Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track video and data synch options

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:37 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdxjim
GT and Cobrien, I have the aim setup and have been searching around for a price on the smartycam. How much for camera only? thanks
I'm not sure. Have you checked online?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:53 PM
BelMaseto
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using Race Technology DL1 + DASH3 + Video4 + OBD connection.

Lots of data, superb analysis software and great support. Wire all parts and do software setup is not really easy at the beginning, but when done, you only need to start the system and enjoy.

Regards.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:53 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Have checked online and no prices.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Have checked online and no prices.
It's about $999.00

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...-8&q=smartycam

I want to endorse the local race shop where I got mine:

Andrie at http://www.prima-racing.com/

Local racer, great customer service. : )
Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
It's about $999.00

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...-8&q=smartycam

I want to endorse the local race shop where I got mine:

Andrie at http://www.prima-racing.com/

Local racer, great customer service. : )
2nd that. andrie is a good friend and very fast driver.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:03 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

very nice information guys. Sorry to hear Peter had so much hard time getting his traqmate working. Smartycam is plenty easy but I don't think it has a in-car display that tells your segmental or lap time like traqumate. Chasecam is nice but does not record HD.

Traqmate and traqstudio are not easy to use but provide alot of useful information and you can create HD video like the one below but it's not mooty approved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDUzQ9rlHCY
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

Makes me wanna go back to Barber, it's been 2 years!
Your video seems better quality then mine!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like my Traqmate, as I get realtime lap times (no need for laptop) and can check them in the garage after a track session, it is not user friendly to install in a GT3 (it was painful to do it myself).

Funny thing is that the F430 has a 4 plug connector that has RPM, ground, and 12v + and it is all I needed to get the Traqmate to work.

The traqmate is very sensitive to where the gps antenna is located, on the dashboard it doesn't work too well, I had mine at the top of the rear window. Obviously, external placement of the gps antenna works the best.

I'm up for an easy plug-and-play data/video synchronized system.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AIM Evo4 + Mychron3 dash has worked out very well for me; it's exceeded expectations in terms of learning (especially when a pro drives the car and shows me what it can really do!). Once they release the predictive lap firmware, it will be the perfect solution.

All you need is to tap two wires to get more data than you know what to do with. For the 997.2 folks, you don't even have to tap any wires, just plug in the OBD2 connector from AIM and you get the same data.

I don't know how good the video/data synching is though because I do that externally using Trackvision.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM
GT3 GIRL
Intermediate

Wink

Thanks guys, great info on the thread. I have been looking into what set up to get for my car as well and have been thouroughly confused and frustrated. It seems that at this time there is no "perfect" set up.
Has anyone looked into or have experience with a VBox? the system looks pretty user friendly and the software system can be customized to a number of car dash displays. Not sure how eay to use the software is, but at least it looks like there is a lot of support on the website.
I like that it is an all in one box for the video and data, and also has the 2 camera setup option.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

I can simplify; See first who is fast, than get the same data logger so you can steal their data..
Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 GIRL
Thanks guys, great info on the thread. I have been looking into what set up to get for my car as well and have been thouroughly confused and frustrated. It seems that at this time there is no "perfect" set up.
Has anyone looked into or have experience with a VBox? the system looks pretty user friendly and the software system can be customized to a number of car dash displays. Not sure how eay to use the software is, but at least it looks like there is a lot of support on the website.
I like that it is an all in one box for the video and data, and also has the 2 camera setup option.
RaceLogic make some very good high-end stuff.

At present, with bugs in RaceKeeper and no data analysis in the SmartyCam, I'd be tempted to try the Vbox. It's "DriftBox" features (slip and pitch/roll) are interesting, if mostly for novelty. Prices add up quickly.

http://www.vboxusa.com/products-compare.php

The two-camera setup seems comparable to the RK 2 camera system, around $1800. I imagine that's no coincidence. But the Vbox seems to get expense ($4K) once you add on CAN channels, but there's no custom solution for Porsche in their list of supported manufacturers (only Boxster and Cayenne? Maybe they share a Siemens DME?)

http://www.vboxusa.com/products.php#vvblite
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 AM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Stay tuned for data recording to SmartyCam. We are in the final stages of being able to not only overlay all pertinent information on screen (already does this) but we are adding the ability to record the data in sync with the video to a separate folder on the micro sd card in SmartyCam. This will give you the best of both worlds. This truly is a hands free system. No need to turn it on (auto power on) no need to press record (auto record functions) No need to set a start/finish on SmartyCam (you can pre program all of you favorite tracks with our GPS Manager software). So just show up and go!!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanAiM
Stay tuned for data recording to SmartyCam. We are in the final stages of being able to not only overlay all pertinent information on screen (already does this) but we are adding the ability to record the data in sync with the video to a separate folder on the micro sd card in SmartyCam. This will give you the best of both worlds. This truly is a hands free system. No need to turn it on (auto power on) no need to press record (auto record functions) No need to set a start/finish on SmartyCam (you can pre program all of you favorite tracks with our GPS Manager software). So just show up and go!!
wonderful...

but might i suggest this: YOU at AiM PRE-program all track before you sell it. there are a finite number of existing tracks world wide. it's not that hard to input it. i have no interest of programing the starting coordinate on my data system. that's one reason i chucked my data system... well several of them.

looking forward to your latest.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jordanAiM
This will be a firmware update to existing units?

The next PCA regional event is May 21st -- will your update be released by then?

When you say "auto power on" is that as a standalone or does it require a separate AiM device?

In terms of data analysis, what's the extent of the data capture set and the analytic?

eg.
"best theoretical lap"
"throttle position"
"brake pressure"
"steering angle"
"apex speed"
"apex G"

Thanks for posting to Rennlist.

Quick Reply: Track video and data synch options