Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Race-Keeper data system

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

car has carpet. interior is stock. clubsport cage installed. its both a street and track car. thanks for the description CGT. how did you secure the unit to the floor and mount the GPS antenna to the parcel shelf?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
car has carpet. interior is stock. clubsport cage installed. its both a street and track car. thanks for the description CGT. how did you secure the unit to the floor and mount the GPS antenna to the parcel shelf?
Double-sized "heavy duty" Velcro to the carpet. Not great, but seems to be adequate.

I'd recommend putting a small, thin plate under one of the bolts holding down the rear of one of the seat sliders and then securing to that with dzus d-ring quick release or something like that to make it mechanically secure in terms of projectiles in the cabin in the event of the unthinkable.

If you have the "ruggedized" "HE" version, there's a mounting bracket available from RK. It's on my winter to-do list. I also want to put on some of the analog pick-ups for brakes, steering angle and suspension position, but there's not enough channels, so I'll have to do multiple configurations (put in all the sensors and connect "sets" of pickups for various tasks ... I'm really curious about how much "squat" the rear achieves at aero speeds with the wing.) That and fixing the Mic problem. I also want to mount a permanent in-cabin video out. FYI, the iPhone display is almost invisible. Great idea, but the iPhone 4 doesn't have enough brightness/contrast to be useful. Especially if you're wearing sunglasses or a tinted visor. Needs a rethink. Great concept and technology, just misses.

For the antenna, it's just sitting there with the cable pushed into the gap between the parcel shelf cover (covers the electronics sitting on the firewall) with "GT3" badge. It stays put.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Did most of you buy the SE Green or the HE Black?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:19 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx CGT.

I bought the SE version. Thinking of removing more of the rear carpet and mounting it in the middle of the car for more accurate left/right lat-g values. I know I'm being way too picky, but it's the engineer in me and besides, my car is way too heavy so it can lose a little weight.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

I just ordered the SE version. Thank you Carrera GT for the help on the PMs.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carrering
I have also seen the system mounted in the glove box. Another alternative would be to fabricate a bracket to fit under the dash like a two-way radio.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Double-sized "heavy duty" Velcro to the carpet. Not great, but seems to be adequate.

I'd recommend putting a small, thin plate under one of the bolts holding down the rear of one of the seat sliders and then securing to that with dzus d-ring quick release or something like that to make it mechanically secure in terms of projectiles in the cabin in the event of the unthinkable.

If you have the "ruggedized" "HE" version, there's a mounting bracket available from RK. It's on my winter to-do list. I also want to put on some of the analog pick-ups for brakes, steering angle and suspension position, but there's not enough channels, so I'll have to do multiple configurations (put in all the sensors and connect "sets" of pickups for various tasks ... I'm really curious about how much "squat" the rear achieves at aero speeds with the wing.) That and fixing the Mic problem. I also want to mount a permanent in-cabin video out. FYI, the iPhone display is almost invisible. Great idea, but the iPhone 4 doesn't have enough brightness/contrast to be useful. Especially if you're wearing sunglasses or a tinted visor. Needs a rethink. Great concept and technology, just misses.

For the antenna, it's just sitting there with the cable pushed into the gap between the parcel shelf cover (covers the electronics sitting on the firewall) with "GT3" badge. It stays put.
You have the HE system?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:31 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
You are thinking SmartyCam. It has that option to adjust. RaceKeeper has no sound adjustments
doh! You're right.
Originally Posted by AllanJ
Thx CGT.

I bought the SE version. Thinking of removing more of the rear carpet and mounting it in the middle of the car for more accurate left/right lat-g values. I know I'm being way too picky, but it's the engineer in me and besides, my car is way too heavy so it can lose a little weight.
I agree with the "polar moment" positioning of the unit, but I also agree it's just for the sake of the it, not for the real world importance.
Originally Posted by 996toomey
I just ordered the SE version. Thank you Carrera GT for the help on the PMs.
You guys move quickly! I worked over the choices for nearly two seasons!

Anyway ... so ... two sales in one day ... where's my kick-back from RK ... ?

Originally Posted by billstevens61
You have the HE system?
Yes. I want it to be swappable to an open car where rain could be an issue. And the HE has a cradle option. The only downside to the HE is a reduced number of analog channels.

