Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

unfookingly unbelievable car - Larry Cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

A little bit OT: All these talks about people shipping their cars over to drive the tracks in Europe. What is the procedure involved in shipping your own car over to Europe to used for a month or so and then ship it back? Is it something that's very expensive? Or it is something that's manageable if you plan ahead of time? Insurance? etc.

It looks like you guys had a fantastic time.. congrats!!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:28 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
BTW I want to publically thank Jim for being so kind as to let me drive his new RS around the Ring, when we got into the car I think I said something about "I wont get on it ..." but once I got on the track the amazing performance and handling of the new RS was such that it begged to be driven "at speed"

I certainly kept it below what I would have driven my own car at, but I really appreciate Jim letting me exercise the beast ... I had a tremendous time driving the car, and I think Jim had a similar time in the passenger seat ...

I dont know how to thank him ... but thanks are most definitely in order...

BTW Jim forgot too mention that he himself won a trophy in his group up against some stiff competition including a couple of Nissan GT-Rs from the US!

well done Jim, many many thanks again, see you at the ring soon I hope!
you welcome! my pleasure! I had a great time and learned so much. I may even go out next weekend. That last lap I did with you leading me was my 50th!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
A little bit OT: All these talks about people shipping their cars over to drive the tracks in Europe. What is the procedure involved in shipping your own car over to Europe to used for a month or so and then ship it back? Is it something that's very expensive? Or it is something that's manageable if you plan ahead of time? Insurance? etc.

PM me your email info and I'll put in touch with the 2 gentlemen that shipped their GTR's over. One of them has done it two years in a row now out of NY. I think they mentioned the boat ride alone was pretty cheap <$2K and it takes about 2 weeks from the east coast. They said compared to renting a far cheaper sports car for the track events they did, it was cheaper to ship their own cars anyways. Both had US license plates.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
This school is great and even though a BMW event, it was comprised of about 20 GT3's it seemed. (GT3 and RS - 997.1, and 997.2)
There were 3 White and one Grey 997.2 RS. Jean Claude who posts on here occasionally has a yellow 997.1 GT3 with steel brakes and he can really fly. I think on his graded lap he did a 7:42 bridge to gantry.

This school is held every august and the only way to learn the ring unless you speak german. For the first 2 days the course is split up into 11 sections and you repeat them 15+ times with instructors leading a small group of 10 cars (14) participants. Before each section begins we drive out slowly and then hop out to walk the more technical corner in that section and talk about the ideal school line with detailed maps. During lapping, the coaches can hop in and help with the line. Whenever i followed our lead coach in his C2S I thought I was doing great until i hopped in his car or with jean claude and they proceeded to double my speed through the same section!

Before the school i was lost on all but maybe 10% of the track. Now I am good for about 70% which is huge. My lap time while very very slow has been dropped by a full minute and at least I know where i'm at. I have a great video of myself driving with Larry giving clear instructions talking through an entire 2 laps and I'll post that for anyone wanting to check it out. It also helps to memorize the section names and be able to identify them because its the only way you can communicate with anyone who knows what they are doing on the track.

The last day you have a full graded lap in the morning with open lapping in the afternoon (not public lapping, just for our school). The graded lap was fun bc they have the instructors hidden in all the major corners and they score you for precision and appropriate speed. I don't remember ever feeling so nervous! They work out the timing so you feel you are pretty much alone on the entire track. It was really fun though.

-Jim
thanks for laying that out-- the instruction seems great and the entire process looks pretty manageable. whille i've always wanted to go there, admittedly, i've been intimidated by what i imagined to be great difficulty in learning that track. thanks!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,341 Posts
Default shipping your car...

Originally Posted by carrering
PM me your email info and I'll put in touch with the 2 gentlemen that shipped their GTR's over. One of them has done it two years in a row now out of NY. I think they mentioned the boat ride alone was pretty cheap <$2K and it takes about 2 weeks from the east coast. They said compared to renting a far cheaper sports car for the track events they did, it was cheaper to ship their own cars anyways. Both had US license plates.
I met a guy last year that shipped his M3 from NJ to Germany as the GT-Rs did this year at the school. I also previously exported my '04 GT3 to the UK when I went back there in '06 so I have some experience with this process.

If you ship your car in a 20' or 40' container it is prohibitively expensive ... over 10-15k each way, this is not viable unless you are planning on living over there.

The cheapest way is to find a RoRo (Roll On, Roll Off) car shipment/ferry company like the ones the various car companies like Porsche use to ship their cars from europe to the US. Harms is one used by BMW and Porsche I think.

