Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

3 GT3RS at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

deal, even without RS, i will want that CF surf board in the garage.

next time i see pete, i have trailer and tools, i will dismount his titanium jewelry. then trade it with CF.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Fred.

Do I even need to post the words: Group Buy!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred X50
I actually do and feel that the rear is very planted. It is a direct fit as it's the OEM R/Hybrid wing.

And all GT3R/RSR/Hybrid cup cars have the same wing so I am sure it works
No doubt it works but wouldn't you want to upgrade front downforce utilizing mods (dive planes, extended spoiler plate) on RSR or Hyrbid to balance? Not sure Cup spoiler alone is enough.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Fred X50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
No doubt it works but wouldn't you want to upgrade front downforce utilizing mods (dive planes, extended spoiler plate) on RSR or Hyrbid to balance? Not sure Cup spoiler alone is enough.
I just got off the phone with my Service guy at Carlsen (Christian) who on track days is hired by Scott Mercer as the crew chief. And Scott hires Johannes Van Overbeek as his instructor. I also have met Johannes and he's a great guy.

What they noticed is that we had adjusted the angle of the wing for street use but forgot to adjust the wing angle with less tilt (more flat). As all I have in the front is the GT3Cup car splitter is still is not enough to match the rear downforce, so the less angle the better when braking.

I'm going to track with H.O.D on Oct 19th at Infineon and will adjust the wing angle and see how much difference it makes.

Even better yet, maybe a better experienced driver like John/Paul or Pete can drive my car themselves and tell us the difference

John, come up Tuesday the 19th?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:47 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

not sure about 19th.
i am there 8th-10th
Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Fred X50
Instructor

what group is 8th - 10th? I believe I am free then as well!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:52 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

10/8 is PCA GGR
10/9-10 is PRC, porsche at the point. i believe this even will have DE groups in addition to racing.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
deal, even without RS, i will want that CF surf board in the garage.

next time i see pete, i have trailer and tools, i will dismount his titanium jewelry. then trade it with CF.
Hey!

Pete, my buddy took this pic!!
Awesome! Great shot.

Originally Posted by mikymu
Hey Pete, I can stuff a chiwawa under your front wheel well - too much room. You need to lower it some more ... will handle much better
I was under acceleration in that pic . But yes, CarreraGT said the same. Wish I could lower it but clearance is bad enough already on the drive to/from track Forced compromise.

deal Mooty

and after I found out what Pete paid for his exhaust and what I paid for my Wing and Sharkwerks muffler delete I had enough money left over for a set of new HRE wheels But then again, I don't have Pete's sick exhaust set up ;(
Your exhaust sounds plenty good my friend!

I just got off the phone with my Service guy at Carlsen (Christian) who on track days is hired by Scott Mercer as the crew chief. And Scott hires Johannes Van Overbeek as his instructor. I also have met Johannes and he's a great guy.

Even better yet, maybe a better experienced driver like John/Paul or Pete can drive my car themselves and tell us the difference
I think CarreraGT is more your man for this. Much more experience and higher skill level than me. Johannes would be good to comment as well!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
I think CarreraGT is more your man for this.
Hardly! Johannes would be the steerer for the job.

You'd want to get the ride height set and have someone set the attack on the wing first, then do some before/after data runs. You could put a pull-string analog sensor on RaceKeeper and measure suspension squat. Maybe RK has a load cell
or strain gauge that could go under the deck lid, too.

I'm sure the wing expects a lower ride height, less pressure under the car, the chin spoiler extension, dive planes and the diffuser -- all working as a system. The wing on it's own is still surely doing what you'd expect. I think the stock wing already produces more down-force than needed, but I'm not so brave as to experiment with less, especially in a car that doesn't below to me.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

that Mako car (with the graphics, matte wrap and dark tailight lenses) is a bad, bad car.

makes me wanna do bad, bad things
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I fiddled with the design and got it to come as close as possible. They're "turn ups" really ... we dubbed them "turnips." I have a fabricator doing a set for me in Iconel, just to see how the metal goes (it might create more noise than stainless.) There is the option for double-wall and maybe in Ti, but price will go from maybe $500-600 to more like $2K once he has to sit and fiddle around with two mandrel bent Inconel elbows, two flanges, seam welding the outside, finishing the end plate ... yikes ... a lot of raw material (literally $1500 in material and five hours at $100/hr) ... the retail price would be horrifying. Thank you to the good citizens and neighbors of Laguna Seca _historic_ raceway.
given that the tips are held on by only 3 bolts ... would it make sense to build a "bolts-back" solution for LS ... like take some of sharky's $300 tips and just extend them ... the only drawback would be switching them while everything is "hot" down there ...
Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
given that the tips are held on by only 3 bolts ... would it make sense to build a "bolts-back" solution for LS ... like take some of sharky's $300 tips and just extend them ... the only drawback would be switching them while everything is "hot" down there ...
Do you ever read my posts?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...e-control.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ly-solved.html

Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

sorry late to this particular party!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

British Motor Car dealership in San Francisco (http://www.britishmotorexotics.com/) has some great pics and video on their site and Facebook page of the LS event last weekend. One pic has Fred, Mooty and me together in it! Fred is the tall and handsome man and looks the part of race-car owner

You are running in some high-class company there Fred!

What is wild is they only have seven total pics, and four feature Freds car prominently

Check out the videos on their main website for more shots of Fred running with the most expensive starting grid of street cars I have ever seen..lol. Aston Martins, Lambos, Bentley, Jags, ect.
Attached Images     
Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Fred X50
Instructor

Come out and play guys!

Hello Drivers,

For the 9-10-10 Infineon Raceway event we have 2 Advanced and 5 Intermediate openings left in G1.
For G2R Race Prepped cars only, we are wide open and need to fill this group.
2 hours of track time, 4-30 minute sessions, low car count, all for only $200.
PLEASE FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO YOUR FRIENDS AND HELP PROMOTE THIS EVENT!
Brought to you by Paul Chew-State Farm www.PaulChewSF.com

Quick Reply: 3 GT3RS at Laguna Seca