Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010/11 GT3 RS vs Turbo S Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:34 PM
laelops
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2010/11 GT3 RS vs Turbo S Help

Hoping for a bit of advice from those with real world experience. My 2010 GT3 was recently totaled (less than 2k) and my dealer couldn't get another one so I have a September build slot for a turbo S. However a few GT3 RS's have come available in the bay area and I'm of two minds.

Car will be mostly a daily driver, would like to track/autocross more but realistically with schedule, baby on the way, etc. will be 3 - 5 times a year (hopefully a bit more).

Logic (and my wife, and dealer) says turbo S, but a little piece of me keeps whispering RS in my ear.

Thoughts?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Rs for sure, turbos are dull in comparison
Old 08-15-2010, 11:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

RS all the way. No brainer.

It is already a legend.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, how was your GT3 totaled? I would imagine the damage must have been very substantial, but hopefully nobody was hurt.

Anyway, if you loved your GT3, my vote would also be for the RS. Neither car will be ideal for the baby on the way, so you'll need another family car regardless. OTOH, if you didn't like your GT3 as a daily driver, then perhaps the Turbo S.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 AM
laelops
Intermediate

swerved to avoid a deer in the road and caught tree in left rear which damaged the engine. Loved the GT3 and was fine as a daily driver for me, wife thought a bit extreme. We have new C Hybrid as other car, baby comment was more of emergency could put seat in back of turbo but not front as would do sport buckets in either car.

The one issue I have with RS as daily driver is the cage, kills space i used quite a bit in GT3.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you're okay after the write-off, so hopefully you just hit a Pelican and crashed into the lake, right ... ?

Anyway, personally, the RS is very much the track car. If that's your bag, then it's a no-brainer. If you want an all-rounder that will make short work of the RS on the track and the street in the hands of a competent amateur, the Turbo S is (literally) unbeatable. The problem with the Turbo S is cost -- it's expensive to start and it will depreciate like the airworthiness of a brick thrown from an upper storey window. I'd like to have one, but I can't begin to justify the total cost of owning the thing once you factor in either a crappy lease proposition or vicious depreciation. I have a C4S with PDK and I have the Turbo S (as a used car in say 18 months) on my radar as a very appealing "next one" while we await the interesting versions of the 991.

If your dealer takes $30K off the Turbo S (seriously!) that's when I'd start to debate its merits compared to the RS. I don't know that any dealer is in that much of a hurry. My dealer has two nice Turbo S examples and said "they're expensive, but they're selling" when I broached the topic of the kind of discounts we saw on the '09 cars last year. No dice. But you never know until you put your money on the table. Work a deal now and a full court press on the last day of the calendar month and you could well see them keen to book a $120K sale. Just make sure you get a Porsche lease on the thing to protect your 6:00 on the resale. And please post back here if you go the route of the Turbo S ... I don't see too many posts here from serious owners and I think it's a great 911 completely separate from the new RS (which really is the apex of the naturally aspirated 911's.)
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by laelops
swerved to avoid a deer in the road and caught tree in left rear which damaged the engine. Loved the GT3 and was fine as a daily driver for me, wife thought a bit extreme. We have new C Hybrid as other car, baby comment was more of emergency could put seat in back of turbo but not front as would do sport buckets in either car.

The one issue I have with RS as daily driver is the cage, kills space i used quite a bit in GT3.
there is no cage in RS.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Basically you asked the exact same question that I asked about 6 years ago when I joined another forum.

My decision was to buy the turbo which I loved as a road car and loathed as a track car. So therefore it comes down to how much you are going to track the car. If it is only going to be 3 - 5 be years as you say, then stick with the Turbo S for sure.

The power in the Turbo gives you instant gratification which is awesome for normal road use and grand touring however the biggest negative is without doubt the sound which is not even close to a GT3.

Regarding the baby situation, I can talk on a similar level as I have 2 girls under 2.5 years.

Realistically, you probably won't use either cars as a baby taxi. Once those seats are fitted in the Mum Mobile they traditionally stay there.

When my first was born, I actually sold my Turbo as I never got to enjoy the car on the weekends with my wife as we went everywhere in the X5.

So why did I order a RS? Simlpy because, every 2nd or 3rd weekend my wife stays at home whilst I drive in a Porsche club events or take the car for a spirited drive up the hills with some friends.

I hope that I didn't confuse the hell out of you??????
Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Hoping for a bit of advice from those with real world experience. My 2010 GT3 was recently totaled (less than 2k) and my dealer couldn't get another one so I have a September build slot for a turbo S. However a few GT3 RS's have come available in the bay area and I'm of two minds.

Car will be mostly a daily driver, would like to track/autocross more but realistically with schedule, baby on the way, etc. will be 3 - 5 times a year (hopefully a bit more).

Logic (and my wife, and dealer) says turbo S, but a little piece of me keeps whispering RS in my ear.

Thoughts?
Didn't you include the phrase "My 2010 GT3" in your post? That means you bought a GT3 one tme already.
And now you ask what to choose? A GT3RS or a TurboS.

I don't get these threads. If real at all.

John

Last edited by 911SLOW; 08-16-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM
laelops
Intermediate

yes I owned a 2010 GT3 and loved it, but have never owned a Turbo so was asking for advice as another GT3 was not readily available. I did not add a cage to my GT3 only a sharkwerks exhaust.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:01 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Given the baby and indicating that it will be a DD,I have a feeling you would be much happier with a turbo S...rather than an RS.....
My advise get both,( you just need to work a bit more
Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

yes I owned a 2010 GT3 and loved it, but have never owned a Turbo so was asking for advice as another GT3 was not readily available. I did not add a cage to my GT3 only a sharkwerks exhaust.
new white GT3 at fletcher jones porsche as of yesterday.

oh, and if you are serious, i have a 2011 OPEN spec GT3. i need to know now.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
new white GT3 at fletcher jones porsche as of yesterday.
oh, and if you are serious, i have a 2011 OPEN spec GT3. i need to know now.
the used 2010 with 28xx miles on it for 119,xxx??? I think its priced at or near MSRP despite having mileage on it...
Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

oh, so their idea of NEW was different than mine.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
oh, so their idea of NEW was different than mine.
configurator on this is 128,xxx so the discount w/CPO is $11k ...

h'mmm ...

Quick Reply: 2010/11 GT3 RS vs Turbo S Help