Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Race-Keeper data system

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Race-Keeper data system

If anyone has been to the PSDS and seen the in car Cam and Data system which is superior to the Track mate...I have had someone test it in my cay last weekend and the data you get is amazing and easy to use...I am gonig to be oredring the system... If people have interest perhaps we can get a Group buy??
I have no relation to the company just passing my opinion and the info to the forum.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
If anyone has been to the PSDS and seen the in car Cam and Data system which is superior to the Track mate...I have had someone test it in my cay last weekend and the data you get is amazing and easy to use...I am gonig to be oredring the system... If people have interest perhaps we can get a Group buy??
I have no relation to the company just passing my opinion and the info to the forum.
There's been a thread here on data acquisition mentioning RK along with AiM, etc.

I like the RK system, but it's a bit "new" and I've met some of the people there (when they've been at PSDS a couple of times) and they're keen to be the best. I noticed some early bugs which have lingered and may still be a problem, but overall, it's an appealing solution at a viable price point (if you want a permanently installed system with multiple cameras.) I'm still not clear on their level of integration, the frequency of the GPS actual data, bus data sampling rate, etc. I've been patiently exchanging emails with TriVinci (vendor) but I've run out of time, since we're already into the "season" for amateur track events, so I went with the handy-dandy SmartyCam, which has its advantages.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:35 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Carreras GT, how's the video quality of the smartycam. I've been holding out for an HD version but it might just not be worth if the quality is decent. I like the direct plug into our ECU's too.

07 GT3RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
77 911S
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing Race Keeper pulls tons of info right from the car like the AIM system?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:29 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

The only thing RK pulls from the vehicle is power...everything else is from GPS It automatically recognise the track and break it up into sections so you see your time and speed in each section, it also gives you you lap time..average time and so many more that I did not have the time to look at.
It is amazing
Old 06-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by daedton
Carreras GT, how's the video quality of the smartycam. I've been holding out for an HD version but it might just not be worth if the quality is decent. I like the direct plug into our ECU's too.
SmartyCam is 720p -- I think this is ideal. 1080P is just bigger files and irrelevant for the most part. The spec is H.264 -720x400 pixel @ 30fps at about 2GB per hour. With the automatic stop-start set up, you can probably get a whole day on a single 2GB card -- certainly on a 4 GB.

I'm not sure how well RK or AiM (SmartyCam) really get data out of the street cars, but they both have interfaces to allow for access to the CAN BUS (which can access a lot of useful analog car data. I've posted here about this in other threads.)

As for subjective video quality, there's examples at the vendor site:

http://www.smartycam.com/on-board-ca...es-gallery.htm
Nice Cup video:
http://www.smartycam.com/on-board-ca...ce-mar2010.htm

The video is clear and stable, the camera adapts well from in-cabin light to outside glare and it compensates for vibration. I believe there's an external mic which explains the remarkably good audio.

I'm confident AiM will meet their commitment to update the firmware for the SmartyCam. The unit itself is robust and 'industrial' as if someone really tried to think through what they were building. It's submersible for diving (shallow) and suitable as a helmet cam, so I'll be using it snowboarding/mountain-biking/wakeboarding. If it serves well in those purposes (I'm keen to get some downhill skiing with the GPS speed and G forces ...) then I can go ahead with add-on AiM bits (shift light, timer, OBD interface, etc.) or get a whole new system if I get a dedicated track car. And for $1000, if I don't want it, I'd say loss on resale is maybe $200, so it's not much of a liability to try it.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

RK has an adapter that connects to the can-bus.
I like the RK cause it records all data from the day to a key drive. No post processing required.

Savyboy needs to chime in as he has RK and another system... how does he like it
Old 06-11-2010, 12:26 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both- a SmartyCam w/ ECU bridge in Mr. Spyder and a RK w/OBDII/CAN Bus adaptor in my poor beleaguered RS.

Both have pros/cons. I would say in a nutshell a Smartycam is good for a quick plugnplay setup for the average DE folks. Mine has had an audio problem and they are sending me another as after efforts, we can't get it right. Customer service there is good (RK CS is good as well). Their Porsche specific ECU bridge protocol doesn't work (on a DFI Siemans ECU), and you have to use a generic protocol which limits data that can be accessed.

The RK has some really cool features that make it more appropriate for the serious tracker and data analysis hound. Also it seems to integrate better with the ECU (both DFI and Metzger).

RK will automatically paint your track maps. SC has some maps you can preload but not all tracks.

To get lap times you have to walk SC to the Start/Finish line and take a GPS fix so it knows where it is. RK figures out start/finish when it draws its course map.

SC is a PITA to calibrate the accelerometer (unless you have a swivel neck- your neck, not a mount neck), RK is easy.

RK is awesome for comparing lap to lap data, no can do with SC.

Auto shutoff on SC seems to work troublefree. RK auto on/off setting must be properly tweaked or you will have a memory card full of "your greatest pit moments".

SC eats up memory and the supplied 4gb microflash card is NOT ENOUGH for even a four session track day. Lucky for us, there is now a 32gb microflash card that just came out ($200). A 16 gb flash card for RK will last three track days. Reason- SC video is bigger and sharper. Don't know specs but CarreraGT sounds up to speed on that.

SC is about a 10 minute physical install. RK is about one hour for your first install and maybe 30 minutes after that if you take it out or switch cars.

I am sure I have overlooked a bunch of stuff..

Last edited by savyboy; 06-11-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Added lap time info
Old 06-11-2010, 10:20 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

^ So if you have to get one today which one will it be?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malmasri
^ So if you have to get one today which one will it be?
Tough call, really based on an individuals needs.

If you don't mind a bit of tinkering to install, and plan to leave installed, RK is the "better" unit. RK doesn't easily go in/out of the car. Mini-cams are attached by a thick doublesided tape to windshield.

If portability is important, then you probably want a SC which is fully contained and attached to a RAM windshield suction mount.

Also, RK can provide up to four separate cam inputs, SC is one.

Best ot carefully review each website.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Savyboy, thanks for the review of the systems!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,620 Likes on 751 Posts

Thanks for posting.

This weekend is last chance for Traqmate. If I can't get it to work perfectly I am giving up.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 245 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks for posting.

This weekend is last chance for Traqmate. If I can't get it to work perfectly I am giving up.
Details? Whats been going on with it?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Trackmate is the least user frienldy system on the market IMO.
Saveyboy: I plan on getting RK system and have it hardwired into each car (power, cams, mics, antennas)
and move the box from one to another, Thanks for the input
Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Details? Whats been going on with it?
Same here, what is the problem with the Traqmate?

malmasri: Also why are you saying the Traqmate is the least user friendly on the market? What else have you used? My experience with all the data systems out there for $1000 or less the Traqmate is the easiest to setup and use. Over that price there are some others that work better for data but their software isn't as easy to use for the average DE user. Would love to hear your experience.

Quick Reply: Race-Keeper data system