Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Just another GT3... But finally I have mine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Agreed! Planning to take it easy and familiarise myself with the feel and handling characteristics associated with rear engined cars... No brave stuff just yet...
yeah, just build up. congratulations mate, you are a very lucky man who has bought the gift that keeps on givin'.....

i drove one for a day at qr last november with thomas mezera and warren luff instructing...i thought i was pushing the car, but boy, was i wrong... when getting in the car with these guys driving, it was a whole new level. something to work towards for a few years!

i love this car - it's just so robust, hardcore yet subtle. other cars just don't compare.
one day....
Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Given Victoria's draconian speeding laws...you must be itching to let the "3" run
Yep, spot on Got a small taste in the sticks yesterday and it was exhilarating but far too risky with the way the focus has moved to "hoons" and "speeding" of late. At least on the track, its one less thing to stress about.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:40 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
yeah, just build up. congratulations mate, you are a very lucky man who has bought the gift that keeps on givin'.....

i drove one for a day at qr last november with thomas mezera and warren luff instructing...i thought i was pushing the car, but boy, was i wrong... when getting in the car with these guys driving, it was a whole new level. something to work towards for a few years!

i love this car - it's just so robust, hardcore yet subtle. other cars just don't compare.
one day....
I have contemplated doing the same course in qld but haven't just yet. Done all the mt cotton stuff but it wouldn't compare to qr... Hoping to get some quality track time at the local tracks with a race instructor in the future. Need to find a good local instructor soon to really show me the ropes...

Keep at it... you'll get there...
Old 04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CC911
still gaining the confidence to fully understand / trust how the car will respond, particularly at high speed the feel is more twitchy than I'm used to. Time in the seat is all that counts, and practising is so much fun.
Exactly what I think I'll have most trouble with early on, feeling and trusting response on turn in and exit (especially considering that it carries in so much more speed than previous cars I've driven) but as you rightfully point out its all about good guidance and seat time....
Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now if you could get to run Mt Panorama...main straight...flat stick.....

Ahh now that would be worth pursuing.

I chuckled quite a bit when the "Hoon" laws caught one Mr L Hamilton.....for giving his "rental" Merc some welly over the GP weekend.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

It was quite a sight and if I was Hamilton, I would have been proud of myself!!

The focus on revenue and "hoons" has left the police blind sighted to any other form of crime. Try getting a police unit to respond to a non agressive burglary or theft these days. They're too busy safeguarding maccas or catching the real crims... those doing more than 2 km/h over the limit...

Last edited by 911rox; 04-23-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 PM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

Hi Roxy,
I have just changed my location on my name. In South Aus. I also have a white one. There is a group of us heading out to PI on May 13. You will love PI in your car. You should be touching about 260kph down the straight.
Enjoy the car and maybe we'll catch up some day.

Ciao

Ps. The photo in my avatar is the straight at PI doing about 260kph. Are you going to set the car up for the track? It's worth doing.

Last edited by RS LOVER; 04-23-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:15 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Thats awesome dk! Hopefully we'll catch up at some of these track weekends... Are you heading down there on the 13th with a local Porsche club? or is it another PCA open day?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:18 PM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

It's a group of us from Adelaide. We booked the track and about 20 of us heading there. I can give you the details in a private PM.

Ciao
Old 04-24-2010, 09:45 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

don't sell that car! ( if it's yours that is on the market, that is)
Old 04-24-2010, 09:50 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
I have contemplated doing the same course in qld but haven't just yet. Done all the mt cotton stuff but it wouldn't compare to qr... Hoping to get some quality track time at the local tracks with a race instructor in the future. Need to find a good local instructor soon to really show me the ropes...

Keep at it... you'll get there...

qr is ok, but pretty small track with no elevation changes.....you'll love pi...lot's of room to play, and nice scenery to boot..
you'll meet instructors there, just take a few out and see who you like. the thing about this car is you sorta go in slow-ish then come out hard. the gearbox/brakes are awesome for tracking.
as dk said, you may wanna play with the geometry a little for the track. speak to somebody like peter fitzgerald or weltmeister. but it's also good to drive it std for a while to get to know it first.

if you ever go to ec, let me know, i'll come and join you guys.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:25 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

^^^ Thanx for the suggetions aussie jimmy, will definitely be in touch if I head up to ec...
Old 04-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This has become the thread of guessing expressions?

