Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Race-Keeper data system

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AllenJ: Please check the 'wish list'. Racekeeper says that the accelerometer fsd will be able to be set by the user with release 2.0 (due out in early December).
Old 11-10-2010, 12:55 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone figured out how to get good sound from the racekeeper microphone? I've tried under the seat, in the glovebox, under the carpet on the rear shelf (where it says GT3), and just sitting in the open on my roll bar. Sound is poor and very si liar from every location. Sounds like it's got a lot of distortion or is too 'loud' and then deteriorates, especially as the speed increases. Run de's with the usual windows open etc. My herohd camera picks up the sounds much much better just using it's built in mike, and bolted to the roll bar which is odd as the racekeeper mike appears a pretty decent unit.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Sound is poor as long as windows are down no matter where you place the mic.....worth mentioning that the Dual stream feed is essential for a good 2nd image...system is real easy to operate
Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've tried everything with that damn mic. It doesn't work. I've also tried taping it down completely covered, it still produces "wind" noise, so it's clearly not wind noise, it's not adjusting to the cabin sound levels.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

^ At the PSDS the mic worked well (windows always up)
Old 11-10-2010, 01:06 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billstevens61
AllenJ: Please check the 'wish list'. Racekeeper says that the accelerometer fsd will be able to be set by the user with release 2.0 (due out in early December).
Excellent! Thank you very much, Bill.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malmasri
^ At the PSDS the mic worked well (windows always up)
It would be interesting to know how they achieved that. I did some laps at Thunderhill on a private day with the windows up and it still roared like I was in an bi-plane. I've since had the mic completely enclosed in a wind sock, taped inside the glove box, under the rear engine shelf cover (good engine pick-up, but still "wind" noise) and even inside my helmet.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:50 PM
FLM911
Racer

Not that I am an expert but sounds like a volume gain issue where the racekeeper system doesnt seem to dynamically adjust or allow manual gain setting which would help stop it 'roaring' and breaking up when it gets loud in the car. Wind noise seems part of the problem, but the main issue seems to be where the sounds just breaks up when the volume in the car increases and then clips the audio.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLM911
Not that I am an expert but sounds like a volume gain issue where the racekeeper system doesnt seem to dynamically adjust or allow manual gain setting which would help stop it 'roaring' and breaking up when it gets loud in the car. Wind noise seems part of the problem, but the main issue seems to be where the sounds just breaks up when the volume in the car increases and then clips the audio.
The only control in the software is to set the mic for "open" or "closed" cabin, AFAIK.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:53 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The only control in the software is to set the mic for "open" or "closed" cabin, AFAIK.
The folks seem willing to keep the software updated and respond to issues. Post your comments on their forum and it might be a defective mic or maybe the software needs tuning.

I haven't installed mine yet. Been too busy and no more track days around here for a while now. Next one for me is next March or April.

I'll try to get it installed before my insurance expires in a couple weeks. Does the mic sound crappy at 70mph with the windows open? I really don't want to hit 130mph on our local highways.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You are thinking SmartyCam. It has that option to adjust. RaceKeeper has no sound adjustments
Old 11-12-2010, 11:24 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Guys, take a look at some of the sample sessions on the Race-Keeper website. Most sessions are in racecars with open or near open exhaust. But there is one session from a PCA event at Road America.

The store description of the mic says that the capture software has Automatic Gain Control. If your audio is not the same quality, give the home office a call.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

could someone post pictures of how you mounted it in your GT3? I need to put this thing in and use it. i would prefer to just have it stay in the car hooked up except for the gps antenna when not in use. don't want a bunch of wires all the place though. thanks.
-jim
Old 11-13-2010, 12:59 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by carrering
could someone post pictures of how you mounted it in your GT3? I need to put this thing in and use it. i would prefer to just have it stay in the car hooked up except for the gps antenna when not in use. don't want a bunch of wires all the place though. thanks.
-jim
Jim: Please provide a little more information. Do you use the car as both a street and track car, or is it a dedicated track car? How much interior is still stock - passenger seat? carpet?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrering
-jim
The only mounting position I've seen is behind the passenger seat on the floor with the connectors facing the front of the car (this can be changed in the software, but that's the default.) Power comes from the cig lighter in the passenger front foot well. Wiring to the cameras is routed routed around the rubber seals at the windows and under the edge of the carpet and cabin trim easily enough. The GPS antenna can reside on the rear parcel shelf inside the car with adequate reception. The forward facing camera goes on the inside of the windshield on the passenger side of the rear view mirror. The cabin interior cabin (if included) goes on the rear window at the top of the glass -- either in the center or to the passenger side facing on an angle to capture the driver, steering wheel and gearshift. The rear facing camera goes on the inside of the rear glass at the bottom to align below the rear wing (of a GT3 or RS.) The wires can't be cut (except for power) so they have to be coiled and zip-tied to manage the excess length. I leave them under the passenger seat.

Quick Reply: Race-Keeper data system