These apparently run around $1.5-2k one-way and take about 2-3 weeks to ship (from the east coast). It may cost a little more on the return trip due to availability etc

Once you have located one of these the next thing to deal with is importation and insurance, you can temporarily import a foreign car into the EU without incurring any taxes or requiring to register it as long as you: a) re-export within 6 months, and b) it must be legally registered in your home country for the duration of the visit.

Then insurance, my experience is that it is difficult to find a european insurer who will insure your car in europe temporarily without also registering it, (this is a PITA since some DOT stds are not compatible with EU and vica versa etc) however some US insurance companies such as GEICO will provide european coverage for the US cars you can find this information on their website.

Also note, that if you do not have clear title on your car then you need permission of the lienholder to export the vehicle, US and EU customs require this.

hope this helps!

- Larry
Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
thanks for laying that out-- the instruction seems great and the entire process looks pretty manageable. whille i've always wanted to go there, admittedly, i've been intimidated by what i imagined to be great difficulty in learning that track. thanks!
its not easy, its about 4x to 5x longer than any other track around and there are a lot more turns, camber changes, and blind corners than just about anywhere ...

it took me 2 schools to really start to get familar with the basic line, and about another 3-5 years of yearly visits to really "get" it ...

The BMW school I think is probably the best way to learn it quickly and safely but it also takes quite a few laps to really come to know it ...

I lost count of how many I have done now ... but its in the mid-100's since I started going in '03...

please seriously think about coming to the school next year ... it's always the 1st week in August, and not only will you have fun learning and driving the track you will also meet a great bunch of people too!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan

Keep in mind that Porsche has a stipulation on new sales that the car not leave the USA. This might not apply to every car, but it was in the paperwork for the RS.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

I've been going to the ring about once a year since around 2003 so I have a few hundred laps under my belt ...

This was my 1st year as instructor/coach so that was fun ...

funny you should mention the accident possibilities ... checkout the M coupe on the inside of briedscheid bridge!!!

not fun!

a few hundred laps at the 'ring! man, you do deserve an RS
speaking of which, looking forward (reluctantly) to hear your thoughts comparing RS to nonRS on the track. different mags say the wider front track/tires improving handling prolly among the most noticeable difference.

yup, it was that mcoupe in the vid (on the inside of that corner, no less) that prompted that observation. i guess that's part of the 'ring's charisma
Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Keep in mind that Porsche has a stipulation on new sales that the car not leave the USA. This might not apply to every car, but it was in the paperwork for the RS.
WOW ... I wonder why they added that? invalidates warranty?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW ... I wonder why they added that? invalidates warranty?
So the cars can't be all shipped straight back out of the US to the richer countries where people pay premiums.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

please seriously think about coming to the school next year ... it's always the 1st week in August, and not only will you have fun learning and driving the track you will also meet a great bunch of people too!
Larry, i think i'll have to do it. seriously!
this will be my 2nd chance for euro delivery (missed it 1st time)

fantastic thread, guys.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

speaking of which, looking forward (reluctantly) to hear your thoughts comparing RS to nonRS on the track. different mags say the wider front track/tires improving handling prolly among the most noticeable difference.

yup, it was that mcoupe in the vid (on the inside of that corner, no less) that prompted that observation. i guess that's part of the 'ring's charisma
One of the things that I did as a driving coach this time was to discuss the accident hotspots that I am aware of all around the track and how one could
get into such accidents. While there is opportunity to crash "anywhere" there
are a number of places where it happens commonly.

Breidscheid Bridge is one of those places, as you might notice from the video the car was on the inside of the bridge on the left side. I suspect that what
happened here was that he entered the bridge too fast and lifted or lost it
when crossing the noticable bump that plagues the apex in the middle of
the bridge ...

they spun into the wall on the left, bounced off, and spun ... and dumped fluid
all over the exit line ...

knowing where these hotspots are and what the causes might be really helps
taming the beast!!!

That's the value of all the laps there!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Larry, i think i'll have to do it. seriously!
this will be my 2nd chance for euro delivery (missed it 1st time)

fantastic thread, guys.
tell me when you do, I'll try and meet you there!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I have'nt taken my '10 GT3 to a track yet, I am afraid that I will notice the difference in suspension and also the different final ratio+LWFW as well ...

boo hoo ... sniff sniff I should have listened to those (you know who you are) who told me to get an RS ... you were right ...

anyone want a low mileage mexico blue GT3?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Oh ... one other interesting note...

I was driving a non GT3 car at the ring (by another german car company with a 3 in coMmon) in which I got seriously spanked by several .1 and .2 GT3's and RS'es ...

I was very impressed with the dual clutch technology on that car, less so with the electronic nannies which repeatedly got in the way despite having turned as many of them off as I could!

GT3 uber alles ...

Quick Reply: unfookingly unbelievable car - Larry Cable