Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track video and data synch options

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
but might i suggest this: YOU at AiM PRE-program all track before you sell it. there are a finite number of existing tracks world wide. it's not that hard to input it. i have no interest of programing the starting coordinate on my data system. that's one reason i chucked my data system... well several of them.
Jordan, I'll volunteer to setup the eastcoast Canadian tracks (I've already set Mosport, Calabogie, Mt. Tremblant, Cayuga and Shannonville) and put them online for you to use to support Mooty's idea.

Farz
Old 05-05-2010, 12:53 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wonderful...

but might i suggest this: YOU at AiM PRE-program all track before you sell it. there are a finite number of existing tracks world wide. it's not that hard to input it. i have no interest of programing the starting coordinate on my data system. that's one reason i chucked my data system... well several of them.

looking forward to your latest.
lol

John, we need to shoot a commercial with you next to the smarty cam with an "easy" button

Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

wonderful...

Should they put some lap times in there too? : )

Actually, of course, having some pro laps in there for comparison, especially in a similar car, like any 997 GT car, would be valuable.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wonderful...

I thought I said that?? Ee do provide a database of tracks in the software, both US and Europe. You can have 50 tracks stored in the GPS module. We don't have all the tracks in the world...Way too many. But like I said you simply select the tacks you want to be stored and press a button in the software and viola! Tracks, tracks and more tracks.

By the way, all data systems require coordinates be input at some point. Either while driving or prior to getting t the track.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

wonderful...

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
This will be a firmware update to existing units?

The next PCA regional event is May 21st -- will your update be released by then?

When you say "auto power on" is that as a standalone or does it require a separate AiM device?

In terms of data analysis, what's the extent of the data capture set and the analytic?

eg.
"best theoretical lap"
"throttle position"
"brake pressure"
"steering angle"
"apex speed"
"apex G"

Thanks for posting to Rennlist.
Not sure when, but it will be firmware for the camera and if you want to log more than the camera see's you will either need a logger or an ECU bridge.

Auto On works if the camera is wired to keyed or switched power. It see's the voltage and turns on, when the car moves it starts to record. If connected to a logger or ECU bridge it records with RPM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Jordan, I'll volunteer to setup the eastcoast Canadian tracks (I've already set Mosport, Calabogie, Mt. Tremblant, Cayuga and Shannonville) and put them online for you to use to support Mooty's idea.

Farz
Thats great. All I need are the lat and lon coordinates and I can add them to our database. If you have a map I can add that as well. KML of clean lap or GPK file would be great.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

wonderful...

ALL the tracks are in there Mooty. SmartyCam is as easy as it gets and NO post editing is required. The telemetry is recorded overlayed to the Video. you just need to (have your pit crew? ) download the vids from the microSD card.

You can improve the dashboards already available, but using any of the existing ones is fine. All my recent vids are from the SmartyCam:

Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
lol

John, we need to shoot a commercial with you next to the smarty cam with an "easy" button

what do i do with the EASY button?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanAiM
I thought I said that?? Ee do provide a database of tracks in the software, both US and Europe. You can have 50 tracks stored in the GPS module. We don't have all the tracks in the world...Way too many. But like I said you simply select the tacks you want to be stored and press a button in the software and viola! Tracks, tracks and more tracks. .
sorry i missed that part. i got it now.
as you can see, i am SLOW. thus i need EASY system.

By the way, all data systems require coordinates be input at some point. Either while driving or prior to getting t the track.
understood. but i just dont want to be the one who inputs them. someone else can do it for me.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure when, but it will be firmware for the camera and if you want to log more than the camera see's you will either need a logger or an ECU bridge.

Auto On works if the camera is wired to keyed or switched power. It see's the voltage and turns on, when the car moves it starts to record. If connected to a logger or ECU bridge it records with RPM.
So will the SmartyCam logging include anything other than GPS/accelerometer data?

If it needs a separate logger -- aren't all AiM loggers pretty expensive ($2K+)?

If it needs an ECU bridge -- is there a plug-n-play OBD-II connection or an ECU "wedge" without splicing wiring in the Porsche itself?

Will the logged data work in AiM data analysis software? Does that include "best theo lap" or segment times?

Does the firmware update mean it will be possible to do post-editing on the video (and do things like position on track, color coded brake/accel position) ?

Lots of questions. It would be good if AiM could publish a FAQ page on the SmartyCam. It looks like a great product, but the Web site is vague and I think people will be disappointed if they think they're getting a data acq product when it seems to be basically video camera with some interesting GPS value-add. And the price to add on AiM data acq puts it straight into the price range of Traqmate and RaceKeeper etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Jordan, I just tried the smartycam today in my spec racer ford which has the Evo4 installed. I thought that the video was embedded to the memory key? Not so? Also, when I downloaded the data to analyze, it did not show my fastest laps that were displayed in car. Not sure where they went. thanks Jim
Old 06-22-2010, 04:26 PM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

i had the chase cam pdr 1000 w/bullet cam + traqmate set up for the past 2 years.

it was pretty simple to use, but obviously little nuances that one had to get used to.

just switched to the Go Pro HD and am still using the traqmate.

Mikymu - the newest version of Traqstudio v3.xx, is compatible with HD camcorders.

Here is a video I made of a track event last weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcGHiFA6js

Last edited by DarkSideEwok; 06-25-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:51 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Jordan, another question. When I download the movies they are in an AVI format. How do I put it in a format that I can burn to a DVD. Thanks! Jim
Old 06-23-2010, 01:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

i had the chase cam pdr 1000 w/bullet cam + traqmate set up for the past 2 years.

it was pretty simple to use, but obviously little nuances that one had to get used to.

just switched to the Go Pro HD and am still using the traqmate.
See my signature below, no sound, no gear and I'm not sure it got synced right..
Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
See my signature below, no sound, no gear and I'm not sure it got synced right..
Hey

I just had to change the output to either avi or wmv for the audio to be collected.

the gear is either 3-4-5 in my car, and you can see that with the placement of the shift ****.

either way, the traqmate is GREAT, but like most powerful things in life, you just have to learn how to use it.

Quick Reply: Track video and data synch options