with them.
Not a bad idea. My shop also replaced most of the spring clips with high quality hose clamps with flared edges that prevent them from cutting into the hoses.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:41 AM
AEsco48
Pro

Porsche uses very very high quality hose clamps. Look at them closely!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:25 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AEsco48
Porsche uses very very high quality hose clamps. Look at them closely!
The hose clamps that my builder uses on all Cup/GT3 engines are made by ABA Sweden, also very high quality. I looked the ABA clamps closely (rolled edges, no slots cut through the band, designed to apply even pressure and one-piece clamp housing) but I did not have the opportunity to compare side by side with what came off.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:16 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedRSA
Which two hoses are you referring to? Can you please provide part numbers or PET page/item number?
I will ask the shop to confirm but IIRC its the large main top and large main bottom feed hoses.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i saw fitting, clamps in person.
no matter you track or not
no matter what mileage your car is
it's death, it's certain.
u roll your OWN dice.
pin or weld it.
no need to debate about cup car this or that.
just do it. and you will be happy.
u can blame porsche from your grave when you spin out and hit something..... its 4-5000, you drive a 100k car.. think about it.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:54 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i saw fitting, clamps in person.
no matter you track or not
no matter what mileage your car is
it's death, it's certain.
u roll your OWN dice.
pin or weld it.
no need to debate about cup car this or that.
just do it. and you will be happy.
u can blame porsche from your grave when you spin out and hit something..... its 4-5000, you drive a 100k car.. think about it.
seriously. if you spin out, ok sucks for you. if you spin out in front of me because you are too cheap
Old 12-10-2014, 11:21 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
seriously. if you spin out, ok sucks for you. if you spin out in front of me because you are too cheap
Being responsible for your friends balling up their cars and maybe being injured because you were too cheap to proactively address a known problem

For most of the country it is the off-season anyway. Give a universal gift and gain peace of mind - just get it done!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:51 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedRSA
Being responsible for your friends balling up their cars and maybe being injured because you were too cheap to proactively address a known problem

For most of the country it is the off-season anyway. Give a universal gift and gain peace of mind - just get it done!
+GT2
+GT3
+Turbo

Please and thank you!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:38 PM
rja
Rennlist Member

I’m probably not going to win any friends with this post.

Let me first say the time has come for me to get my coolant fittings welded / pinned (2011 997.2 RS, 20k miles). I think it’s completely unreasonable for anybody to expect I would have done this when the car was new, even knowing earlier models are prone to coolant fitting problems and the consequences. Porsche has refused to publicly acknowledge the issue but they’re certainly aware of it and -- for what little we know -- they could have quietly addressed the problem on later models.

As a precaution, I’ve been running water wetter and I have my car inspected regularly. I made the heartbreaking decision not to fly down to Sonoma from Seattle earlier this year while my car sat trackside on the transporter because the car was losing a small amount of water the weekend prior at Laguna. I didn’t want to risk my safety or put others at risk. It turned out to to be the right choice because one of the coolant fittings was starting to back-out.

IMO, I’ve taken reasonable precautions for the safety of myself and others when it comes to the coolant fitting issue. Knowing that my car is in-fact prone to the issue *and* is ready for the fix, it will not be going on track again until after having fittings welded / pinned (great job for Winter).

There seems to be a growing sentiment that if you don’t have your fittings welded / pinned then you’re to blame for anything that goes wrong, and I see rennlisters being angry with other rennlisters. Here’s my perspective FWIW:
If you’re angry because your car was compromised by someone else’s GT/Turbo motor dumping coolant on the track, then I suggest you direct your anger towards Porsche for not addressing this well known issue. The GT3/RS is a car built by Porsche for the track, and if blame is to be assigned if falls squarely on Porsche.

If you’re angry because your car was compromised by someone else’s GT/Turbo motor dumping coolant on the track, then I suggest you rethink going to the track. $hit happens on the track and drivers knowingly accept the risks and consequences of being on track before heading out. If it’s not a GT/Turbo car dumping coolant, then it’s a Ford dumping oil, some POS racecar spilling fuel, etc. Anybody who hasn't had to deal with this hasn't been driving for very long.

If you’re angry because your car was compromised by someone else’s GT/Turbo motor dumping coolant on the track, maybe you should ask yourself what you could have done to help avoid the situation. Were you bump drafting a car you know nothing about driven by somebody you don’t even know on a hot-lapping day? Why? Did your ego or peer pressure lead you to turn off your ‘nannies’? Then I invite you to look only in the mirror for person to blame if your car has such aides. Not suggesting all situation can be avoided -- refer to previous point.

Mooty, respectfully, the reason I didn’t indiscriminately drop a measly $4-5k on my $100k car is because I do think about it and I don’t have an unlimited budget to a priori eliminate all potential failure points. (Coolant fittings, CL hubs, cam sprocket bolt, etc.) Like everybody here -- whether they care to admit it or not -- I accept the engineering economics of $$$ vs safety.

Since we’re on the topic, I’ll take this opportunity to remind folks of Porsche recommended maintenance intervals for track use:

Every 4,200 miles - Replace CL nuts, rear wheel hubs, and rear wheel bearings.
Every 8,400 miles - Front wheel hubs, front wheel bearings, and rear wheel carrier set.
Every 16,800 miles - Front wheel carrier set.

Coolant fittings are not the only thing that need attending to for the safety on the track.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ noted and u caught me with my pants down.

1. when these cars are new, i would not take the perfectly good motor out to weld or pin. that's not my point. but now, they are getting older. and it should be budgeted. 3 sets of hoosiers would do it.

2. water wetter is a good temp sol'n as many of us, myself inc, have used when car is fairly new.

3. i agree that trackers shouldn't be angry or blame others should their car be compromised due to others coolant or any other failure. like u said, sh*t happens on track. i have lost many cars on track... but personally i do not want to be the one who started a pile up. so i worry about my own car peeing.... should i run over other ppl's coolant, then it is a risk i take when i am on track.

4. yes, hubs and bearings are also failure points. i should know b/c other ppl's windshields, fender liners and yes tires with wheels and uprights attached have all flown toward, over, and under me....

5. indeed, if any anger should exist, it's toward porsche. i think most of us are in general worried about other's safety, like you not flying down to seattle. most of us are level headed, despite the occasional inappropriate lashing out ;-)

6. and your post will not lose you any friends. and if you do, then those are prolly friends not worth having anyways b/c when we drive on track long enough, we know... and i know that you know too.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry