Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
Hey Mooty!!

That's the nice thing about the SmartyCam....you don't have to know anything. Charge up the battery, mount it, and go. The first time you go to a particular track you'll need to hit one button on the unit to tell it where the lap starts on the track....that's it. You get your video, and you get on-screen speed, lap time, lap count, etc.
sounds like my thing.
when you mean speed, lap time and all, you mean the smarty cam is connected with AiM... the camera itself does't have that capability or does it?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:24 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
sounds like my thing.
when you mean speed, lap time and all, you mean the smarty cam is connected with AiM... the camera itself does't have that capability or does it?
No, no data system needed. The camera has a built-in GPS unit and built-in accelerometers. So on its own it can give you lap times, a track map, speed, and G load. It automatically overlays your video with gauges containing that data as the video is recorded. It's about as easy as it gets.

If you have an AIM data system, you can OPTIONALLY connect the SmartyCam to it to access any of the AIM data and include it on the video as well. For example, my Cayman has an AIM data system, and I pull RPM and calculated gear info from that system to include in the video. But for the basics (speed, lap time, etc.) the SmartyCam is all you need.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

when you find one that looks good and is FOOL proof, email me.
i do mean FOOL proof.
There is a market for someone to sell it to us non racers. I want this to be plug&play with one button!!

I just got my Traqmate software updated, added HD camera module and Sony HD camera.
Spent a bunch of $$.

It took me 2 trips to the dealer to get it working. The Traqmante manuals are useless, even have wrong info.
You absolutely need a good dealer that offers training and installation. I think I found one, but he is also learing..

Traqmate HD is NOT YET READY!! They sell the camera and the module but the Traqmate sofware does not allow you to add HD film, so you have to record in NON HD. Maybe they will have the software updated soon.
I feel ripped off, why did I upgrade to the HD module and HD camera?? Could have told me before...

Also no suggestions on how to set up the camera, it should come with: "do this for in car filming". So you have to figure that out on your own also.
No suggestions on the microphone, so all you get it wind noise. It should come with a plug in microphone that you put onder the carpet or has some kind of wind baffle.
No suggestions for a wide angle lens (Useless witout it.), so you have to find one yourself.
Real basic, normal customer service, totally lacking at Traqmate.

I have not looked at the Smarty cam, but I hear on track that it is the easiest to use...
If I would start over, if would lean to AIM (many dealers) + Smarty cam.

I was about to e-bay my Traqmate, but I finally found a dealer one hour driving away, great guy, so I am trying again.
So far, no good. But I have not given up yet (Too much money and time invested.)
I did about 6-7 laps at Homestead raceway yesterday, but only got 1 lap on my Traqmate. It did not pickup start/finish the first laps, then it did for 1 1/2 laps and then it just stopped recording, while the camera continued recording. It should stop recording when the Traqmate does.

Frustrating after spending so much time and money...
My dealer suggested to override the pre-programmed start finish data manually when I hit start finish the first time. I will have to try at my next (First) event.
I will look at my 102 page manual on Monday.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 04-25-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

No, no data system needed. The camera has a built-in GPS unit and built-in accelerometers. So on its own it can give you lap times, a track map, speed, and G load. It automatically overlays your video with gauges containing that data as the video is recorded. It's about as easy as it gets.
So, the only thing missing for Youtube, not data analysis is RPM and gear? Or does it know that also?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
There is a market for someone to sell it to us non racers. I want this to be plug&play with one button!!

I just got my Traqmate software updated, added HD camera module and Sony HD camera.
Spent a bunch of $$.

It took me 2 trips to the dealer to get it working. The Traqmante manuals are useless, even have wrong info.
You absolutely need a good dealer that offers training and installation. I think I found one, but he is also learing..

Traqmate HD is NOT YET READY!! They sell the camera and the module but the Traqmate sofware does not allow you to add HD film, so you have to record in NON HD. Maybe they will have the software updated soon.
I feel ripped off, why did I upgrade to the HD module and HD camera?? Could have told me before...

Also no suggestions on how to set up the camera, it should come with: "do this for in car filming". So you have to figure that out on your own also.
No suggestions on the microphone, so all you get it wind noise. It should come with a plug in microphone that you put onder the carpet or has some kind of wind baffle.
No suggestions for a wide angle lens (Useless witout it.), so you have to find one yourself.
Real basic, normal customer service, totally lacking at Traqmate.

