Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Just another GT3... But finally I have mine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Who says there's a feud goin on between Porsche and Nissan! These two seem perfectly happy under the same roof! Excuse the crooked photo, couldn't see the screen, had to hold camera against a wall to get them in the shot together and bonding...
Great garage!

There's another car I was begging to buy but the importer at the time -- bring Japanese market Godzillas into Australia from a sketchy operation in the back of a dealer lot -- was, well, not confidence-inspiring. Amazing car to drive in stock trim. Still on the "one of these days" list.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Hey CGT, No- Porsche Centre Melbourne relocated to a new sight in Collingwood in the late 90's... Bigger site. I remember the dealership you speak of. We'd stop there and window shop at 2am in our late teens after a big night out! Who woulda thought!
Me too. I studied software engineering at RMIT and we'd get half a skinful and drive my "three on the tree" HR wagon over to Hamiltons and gawk at the 964 and dream of the day. Never supposed I'd be closer than changing the brake pads for someone else. And I'm sure when I finally relocate back, I'll be lucky to get a 964 still ... !
Old 04-22-2010, 05:52 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
There is NO such thing as "just another GT3". It is the cream of the crop
Congrats and that is one helluva way to enter the Porsche world!!
Agreed OG! Its just that we have had the privilege of enjoying so many other threads of GT3 deliveries so I felt it necessary to pre warn... Its definitely special for me...
Old 04-22-2010, 06:11 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
So have you exploited the Great Ocean Road yet or been down to the track at Phillip Island?
My compimentary track day in a fortnight is down at the phillip island track which has got to be one of the best local track. The Great Ocean rd, I'm hoping to hit during the week (less traffic) in a couple of weeks time when I take some time off... Can't wait...

Originally Posted by my911rs
Congrats! Enjoy safely!
How are the local roads?
The local roads are okay generally. In inner suburbia, there are some intersections that have dip for water drainage that just need to be avoided and they can be bumpy with dips. What is suprising is how well the car deals with them! In standard setting it smooths them over nicely, in sports setting you feel everything, bumps, cracks and even the rough texture of the surface. They have done an amazing job to make this car comfortable enough to use every day.

Many driveway entrances tend to be too steep in some of the hilly suburbs so the lift is great for those (you scrape but you can physically get in).

Country roads are generally great! Road surfaces here are coarse and therefore tyre wear is supposedly higher but thats cool...

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Congrats! White = right ;-)

Show us some pictures of the GT3 on the open road down under!
Will do, heading down to the peninsula on the weekend, and will follow through with Phillip island and Great Ocean rd shots very soon
Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Great garage!

There's another car I was begging to buy but the importer at the time -- bring Japanese market Godzillas into Australia from a sketchy operation in the back of a dealer lot -- was, well, not confidence-inspiring. Amazing car to drive in stock trim. Still on the "one of these days" list.
Hey, thankfully this was a genuine factory delivered model. Nissan are importing more performance cars these days...Certainly no GT3, but had no trouble doing away with locally produced 5.7lt LS1 powered sportscars amongst others in its era. Great DD drive, its fast, its comfortable and its very reasonable in terms o frunning costs. I'm not a fan of grey market imports, both insurance and parts are a major problem with them here...
Old 04-23-2010, 03:58 AM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations and enjoy.
Are you heading to Phillip Island on May 13???
Old 04-23-2010, 05:51 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D-Uber Cars
Thanks for posting and enjoy. Never tire looking at white GT3's!
+1

Congratulations on your new Porsche
Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 AM
MGS996
Racer

Looks great in white
Old 04-23-2010, 09:51 AM
CC911
Instructor

911Rox congratulations on a great purchase - the white really suits the car. Enjoy the track - it really is great to use the vehicle in a safe environment without fear of being pinged for speeding. Be warned ..... its addictive!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Thanks again fellas... I'm rapped with the color choice also...

Originally Posted by dkrash GT3 RS
Congratulations and enjoy.
Are you heading to Phillip Island on May 13???
I think its on May 6... Awaiting confirmation... We are well into autumn here and I'm hoping it won't be wet on the day, I'm on MPSCs and I'm thinking it will be hard enough to make it to the track (120+km away) let alone run if its raining (from what I've heard about these tyres). May need to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on a set of MPS2s for the winter months.... Are you based down under also dkrash???
Old 04-23-2010, 10:08 AM
CC911
Instructor

I run PS2's and as I only have one set of rims run them all the time - fairly expensive but ideal all round performance. Weakest link is clearly still the nut behind the wheel.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

white is just fantasic. clinical intent.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CC911
Weakest link is clearly still the nut behind the wheel.
Agreed! Planning to take it easy and familiarise myself with the feel and handling characteristics associated with rear engined cars... No brave stuff just yet...
Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Given Victoria's draconian speeding laws...you must be itching to let the "3" run
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
CC911
Instructor

Its definitely different to anything i have driven in the past - I'm still slow but gaining speed all the time (had her since Sept 09) - when i get the line right with right speed in and power out of corners the feel is awesome - still gaining the confidence to fully understand / trust how the car will respond, particularly at high speed the feel is more twitchy than I'm used to. Time in the seat is all that counts, and practising is so much fun.

Quick Reply: Just another GT3... But finally I have mine!!!