Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Compare: Scuderia vs '10 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:58 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I took a nice drive today in an 08 scud. Having had extensive seat time in a standard F430 with F1 shifter I was interested in how the newer F1 is in the scud, among other things. It was impressive, shifting is lightning in race mode, nothing to complain about. I did not even try the 'auto' mode.

Everything else about the car was as expected, a real sense of hardcore purpose and outrageous use of carbon everywhere. Brakes were pretty touchy, perhaps that is due to them being CCB. Everything was so immaculate on the car that it almost feels like it would be intimidating to take it out of the garage. Something to think about as I do want to be able to enjoy it without angst.

Next step might be to find a local '10 GT3 to compare to as RS are still very rare ..
Old 04-15-2010, 02:11 AM
rpalomo
Instructor

FERRARI!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FORZA FERRARI!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
There are too many thing that Porsche could learn from Ferrari when making a lightweight car. The Scuderia produces twice the downforce of the 2010 GT3 RS without using the drag of a big wing.
isn't part of this because of the Porsche's rear-engine configuration? its impossible for them to put a proper rear diffuser there, so underbody airflow is a lot more difficult to manage than in the mid-engined Ferrari.

and as others have said, utterly EPIC write-up! you sir, know your stuff!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmolinari
Update: I took a nice drive today in an 08 scud. Having had extensive seat time in a standard F430 with F1 shifter I was interested in how the newer F1 is in the scud, among other things. It was impressive, shifting is lightning in race mode, nothing to complain about. I did not even try the 'auto' mode.

Everything else about the car was as expected, a real sense of hardcore purpose and outrageous use of carbon everywhere. Brakes were pretty touchy, perhaps that is due to them being CCB. Everything was so immaculate on the car that it almost feels like it would be intimidating to take it out of the garage. Something to think about as I do want to be able to enjoy it without angst.

Next step might be to find a local '10 GT3 to compare to as RS are still very rare ..
As I think I told you, Ferrari of Long Island has a NICE white 997.2 GT3 there... Awesome place to compare both back to back

BTW Rad glad to see you are still around, and providing us with a WEALTH of knowledge and information from your trial and error, that is PRICELESS...
Old 04-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus

Originally Posted by nj-gt
There are too many thing that Porsche could learn from Ferrari when making a lightweight car. The Scuderia produces twice the downforce of the 2010 GT3 RS without using the drag of a big wing.
isn't part of this because of the Porsche's rear-engine configuration? its impossible for them to put a proper rear diffuser there, so underbody airflow is a lot more difficult to manage than in the mid-engined Ferrari.
Agreed. There's little point in revisiting all the circumstances and constraints that explain the new RS and its various compromises or comparing a $138K car in the "middle" of a product line with a $300K car at the top of its product line.

Suffice it to say there's not one thing Ferrari could teach or Porsche would stand to learn. If there's any doubt, just look at the 918.

If Porsche has anything to learn, it is from the mistakes both Porsche and Ferrari have made in business management.

As for Ferrari's claims of aerodynamic down-force chicanery to get them through the chicanes, it's certainly appealing that they negated lift, but I question their wingless street car -- and look at the same 430 cars in competition trim, in various forms, eg. F430 GT2:

Old 04-15-2010, 02:02 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Originally Posted by iLLM3
As I think I told you, Ferrari of Long Island has a NICE white 997.2 GT3 there... Awesome place to compare both back to back

BTW Rad glad to see you are still around, and providing us with a WEALTH of knowledge and information from your trial and error, that is PRICELESS...
You had not mentioned that but seems like I should make contact and go check them out this weekend ..
Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Early 2008 are a little heavier, because they don't have the carbon package. The carbon package includes: front spoiler, engine panels, rear diffuser and headlight housings, this package reduced 34 lbs.
Rad what did your car weigh?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You had not mentioned that but seems like I should make contact and go check them out this weekend ..
Oops sorry, could have sworn I did... Anyway it's been there for a while, it's a beauty, and i'm sure they would love to move it fast, or even a Scud !

