3 GT3RS at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
did you guys notice faster laps with the open sound??
i run the same oem exhaust, so no.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's the right question, but it's a difficult question. Most of the cars there were either running without modifications to take advantage of the sound or they were drivers from out of the area without experience at Laguna. The times were unremarkable. In my humble. Even the talented drivers, quick to find the line and compete were still grappling with Laguna which is a track that favors locals and rewards experience.

The drivers set up in competitive cars and running at full tuned power were blisteringly quick. The shifter karts were insanely quick -- amateur drivers in vehicles that cost less than the brakes and tires of a 911 competition car, lapping quicker than million dollar pro teams.

It would be interesting to see a rather more objective analysis of the weekend, but from the peanut gallery, holy boiled potatoes, the kart drivers were impressive, fearless competitors. Harks back to the famous "sport of men" quote attributed to Hemingway:

I think we all here favor a sport that doesn't involve killing fish other than to eat them. Hats off to the kart drivers for risking life and limb in "real" sport.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:10 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that is a huge wing Fred. Looks nice but it kills top speed. You may want to go back on OEM wings for a while until you are up to speed on the track - need more down force up front to match rear. A simple gurney flap on OEM wing will add more downforce on the rear without killing top speed.

Sounds like you guys had fun. mooty in rain ... like Lewis Hamilton in wet

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Gents

Get these cars entered in the GTGP.. YOU are eligible to run these cars....

For more info visit www.globaltunergp.com

This is a TIME TRIAL based event.. NO Sound restrictions - over 3 days...
2 day package is available..

email info@globaltunergp.com
Fabryce .. correct me if I am wrong. Entry fee for this event is couple thousands right?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVE that new wing on the RS.2! is that a RSR or CUp wing?

Last edited by silverboy; 09-21-2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: added txt
Old 09-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Savy: What tires are you running up front? They appear larger than stock. Also looks like you're running more negative camber than Fred and Paul.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by silverboy
I LOVE that new wing on the RS.2! is that a RSR or CUp wing?
GT3 R hybrid wing
Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
Wow, that is a huge wing Fred. Looks nice but it kills top speed. You may want to go back on OEM wings for a while until you are up to speed on the track - need more down force up front to match rear. A simple gurney flap on OEM wing will add more downforce on the rear without killing top speed.

Sounds like you guys had fun. mooty in rain ... like Lewis Hamilton in wet

Fabryce .. correct me if I am wrong. Entry fee for this event is couple thousands right?
I'm guessing the wing is for design. And I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche made it produce less drag than the street wing -- it's about a foot wider, but a tad thinner and less "sculpted." And flat verticals rather than the bulky (and heavy) items Porsche puts on the "lightweight" RS cars.

As for Mooty in the rain, it was just that Laguna morning fog marine layer blowing through (not normally here so late ... a sort of "June Gloom" for September ...) Cold and a bit miserable, but it did burn off each day. Anyway, I didn't realize Hamilton was a cry-baby in the rain ... : )
Old 09-21-2010, 11:36 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
As for Mooty in the rain, it was just that Laguna morning fog marine layer blowing through (not normally here so late ... a sort of "June Gloom" for September ...) Cold and a bit miserable, but it did burn off each day. Anyway, I didn't realize Hamilton was a cry-baby in the rain ... : )
Last week I was trying a friends new 6speed kart and rain caught on slicks almost killed us but way too much fun so I asked John do you have rain tires, how you like driving in the track when wet and he said: "Rain tires no.. We are in California. What rain?"
Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

hamilton... haha, not i.
rain... or any wetness i hate it. i dont like swimming either.
though by qual session in afternoon, it was dry and nice.
practice session was not so nice. 20 seconds off my own pace.....
if i wanted to be wet, i would have moved to a wet state long ago and be able to afford a few more nicer cars.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, definitely, three seconds a lap faster this time than last time. Some of that was line improvement though. Keeping the flapper valves shut hurts my top end powerband. In a vid from a couple weeks ago during a point by on the straight CarreraGT completely pulled away from me. He was running "turn-downs" vs my closed flaps.

Correct Answer- it depends on how you quieted the exhaust Flaps shut = kills power/turn downs=not so much. Anyone up for building me titanium turndowns???

Originally Posted by Nizer
Savy: What tires are you running up front? They appear larger than stock. Also looks like you're running more negative camber than Fred and Paul.
Good eyes Warren Stock size tires and stock size/offset wheels. However- my tech widened the track as far as he could via LCA shims and sliding out the top shock mounts.

