Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I know what you mean about the vids.

Maybe it's too much beer tonight, but what's FSD?
Geek speek: "full scale deflection" (an analog gauge which has the indicator needle against the "pin" that prevents the needle from rotating off the dial scale)
Old 10-10-2010, 12:23 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Geek speek: "full scale deflection" (an analog gauge which has the indicator needle against the "pin" that prevents the needle from rotating off the dial scale)
Gotchya. As you can tell, I haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Harold
I ended up with the Racelogic Video VBox Lite ... quality software for analysis alongside video later.
Nice comparison software for the VBOX-- being able to see the vehicle position on the line (not just the distance point around the track) is pretty compelling. I wonder what kind of GPS sampling resolution they achieve to be able to position the car location within 10cm or whatever -- I see they advertise a 100Hz unit (at $6K+) but I wonder if there's a differential beacon or something to improve the fix?
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2010, 01:02 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those videos remind me of some computer software "training" videos (say a video editing application) that spends time showing how "to open a file, left-click the 'file' menu and move the mouse so that the cursor, the small, white arrow on the computer display, points at the word 'open' in the list of words that appears below the word 'File' in the File menu.) Truly bizarre. And the "calibrate" video shows no means of calibration, it shows how to change the orientation of the accelerometer according to the installed orientation of the RK box. Useful knowledge, but it's nothing to do with a calibration or range and scale adjustment. Second, the "zeroing" or "center" of the accelerometer is fun, too, but again it's not calibration, it's just a reset of the zero -- this doesn't help with the problem of the "bubble" continuously pinning FSD. At least the data graph does rescale. I wonder if there's a way to get actual raw data out into a spreadsheet?
Yes, the videos are very basic. Just meant to get you going. As far as I know, there is no way to change the range on the accelerometer displays ( the graphics cross, like a friction circle, as opposed to the graph). One thing you might try is to zero the accelerometers. The accelerometers are zeroed when they leave the plant. If you mount the systems unit in the car, at a place that is not level (let's say it's tilted forwards, just a little) then the accelerometer will be off, and the unit will think that you are braking, even when the car is at rest. If you navigate on the website to 'Support', 'Discussion Forums', 'Support' you can see additional information, including a utility to run on the box once it is installed in your car, that zeros the accelerometers to the particular orientation in your car. Be sure that the car is perfectly level before doing this.

About exporting the raw data, I have requested this some time ago (look in the Wish List section of the discussion forums.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:13 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Default Focusing the cameras

Damn. I knew the pipe wrench was the wrong tool for the job.
There is actually a detailed description of focusing the cameras on the website. Navigate to the 'Support' page, then 'Discussion forums' and then the 'Race-Keeper Discussion' forum. There is a description of how to focus the cameras. I like using a cheap DVD player that has a 'video in' port so I can actually see what the cameras are seeing, real time. Switch the system to single stream and connect the camera that you are focusing to video port #1. If you have a good 12v power supply outside of the car, you can even do this indoors.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:33 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billstevens61
As far as I know, there is no way to change the range on the accelerometer displays ( the graphics cross, like a friction circle, as opposed to the graph).
...it would be nice if the default range was +/-1.5g instead of the tiny range they have now, if they can't get to a GUI mod any time soon. 1.5g will cover most sports cars (although a local A-MOD autox car can do 3g in the corners!)

Cheers,
Old 10-11-2010, 02:09 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Nice comparison software for the VBOX-- being able to see the vehicle position on the line (not just the distance point around the track) is pretty compelling. I wonder what kind of GPS sampling resolution they achieve to be able to position the car location within 10cm or whatever -- I see they advertise a 100Hz unit (at $6K+) but I wonder if there's a differential beacon or something to improve the fix?
Check out their manual. The resolution is 10cm, however their 'absolute positioning' accuracy is +-5m 95% of the time. Also, you have to download a map of the track that they provide to show the path of a car around a circuit. If they don't have a track map for the track you are at, you will have to create one using the procedure they describe which involves driving around the course with the antena mounted in a specific place on your car, and driving around once on the left side and once on the right side, again subject to the +-5m accuracy.