I have not looked at the Smarty cam, but I hear on track that it is the easiest to use...
If I would start over, if would lean to AIM (many dealers) + Smarty cam.

I was about to e-bay my Traqmate, but I finally found a dealer one hour driving away, great guy, so I am trying again.
So far, no good. But I have not given up yet (Too much money and time invested.)
I did about 6-7 laps at Homestead raceway yesterday, but only got 1 lap on my Traqmate. It did not pickup start/finish the first laps, then it did for 1 1/2 laps and then it just stopped recording, while the camera continued recording. It should stop recording when the Traqmate does.

Frustrating after spending so much time and money...
My dealer suggested to override the pre-programmed start finish data manually when I hit start finish the first time. I will have to try at my next (First) event.
I will look at my 102 page manual on Monday.
Thanks for elaborating. I had some of these questions and the answers were pretty thin -- and nobody bothered to mention the HD product is not yet available! That would have been an instant return.

If you want a "pro-sumer" level product, I think RaceKeeper is ideal. But keep in mind that at least one person here was having some troubles (inverted video signal.) From what little experience I've had with it, RK really is as simple as plug-n-play, it syncs three cameras, it comes with kits that include exactly the right camera for in-cabin, forward facing, outboard (roof, wheel, underbody for suspension or whatever) and it connects together with "harsh environment" seals if you think about how the cabin looks after a day at the track -- dust, rain -- you don't want anything with unprotected connectors, etc.

By the way, the SmartyCam is waterproof and submersible. : )

Getting back to Moot's "challenged" technical skills, it seems to me that as long as you can remember to turn on the SmartyCam, it's auto-start/stop feature means, every time you move more than a few mph, it will start logging. You finish a lap and you watch the lap on a laptop with the data overlays done (no need to learn to process the output data unless you want to get into it.) You can see braking points, G loads, apex speeds, segment times, etc.

If I decide I have to have a more complex system -- with more than one camera, other data acquisition sources and channels -- I don't know that I'd expand the system -- the module costs add up pretty quickly -- I think I'd just step up to the RK product.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I think for many the Smartycam is a simple easy cheap solution.

Traqmate might step up, or will prove unworkable, but I am giving them many benefits of the doubt.
if they can not make it work for me it is not for lack of trying on my part.

I will keep you posted the coming weeks. I will post a Youtube shortly. I was wrong above:
It did not pickup start/finish the first laps, then it did for 1 1/2 laps and then it just stopped recording, while the camera continued recording.
I was sitting in the pit for 5 minutes, it than timed 1 1/2 laps and just quit, no idea why. I am just merging the first lap data and video and loading on youtube to practice....
I like the RPM and Gear selection of the Traqmate system for Youtube stuff and once you get into the data analysis part, it is pretty useful to become a better driver, provided that you have some one better to set a baseline lap and or you have friends with the same car driving the same lap. It is fun to steal their data when they post a fast lap ;-)

At least now the camera comes on automatically and it is synced correctly with data.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 04-25-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:32 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

So, the only thing missing for Youtube, not data analysis is RPM and gear? Or does it know that also?
SmartyCam on its own has no RPM or gear info. If you have an AIM data system that provides that info then SmartyCam can pick it up, or it can get it from your ECU. In either case a cable and some hardware are required, but once the connection is there, it's always there.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:38 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Traqmate might step up, or will prove unworkable, but I am giving them many benefits of the doubt.

I will keep you posted the coming weeks. I will post a Youtube shortly. I was wrong above:

I was sitting in the pit for 5 minutes, it than timed 1 1/2 laps and just quit, no idea why. I am just merging the first lap data and video and loading on youtube to practice....
I like the RPM and Gear selection of the Traqmate system for Youtube stuff and once you get into the data analysis part, it is pretty useful to become a better driver, provided that you have some one better to set a baseline lap and or you have friends with the same car driving the same lap. It is fun to steal their data when they post a fast lap ;-)

At least now the camera comes on automatically and it is synced correctly with data.
With the Traqmate, getting the video and data synced is really just a question of getting their TraqSync cable connected between the Traqmate and the recorder. Once that's done, and the Traqmate has been configured to automatically start and sync the recorder, there should be no sync-related issues whatsoever. And in fact the Traqmate has been pretty bullet proof for me in the 3 or 4 years I've been using it. I've had a couple of power cords fail, but that's about it (sounds like you could be having a power issue as well)?