In fact, so much so, on the RF I was getting tire/fender contact under certain conditions! lol. Had to employ the weighted adjustment tool (hammer) to adjust the inner fender lip.

And again good eyes, we decided to go to -2.4 on the front camber (kept rears at -1.8) to remove some of the inherant push/understeer. This was my best set-up yet as was able to negotiate T2 (hairpin) much more neutrally and yet oversteer was not an issue on corner exit.

I was 80% soft on the front sway, 80% hard on rear sway and it had much more bite on turn-in. Only trade-off was less directional stability under hard braking from high speed.

Tire wear was lovely. Very even wear across face.

Still more tweaking to do though, the front end lift on my car is preventing me from fully utilizing the new front blade sway adjustability as with lift on clearance between blade and LCA is reduced with blades in vertical position. The fix causes the drop link geometry to be less than optimal. A .2 car can use the blade if it does not have front lift. Going to keep the Tarett drop links which are fantastic and install a Tarett regular front sway. The new rear blade is AWESOME.

Dito Milian / GotBlueMilk.com Photography is again the master behind the lens.
Attached Images    
Old 09-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
it depends on how you quieted the exhaust Flaps shut = kills power/turn downs=not so much. Anyone up for building me titanium turndowns???
I fiddled with the design and got it to come as close as possible. They're "turn ups" really ... we dubbed them "turnips." I have a fabricator doing a set for me in Iconel, just to see how the metal goes (it might create more noise than stainless.) There is the option for double-wall and maybe in Ti, but price will go from maybe $500-600 to more like $2K once he has to sit and fiddle around with two mandrel bent Inconel elbows, two flanges, seam welding the outside, finishing the end plate ... yikes ... a lot of raw material (literally $1500 in material and five hours at $100/hr) ... the retail price would be horrifying. Thank you to the good citizens and neighbors of Laguna Seca _historic_ raceway.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:07 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I fiddled with the design and got it to come as close as possible. They're "turn ups" really ... we dubbed them "turnips." I have a fabricator doing a set for me in Iconel, just to see how the metal goes (it might create more noise than stainless.) There is the option for double-wall and maybe in Ti, but price will go from maybe $500-600 to more like $2K once he has to sit and fiddle around with two mandrel bent Inconel elbows, two flanges, seam welding the outside, finishing the end plate ... yikes ... a lot of raw material (literally $1500 in material and five hours at $100/hr) ... the retail price would be horrifying. Thank you to the good citizens and neighbors of Laguna Seca _historic_ raceway.
Ah, so you are doing the inconel versions. Looking forward to seeing and hearing your review on this solution. Turnips...lol...

Just thought, wonder if SuperTrapps could be adapted to bolt up to center muffler? Restrictive vs flaps closed? Heavy, or no?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Fred TTX50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, such a great video Pete!

Agreed that the more track time the better I will get at Laguna Seca. It had been years since I've been to Laguna so took some time getting familiar with the lines/braking/and the RS. Following you and Paul helped me tremendously.

And in regards to the wing, I don't think it really is going to affect straight line speed at the race track as we are not going any faster then 140mph. Maybe above 150+ I can see the top speed being affected. As it's the OEM RSR wing and used on the 2011 R /RSR / Hybrid cars I doubt they would have build a wing that affected the performance?

Here is a little vid of Pete and Paul until they pass me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_eA0HPvMek
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Ah, so you are doing the inconel versions. Looking forward to seeing and hearing your review on this solution. Turnips...lol...

Just thought, wonder if SuperTrapps could be adapted to bolt up to center muffler? Restrictive vs flaps closed? Heavy, or no?
The supertramps don't work out. I've seen people put them basically closed and then drill extra holes in the end plate, etc. Just doesn't work. Some have tried various mufflers from Berns Stainless, hot rod cans, straight through resonators like the Magnaflow. You name it. The thing that works with no fuss is the turnip and no apparent power loss, but still, on a cloudy day, I have to flip the switch to bring on the side cans (and you can feel the power loss.) If these elbows didn't work, I'd be trying an internal conic resonator, but at least for a stock setup, this is enough. I can go wide open and stay left and that's enough.

By the way, I'm aiming to get to Reno this weekend. I'll know tomorrow-ish. Any recent videos from the track as it stands today?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Looking good my friend! How did you make it through the sound restrictions on that day lol?!? Got pipes:P

BTW... Mooty is every GT3'ers hero!

Quick Reply: 3 GT3RS at Laguna Seca