Has Australia published a new dictionary of all these mistaken expressions and declared them correct? I hate it when words "are snuck" (not the past tense of sneak or meaning sneaked!) into the language. It's hard enough to figure out what the hell an Aussie is saying without them making up new words all the "blinking" time! : )

"flat stick" doesn't mean "flat out" or "flat chat" or even "flat tack" (which is another mistaken attempt, it's really flat-as-a-tack, nothing to do with the notion of full speed) ... flat stick means golf club.

"kph" is keystrokes per hour, not kilometres per hour ("km/h") even though, yes, everyone uses kph. And some idiot on TV says "it's got over 300 torques!" when reviewing a given car ... blithering idiot.

"blind sighted" ... what? ... I guess that's "blind sided" but that means unprepared ... maybe "blinkered?" ... I Googled "blind sighted" but it just found a few company names and other sites where people were confused about blind-sided. Maybe an attempt at "turn a blind eye" but that means to intentionally allow by disregard, not to be unresponsive.

I know people make these mistakes so frequently you could argue "everyone says flat stick, mate!" but no, I think some people make the mistake of repeating sounds they've heard rather than words and expressions from a language they've neglected to learn. Suffice it to say "my give up."

OK, my pet peeves done, back to the thread ... I've driven around Pano, but not when it was set up for a race ... well worth the experience of the elevation changes and makes watching the race more meaningful.

As for Philip Is. at 150 mph, has anyone got any video of what happens when a street car goes off track at 150? Just curious ... I hope everyone is in a welded cage, harnesses and HANS ...
Old 04-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recall watching Micky Doohan at Philip Island...balancing on throttle at the limits of adhesion....

My gawd he could handle a bike at speed....flat stick if you will ;-)
Old 04-24-2010, 07:45 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
This has become the thread of guessing expressions?

Has Australia published a new dictionary of all these mistaken expressions and declared them correct? I hate it when words "are snuck" (not the past tense of sneak or meaning sneaked!) into the language. It's hard enough to figure out what the hell an Aussie is saying without them making up new words all the "blinking" time! : )

"flat stick" doesn't mean "flat out" or "flat chat" or even "flat tack" (which is another mistaken attempt, it's really flat-as-a-tack, nothing to do with the notion of full speed) ... flat stick means golf club.

"kph" is keystrokes per hour, not kilometres per hour ("km/h") even though, yes, everyone uses kph. And some idiot on TV says "it's got over 300 torques!" when reviewing a given car ... blithering idiot.

"blind sighted" ... what? ... I guess that's "blind sided" but that means unprepared ... maybe "blinkered?" ... I Googled "blind sighted" but it just found a few company names and other sites where people were confused about blind-sided. Maybe an attempt at "turn a blind eye" but that means to intentionally allow by disregard, not to be unresponsive.

I know people make these mistakes so frequently you could argue "everyone says flat stick, mate!" but no, I think some people make the mistake of repeating sounds they've heard rather than words and expressions from a language they've neglected to learn. Suffice it to say "my give up."

OK, my pet peeves done, back to the thread ... I've driven around Pano, but not when it was set up for a race ... well worth the experience of the elevation changes and makes watching the race more meaningful.

As for Philip Is. at 150 mph, has anyone got any video of what happens when a street car goes off track at 150? Just curious ... I hope everyone is in a welded cage, harnesses and HANS ...
lol...Yeh, we do tend to spice it up with some whack phrases... I promise to try and keep it clean moving forward...

As for Philip Island, I haven't seen a street car go off at 150mph down the main straight but last year a couple V8 supercars did this and it wasn't pretty. Neither crashed per say as the track is very open but one locked up, did a 180 spin and crossed the track on the other side, backwards. It crossed literally 2-3m in front of another car on that section of the track- potentially very not pretty.

I won't be doing anywhere near these speeds in the near future, especially with that high speed dog leg corner there.

Quick Reply: Just another GT3... But finally I have mine!!!