Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010/11 GT3 RS vs Turbo S Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

get an RS ... you will have more fun, and it probably wont depreciate as badly, *and* it will be more attractive to sell on later if/when that is something you want to do!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

If you hadnt already had a GT3 I would say Turbo S, given your life style. But SINCE you had a GT3 already you wont be happy with the Turbo. You drank from the nectar vessle already. Its too late to go back, unless you have a HUGE capacity for reason.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
get an RS ... you will have more fun, and it probably wont depreciate as badly, *and* it will be more attractive to sell on later if/when that is something you want to do!
Sage advice. If only more buyers would listen to such prescient wisdom!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,886 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
correct. that's why my RS is waiting for you.
i only do $50k over.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Sage advice. If only more buyers would listen to such prescient wisdom!
Originally Posted by mooty
correct. that's why my RS is waiting for you.
i only do $50k over.
You Guys!

You may be faster ... but I am prettier!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add some more fuel to the fire, based on your 90% street and 10% (or less) track, I would buy a Turbo S. I've owned two Turbo's, a 2010 GT3 and I now have a 2011 GT3RS along with the Turbo S. I bought the GT3RS as a 80% Track car and 20% Street car. The RS is perfection on the track. But on the street it is a two hour car for me. The non adjustable seat backs and limited storage (I did add a roll bar), make the car a chore to drive on longer road trips. The tire roar on certain types of pavement is also deafening. So I went out an added a Turbo S to the fleet as my 100% Porsche Road car. It has Sport Adaptive Seats, so the comfort level ramps up quite a bit. The lower exhaust and cabin noise levels are greatly appreciated on longer road trips. If I could only buy one it would be the RS because I run 20-25 track days a year. But in your case with only 3-5, I'd opt for the comfort factor. And as a previous poster said, the TT, particularly the S has a tremendous amount of WOW factor in street use. I still have finger nail marks in my passenger side dashboard. I opened it up on a highway on ramp. My passenger quickly sunk their nails into the dashboard as their eyes got real wide..
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
"I opened it up.." "..quickly sunk their nails into the.." "as their eyes got real wide"
Can we really write stuff like that here?

John
Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

LOL............ Good use of editorial skills
Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
Just to add some more fuel to the fire, based on your 90% street and 10% (or less) track, I would buy a Turbo S. I've owned two Turbo's, a 2010 GT3 and I now have a 2011 GT3RS along with the Turbo S. I bought the GT3RS as a 80% Track car and 20% Street car. The RS is perfection on the track. But on the street it is a two hour car for me. The non adjustable seat backs and limited storage (I did add a roll bar), make the car a chore to drive on longer road trips. The tire roar on certain types of pavement is also deafening. So I went out an added a Turbo S to the fleet as my 100% Porsche Road car. It has Sport Adaptive Seats, so the comfort level ramps up quite a bit. The lower exhaust and cabin noise levels are greatly appreciated on longer road trips. If I could only buy one it would be the RS because I run 20-25 track days a year. But in your case with only 3-5, I'd opt for the comfort factor. And as a previous poster said, the TT, particularly the S has a tremendous amount of WOW factor in street use. I still have finger nail marks in my passenger side dashboard. I opened it up on a highway on ramp. My passenger quickly sunk their nails into the dashboard as their eyes got real wide..

Well written.

I agree 100%
Old 08-20-2010, 04:24 PM
DanR
Drifting

glad you were ok!

Originally Posted by laelops
swerved to avoid a deer in the road and caught tree in left rear which damaged the engine. Loved the GT3 and was fine as a daily driver for me, wife thought a bit extreme. We have new C Hybrid as other car, baby comment was more of emergency could put seat in back of turbo but not front as would do sport buckets in either car.

The one issue I have with RS as daily driver is the cage, kills space i used quite a bit in GT3.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:55 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the Bay Area, and I agree that a Turbo S will be a more practical 90% DD / 10% DE car.

Our local roads condition is not good (a bit better in the last year due to some repairs), nor neighborhood around (the flashy GT3RS colors and carbon wing will attract some unnecessary attentions in DD.)

In my opinion, a low-key color (grey-ish) Turbo S with Adaptive Sport Seat will be more enjoyable and less stressful as a 90% DD in the Bay Area.

Regards,
Old 08-22-2010, 06:37 AM
DanR
Drifting

buy the turbo S and then a race car and go out racing is my advice!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 PM
laelops
Intermediate

After much indecision I decided not to make a decision. Picked this up (quick snap on way home) and have GT3 on order for December build. Wife falling in love with S, so may be able to pawn it off on her.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess, if you can't decide, just get both. Makes perfect sense to me, lol.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:49 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laelops
Hoping for a bit of advice from those with real world experience. My 2010 GT3 was recently totaled (less than 2k) and my dealer couldn't get another one so I have a September build slot for a turbo S. However a few GT3 RS's have come available in the bay area and I'm of two minds.

Car will be mostly a daily driver, would like to track/autocross more but realistically with schedule, baby on the way, etc. will be 3 - 5 times a year (hopefully a bit more).

Logic (and my wife, and dealer) says turbo S, but a little piece of me keeps whispering RS in my ear.

Thoughts?
I would recommend to look for a used 2010-11 GT3/GT3 RS. There are lots around and the market is good for the buyer. Because Porsche pushed the production so much more on the RS, resale is holding no better than regular GT3s. I have seen used low mileage RS' in the low $120's. Realize if you take delivery on a new Turbo S, that the depreciation will be pretty bad for the first 2 years.

Quick Reply: 2010/11 GT3 RS vs Turbo S Help