Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great driving,,,, respect to you ...
Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
Here is a lap with me driving and Larry coaching from passenger seat. This is at the end of the last day of the school and my 49th complete lap so far over the past 4 years. I started the school with 30 laps. Finished with 50.
Great stuff. What lap times did you and Larry do?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I think its about a 9:10 for me bridge to gantry in the video he is talking me through. First video had numerous delays, but I think Larry was on an 8 minute B2G pace. He was on fire once he had open track. The cleaner lap with him driving is slower pace as he is talking me through it while driving which is hard enough to do on a normal track. Larry is real Larry King. Jean Claude is an astronaut stuck in a road car.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think its about a 9:10 for me bridge to gantry in the video he is talking me through. First video had numerous delays, but I think Larry was on an 8 minute B2G pace. He was on fire once he had open track. The cleaner lap with him driving is slower pace as he is talking me through it while driving which is hard enough to do on a normal track. Larry is real Larry King. Jean Claude is an astronaut stuck in a road car.
Larry was a tad under 8:00 B2G last I heard of his PB -- in an '07 GT3. He was driving the RS as if delivering it to Attila the Hun and aware of the consequences of a mishap. I'm guessing the new RS is worth 1 second per minute in amateur hands over a GT3. I'd "extrapolate" Sir Larry's times B2G to be approaching 7:50's. I find this hard to believe. I suspect Larry is on steroids ... assuming Bay Area micro-brews are now using steroids ... or "channeling" Sabrine. In any case, very decent driving.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:22 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

he did drink about a dozen black ice teas and i swear i saw steam coming from his helmet after the drive. they say if you look under the lining of larry's helmet there are pentagrams and his nipple is in the shape of the nurburgring.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
sigh ... living within a couple of hours of that track must be unique ...

the number of people that show up for tourist laps in the evenings during the
week is amazing ...

imagine sitting at work on a Wednesday afternoon and thinking "to hell with it ... lets go to the track!!!

sigh
That's what i used to do all the time...especially once they started doing open laps on the Gran Prix portion of the Nuerburgring. I'd drive down there after work and do a few sessions before driving home.

Sadly, now I'm in Oklahoma...
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
according to the video timeline we did a 8:16 BtoG but we gave up a lot of time behind the 993, at briedscheid due to the accident, behind the Turbo S, and the other RS at the end of the lap ... so I am "guessing" we would have probably gone under 8mins ... but nowhere near JC's 7:42 ...

I really had to back off behind the 993, Turbo S Cab and that other RS ... its a PITA ...

My PB was 8:00 in the '07 GT3 ... I think I could probably get into the 7:50's with the RS without too much more work ... with a little less traffic in the way!

Last edited by Larry Cable; 08-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Larry was a tad under 8:00 B2G last I heard of his PB -- in an '07 GT3. He was driving the RS as if delivering it to Attila the Hun and aware of the consequences of a mishap. I'm guessing the new RS is worth 1 second per minute in amateur hands over a GT3. I'd "extrapolate" Sir Larry's times B2G to be approaching 7:50's. I find this hard to believe. I suspect Larry is on steroids ... assuming Bay Area micro-brews are now using steroids ... or "channeling" Sabrine. In any case, very decent driving.
I'd love to channel Sabine!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

he did drink about a dozen black ice teas and i swear i saw steam coming from his helmet after the drive. they say if you look under the lining of larry's helmet there are pentagrams and his nipple is in the shape of the nurburgring.
actually I have tatooed the nordschleife where I can study it in detail!

Last edited by Larry Cable; 08-11-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 PM
micahbones
Racer

Larry, how did the handling feel on the 997.2 RS relative to your GT3? Did you notice the extra width of the front track & tires?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by micahbones
Larry, how did the handling feel on the 997.2 RS relative to your GT3? Did you notice the extra width of the front track & tires?
I'd like to be able to say, but since I haven't taken the GT3 on track yet its difficult to make a comparison ...

my guess is that I probably cant tell a difference, I think the LWFW and the lower final gear ratio are more noticable between the two ...
Old 08-11-2010, 03:34 PM
markus_t19
Advanced

Default GT3 vs RS

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd like to be able to say, but since I haven't taken the GT3 on track yet its difficult to make a comparison ...

my guess is that I probably cant tell a difference, I think the LWFW and the lower final gear ratio are more noticable between the two ...
just to add to that:
on the same event i had a teamate who drove a GT3 MkII (with 1000+ laps on the ring) doing a couple of laps my new RS. it was a mind-blowing experience as he was going so much faster than me (which in turn helped me to improve by 5 sec).
his comments were
- overall the RS is noticably better but in an incremental way
- more planted (eg after the jumps)
- feels like more power (some of that feel probably due to the lower dearing ratios).
Markus
Old 08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markus_t19
just to add to that:
on the same event i had a teamate who drove a GT3 MkII (with 1000+ laps on the ring) doing a couple of laps my new RS. it was a mind-blowing experience as he was going so much faster than me (which in turn helped me to improve by 5 sec).
his comments were
- overall the RS is noticably better but in an incremental way
- more planted (eg after the jumps)
- feels like more power (some of that feel probably due to the lower dearing ratios).
Markus
definitely incremental, it *is* more stable I think (certainly than the 997.1) and I agree the extra bhp+LWFW&ratios does help ...

mostly for me the suspension was "just right" not too stiff, not too soft, and the steering was amazing ... very little detectable understeer, all in all the
driveability was lacked any noticable flaws, even when I introduced some of
my own ...
Old 08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

side note on PCCB. Just measured my rotor thickness today using digital caliper. did this after delivery and at 3000km mark. Car now has 6600km. After 2 track days at Porsche driving school and 4-day Ring School complete with 20 laps + sectionals + Larry beating crap out of my car the rotors have worn exactly 0.00mm on all rotors. yep, exact same thickness. actually the rear right was +0.01mm from last time. i recalibrated and measured again and got same thickness. measured across three separate sections of each rotor. The car is on oem pads still and no electric nannies were turned off..not even on larry's laps. I'm probably just not going fast enough, but good to know so far no drama with my new brakes. love the PCCB's!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

side note on PCCB. Just measured my rotor thickness today using digital caliper. did this after delivery and at 3000km mark. Car now has 6600km. After 2 track days at Porsche driving school and 4-day Ring School complete with 20 laps + sectionals + Larry beating crap out of my car the rotors have worn exactly 0.00mm on all rotors. yep, exact same thickness. actually the rear right was +0.01mm from last time. i recalibrated and measured again and got same thickness. measured across three separate sections of each rotor. The car is on oem pads still and no electric nannies were turned off..not even on larry's laps. I'm probably just not going fast enough, but good to know so far no drama with my new brakes. love the PCCB's!!!
AWESOME! ... it only occurred to me afterwards that we should have turned on "sport" and perhaps disabled SC and/or TC as well ...

having said that, I dont think I detected the electric nannies cutting any at any time which I think is a great improvement over the .1 cars where it would heat the rear rotors a lot ...

this was in contrast to the M3 that was operating in "M Dynamic Mode" (only because it could not be turned off entirely!) which was intervening quite a lot (much more than .1 GT3 TC) ...

PCCBs rock!

it would have also been interesting (again I forgot) to try PASM Sport as well.

sigh next year jim!

Quick Reply: unfookingly unbelievable car - Larry Cable