I also have the self-contained battery option, so it's effectively something that, when I have two cars at the track, I can literally unplug (three cameras, OBD, mic, USB, gps, wifi) and reconnect it in the cradle in the second car -- presto. And the software recognizes the second car, second driver, track config -- so the data is neatly organized when I flip through the videos and want comparisons.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:51 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
doh! You're right.

I agree with the "polar moment" positioning of the unit, but I also agree it's just for the sake of the it, not for the real world importance.

You guys move quickly! I worked over the choices for nearly two seasons!

Anyway ... so ... two sales in one day ... where's my kick-back from RK ... ?

Yes. I want it to be swappable to an open car where rain could be an issue. And the HE has a cradle option. The only downside to the HE is a reduced number of analog channels.

I also have the self-contained battery option, so it's effectively something that, when I have two cars at the track, I can literally unplug (three cameras, OBD, mic, USB, gps, wifi) and reconnect it in the cradle in the second car -- presto. And the software recognizes the second car, second driver, track config -- so the data is neatly organized when I flip through the videos and want comparisons.
I label the connectors on the three camera cables so that they don't get mixed up. I have a customer in Detroit who swaps a single unit between three cars. Works ok until they combine groups and two of their cars have to run in the same group.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Just got the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports. Race-Keeper has a very interesting ad. Look real carefully!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Xhead
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FLM911
Not that I am an expert but sounds like a volume gain issue where the racekeeper system doesnt seem to dynamically adjust or allow manual gain setting which would help stop it 'roaring' and breaking up when it gets loud in the car. Wind noise seems part of the problem, but the main issue seems to be where the sounds just breaks up when the volume in the car increases and then clips the audio.
Hi Guys,

First, let me thank you all for the opportunity. It is our hope that everybody is happy with their systems and to that end, please let Bill or me know if there is anything we can do to help.

Now, a quick note regarding the mic and sound quality. After trading emails with FLM911 it appears that he has a bad microphone. The replacement should solve the problem.

There are a number of things which will affect sound quality. Mic placement is certainly one of them but the mic itself can convert vibration into distortion if it is not securely mounted. The easiest method is to zip tie the mic body directly to a rigid structure in the car (like the roll cage or seat mount).

All of the hardware, including the microphone, used in the PSDS cars is the exact same hardware we ship to all of our customers. So if your sound quality is not up to those standards, take a look at location and mounting. Beyond that, I would assume a defective mic. Also, we offer a wind cover (called a "dead kitten") on our website. It does a great job of reducing wind noise.

I will be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

Steve Hoelscher
Sale & Marketing
Trivinci Systems, LLC
Old 11-19-2010, 01:42 PM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

Is the buy still on? If so , I want the HE version.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:09 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mojom3
Is the buy still on? If so , I want the HE version.
Mojom3: PM'd you.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xhead
Hi Guys,

First, let me thank you all for the opportunity. It is our hope that everybody is happy with their systems and to that end, please let Bill or me know if there is anything we can do to help.

Now, a quick note regarding the mic and sound quality. After trading emails with FLM911 it appears that he has a bad microphone. The replacement should solve the problem.

There are a number of things which will affect sound quality. Mic placement is certainly one of them but the mic itself can convert vibration into distortion if it is not securely mounted. The easiest method is to zip tie the mic body directly to a rigid structure in the car (like the roll cage or seat mount).

All of the hardware, including the microphone, used in the PSDS cars is the exact same hardware we ship to all of our customers. So if your sound quality is not up to those standards, take a look at location and mounting. Beyond that, I would assume a defective mic. Also, we offer a wind cover (called a "dead kitten") on our website. It does a great job of reducing wind noise.

Steve Hoelscher
Sale & Marketing
Trivinci Systems, LLC
Good to see you "here" Steve!

I've tried everything with that damn mic. I'm guessing I've got a defective unit, too. Is there a way to connect an after-market mic? Can I just cut it, put a connector in-line and try another mic? I'd like to jack the RK into the cabin intercom.

ps. I've now experimented with three of the neighborhood cats and still no luck. Is there a particular age or breed of kitten that works best?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:20 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

My RK arrived FedX on Friday afternoon. Time allowing I will be installing next week. I am sure I will be back here asking for help.

Quick Reply: Race-Keeper data system