The drawback compared to the SmartyCam is obviously that you need to download the data, download the video, and then use the TraqStudio software to create a new video with data overlays. It's not difficult to do, but it is an extra step. At the same time, with the Traqmate system you have the actual data to look at and compare with others (or yourself), which is immensely valuable. With the SmartyCam you have "only" the video with the data it shows. So it really depends upon what you're looking for.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks Cobrien,

Agreed on the Syncing issue, it just took me 2 years to find a dealer/installer that knew how to install and program it to do so.
Maybe a power cord faillure? I don't know, I never had the traqmante just turn off on its own. Is it just the power cord that goes bad, any suggestions?
I'll order a new one. I'm all-in to make the Traqmate work!

Here is the first upload, I cut off the part where I am just sitting in pit out, so just 1 1/2 lap and it cuts out. This is recorded with the Sony HD Traqmate recommends in non HD, merged with Traqstudio with the data in high quality setting in AVI, then edited with Windows Movie Make (Cut of the waiting in pit part) that now has an option upload to Youtube. Much less work then before!

Never mind my driving, first lap out in the new car, the car is not that slow, it actually feels very, very good and fast.
I put on $700.00 a set General rain tires (See Tirerack) and I short shifted to break in the car ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chra98Ru-UY
Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien

If you have an AIM data system, you can OPTIONALLY connect the SmartyCam to it to access any of the AIM data and include it on the video as well. For example, my Cayman has an AIM data system, and I pull RPM and calculated gear info from that system to include in the video. But for the basics (speed, lap time, etc.) the SmartyCam is all you need.
that's great. all my bitchin comlain'g worked.
i will look into that!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was sitting in the pit for 5 minutes, it than times 1 1/2 laps and just quit, no idea why. I am just merging the first lap data and video and loading on youtube to practice....
But I like the RPM and Gear selection of the Traqmate system for Youtube stuff and once you get into the data analysis part, it is pretty useful to become a better driver, provided that you have some one better to set a baseline lap and or you have frinds with the same car driving the same lap. It is fun to steal their data when they post a fast lap ;-)
Rennlist could use a "data acq" forum to consolidate these threads from all over the place.

I like the way the Traqmate can give a best "theoretical" lap (and I think it, or one of the other systems can merge the video of the best theoretical lap segments.) The advantage being that you want consistency, so your best theo lap should be within a tenth of your average lap and the system should be finding a lot of segments are the same within a hundredth. Then you focus on consistency. Keep the best segments you're already controlling and work on the segments where you're inconsistent. Trying to do that with a stop watch and a tire temp probe would be hard. : )
Old 04-25-2010, 04:04 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
that's great. all my bitchin comlain'g worked.
i will look into that!
Completely true! I was talking to an AIM dealer, and he said "Yeah, this Mooty guy keeps complaining, and we're tired of it...."
Old 04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use ChaseCam.

It uses chasecam video and data, so its sync while it records, and dashware is the best software I have seen so far.

Only issue is video quality, no HD yet.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:09 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Thanks Cobrien,

Agreed on the Syncing issue, it just took me 2 years to find a dealer/installer that knew how to install and program it to do so.
Maybe a power cord faillure? I don't know, I never had the traqmante just turn off on its own. Is it just the power cord that goes bad, any suggestions?
I'll order a new one. I'm all-in to make the Traqmate work!

Here is the first upload, I cut off the part where I am just sitting in pit out, so just 1 1/2 lap and it cuts out. This is recorded with the Sony HD Traqmate recommends in non HD, merged with Traqstudio with the data in high quality setting in AVI, then edited with Windows Movie Make (Cut of the waiting in pit part) that now has an option upload to Youtube. Much less work then before!

Never mind my driving, first lap out in the new car, the car is not that slow, it actually feels very, very good and fast.
I put on $700.00 a set General rain tires (See Tirerack) and I short shifted to break in the car ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chra98Ru-UY

Nice video!

My first suspicion would be a power connection or power cord. I had a similar issue where there was a break somewhere in the power cord and as soon as I turned hard to the right it would shut down. I could immediately turn it on again, but under load on a right turn it would turn off again. Replacing the cord solved the problem. So I'd start there.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:33 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

GT and Cobrien, I have the aim setup and have been searching around for a price on the smartycam. How much for camera only? thanks

Quick Reply: Track video and data synch options