Old 07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Laguna Seca Sound ... check! ... problem (finally) solved

Here's the solution:
These tips are as simple as they look.
With these on, a 997.1 GT3 or RS or 997.2 GT3 or RS can run wide open 3rd or 4th gear past the sound check station at Laguna Seca and be under the 92 dB limit.
I also put on the (brilliant) side muffler butterfly valve actuator control switch (thanks mikymu!) and it works fine "quiet" mode on its own (just a flip of the switch while downshifting into T5, then flip it back to "loud" as you downshift into T6 and no complaints from the sound check monitors. But I'm sure it costs some power up that long uphill straight. So the elbow tips are great.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i know sometimes they have someone with a roaming microphone that hangs around front straight and pipes normally bent away from the sound station are now pointed right at them. wasn't just the switch enough to pass without problems?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrering
i know sometimes they have someone with a roaming microphone that hangs around front straight and pipes normally bent away from the sound station are now pointed right at them. wasn't just the switch enough to pass without problems?
Right -- the switch alone with stock tips works fine.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are the elbows secured into the existing tips as not to expel out?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:56 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

who made the elbows?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:27 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
It is obvious this worked for Carrera GT because I was there. However I have had the best luck pointing the exhaust at a 40 degree left to the ground. It seems to knock off at least 2DB from the reflection. I run a resonator in my BMW race car that seems to work unless it is foggy.

We need to post a thread of everyone's Laguna Pipes. There is some pretty interesting apparatus out there........
Old 07-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Here's the solution:
These tips are as simple as they look.
With these on, a 997.1 GT3 or RS or 997.2 GT3 or RS can run wide open 3rd or 4th gear past the sound check station at Laguna Seca and be under the 92 dB limit.
I also put on the (brilliant) side muffler butterfly valve actuator control switch (thanks mikymu!) and it works fine "quiet" mode on its own (just a flip of the switch while downshifting into T5, then flip it back to "loud" as you downshift into T6 and no complaints from the sound check monitors. But I'm sure it costs some power up that long uphill straight. So the elbow tips are great.
I cant resist ...

"that will invalidate your warranty"
Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
How are the elbows secured into the existing tips as not to expel out?
Welded inside. There's not a lot of weight in those elbows -- you could make the same thing by getting a U stock and just stuffing it in there and putting in a couple of short bolts through the sidewall (which would also make it easy to run the pipes at other angles (such as for another track where the sound check is on the other side.)
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by inverterman
It is obvious this worked for Carrera GT because I was there. However I have had the best luck pointing the exhaust at a 40 degree left to the ground. It seems to knock off at least 2DB from the reflection. I run a resonator in my BMW race car that seems to work unless it is foggy.

We need to post a thread of everyone's Laguna Pipes. There is some pretty interesting apparatus out there........
I've tried just about every configuration to get past sound and this is the first one to work on a 997.x GT car. It pulled about 6 dB out of the reading (down from 95.2 to 89.5) The same setup angled at 90 degrees (sideways) didn't work and I've tried down at various angles and with turn-downs.

This is the only setup that has no restriction on the outlet. Another setup at the track last weekend had the two 3 inch outlets combine into one 3 inch. It's only for a four inches of pipe length, so it's probably not a lot of restriction, but it's still a restriction. That design ends with a small downturn.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
who made the elbows?
These were a one-off hand fabricated set I borrowed from another guy in the paddock because it was working on his 997.1 GT3. Just a piece of U stock welded into the factory tips.

I believe Alex at Sharkwerks has a batch of adjustable tips going into production, so for anyone wanting "nice tips" I'm sure his product will be good. Having the ability to adjust through any range of angles will be handy for other tracks. Being able to remove the elbows for the drive home will be useful too.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:31 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep with CarreraGT's prodding and another Brit's help we should have something shortly. We'll be sure to make it so it fits the new RS' too
Old 07-15-2010, 12:56 AM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know if these will work with the GMG exhausts? Will the tips/elbows still bring the DB level below 92db?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:16 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
Does anyone know if these will work with the GMG exhausts? Will the tips/elbows still bring the DB level below 92db?
It works with the rear muff delete from Sharkwerks insofar as other posts here have said the exhaust flapper valve switch works with the delete pipe and I know this elbow tips solution works with the switch on wide open loud, but I don't know if it works with other delete pipes. The delete pipe is pretty simple, so long as it doesn't increase the exit pipe diameter at the flange (where the tips bolt on) I wouldn't expect a difference.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Sound ... check! ... problem (finally) solved