I am not saying that this in not useful, or cool. It all depends on how much time and money you are willing to put into data/video acquisition systems.

If you need to increase accuracy, you can get a DPGS unit that transmitts correction data to the GPS receiver.

The sampling rate 10Hz or 100hz just defines how much data you are collecting. A higher sampling rate will generate a lot more data in the same amount of time.

It's like the units that advertise that they have two GPS receivers and can plot the angle that the car is moving. But very simply, if you have two receiving antena's 3 meters apart with a 5 meter accuracy, they could tell you that the back of the car was in front of the front of the car (hopefully this is not the case!!!!! cause then you would be traveling backwards). This may be very simplistic, so correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

...it would be nice if the default range was +/-1.5g instead of the tiny range they have now, if they can't get to a GUI mod any time soon. 1.5g will cover most sports cars (although a local A-MOD autox car can do 3g in the corners!)

Cheers,
I'll check and see what the deflection scale is for the acceleromter graphics (not the graphs).
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 365 Posts

....If they don't have a track map for the track you are at, you will have to create one using the procedure they describe which involves driving around the course with the antena mounted in a specific place on your car, and driving around once on the left side and once on the right side, again subject to the +-5m accuracy.....
Where can we obtain a list of the tracks for which there are maps?

alternately is there a map for Lime rock, Watkins Glen(long), Monticello(full)?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Where can we obtain a list of the tracks for which there are maps?

alternately is there a map for Lime rock, Watkins Glen(long), Monticello(full)?
Bill: Sorry, I thought I responded to you, but I may not have hit the send key.

Their website is www.racelogic.co.uk or their US outlet - www.vboxusa.com. Although I could not see anything about downloading track maps from their site.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Bill: Sorry, I thought I responded to you, but I may not have hit the send key.

Their website is www.racelogic.co.uk or their US outlet - www.vboxusa.com. Although I could not see anything about downloading track maps from their site.
billstevens61 -- Karma win to you. You've got the second most laid back sales operation on the planet.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 365 Posts

Ok, they appear to have LimeRock but not the others
Old 11-02-2010, 10:29 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

I'll check and see what the deflection scale is for the acceleromter graphics (not the graphs).
I found a way to determine what full deflection is on the accelerometers. If you look at the accelerometers in video mode, and advance frame by frame, you will notice that the accelerometers go from a dot to a dot with a circle around it at full deflection. Advance the video to the point where the dot appears and switch to the standard or graph display (press either 'x' or 'g'), and the value for the accelerometer will be displayed on the right side of the window.

When I checked, it looked life full deflection was about .9 g's.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

When I checked, it looked life full deflection was about .9 g's.
That's way too low. Not sure how the programmers came up with that number unless they tested it on a Toyota Tercel and assumed sports cars would be a little higher.

Like I said earlier, if they can set the default to be 1.5g for now and add a GUI update later on so the user can change it, it would make the accelerometer useful. Right now there is no point in using it when it'll max out so easily.

Cheers,
Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

That's way too low. Not sure how the programmers came up with that number unless they tested it on a Toyota Tercel and assumed sports cars would be a little higher.

Like I said earlier, if they can set the default to be 1.5g for now and add a GUI update later on so the user can change it, it would make the accelerometer useful. Right now there is no point in using it when it'll max out so easily.

Cheers,
Allan: Please go to the Race-Keeper website, click 'Support' then 'Discussion Forums' and 'Wish List'. I have submitted your suggestion. Check here for an resonse.

BTW, there are only two months more to register for their New Year's Eve giveaway - a SE system. This is open to everyone! Even if you have already purchased a system! Present users will have their choice of a second system, or a refund of the system price.

Quick Reply: Race-Keeper data system