Let me know when you'll be over there or if you need a contact, pm me!

Martin

EDIT: It was Roslyns GT2 I mentioned hah, oops...
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM
gt2nxt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Agreed. There's little point in revisiting all the circumstances and constraints that explain the new RS and its various compromises or comparing a $138K car in the "middle" of a product line with a $300K car at the top of its product line.

Suffice it to say there's not one thing Ferrari could teach or Porsche would stand to learn. If there's any doubt, just look at the 918.

If Porsche has anything to learn, it is from the mistakes both Porsche and Ferrari have made in business management.

As for Ferrari's claims of aerodynamic down-force chicanery to get them through the chicanes, it's certainly appealing that they negated lift, but I question their wingless street car -- and look at the same 430 cars in competition trim, in various forms, eg. F430 GT2:

Carrera GT, from what I understand, the 430 GT2 car uses a rear wing because the race series rules dictate that the car run a "flat bottom" in place of the under car diffuser. In addition, there have been Challenge cars modified to run in the Grand Am series, where the rules mandate the same modification in the gt3 class, and all cars have to use a Crawford wing.
I'm not sure if anybody uses a front splitter, rear wing and under car diffuser, but I don't see why not, although I am far from an expert....
Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Rad,
If I follow your argument you are saying the GT3 is better setup from factory to be able to run hoosiers (or stickier tires) and the Scud's OEM setup sucks big time if you intend to run better tires.

But, as they come from the factory with streetable daily driver rubber is the handling in the Scud a total mess too?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Rad,
If I follow your argument you are saying the GT3 is better setup from factory to be able to run hoosiers (or stickier tires) and the Scud's OEM setup sucks big time if you intend to run better tires.

But, as they come from the factory with streetable daily driver rubber is the handling in the Scud a total mess too?
As they come from the factory (stock vs. stock), both cars handle very well, the Scuderia has much better handling, feels easier to drive, but the mechanical grip is superior in the 7GT3.

The stock alignment specs on the Scuderia promote massive understeer, Ferrari puts as much toe-in in the front axle as a Boxster/Cayman have in the rear axle, and even more toe-in in the rear axle. Easy to drive, but very slow.

Once you change the tires for better street tires and wider wheels, with a more track focused alignment, the Scuderia performs a lot better than the 7GT3, as long as the tires are not that sticky (MPSC, R888). Once you go with really sticky tires (R6, A6, slicks, V710), things get really bad again due to the lack of available suspension travel, at this point the car needs stiffer springs/sway bars.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:14 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
Rad what did your car weigh?
On electronic scales, 2986 lbs no fuel. My car has the optional radio and optional Alcantara upholstery (+15 lbs combined). The windshield washer reservoir contains another 15 lbs of liquid, so weight is around 2956 lbs for a base 2009 with all fluids but fuel and windshield washer.

There were some other lightweight options, Carbon rocker panels, carbon engine lid, manual windows, 5-spoke forged wheels, so you could configure a Scuderia at 2,875 lbs (no fuel). Manual windows were offered in other markets, not in U.S.

As a reference, the base US 07 GT3 RS weighs 3,140 lbs with no fuel, and the 2010 GT3 RS (pending confirmation)) seems to be at 3,115 lbs with no fuel.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Ordered a 458 Italia instead of all of the above .. the opportunity came and I figured for my purposes this may be the best play. If anyone is interested in my taking delivery of my '11 GT3RS it should be here in late may/early june. Please PM. Specs are:

Grey Black
Red Decals
Full leather
PCCB
PCM
LiON Battery
Floor mats
Sound Plus
Bluetooth/Universal Audio (standard)
CLA Thicker steering wheel
Old 04-19-2010, 11:57 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Ordered a 458 Italia instead of all of the above .. the opportunity came and I figured for my purposes this may be the best play. If anyone is interested in my taking delivery of my '11 GT3RS it should be here in late may/early june:
I assume you just placed your deposit on the 458... Given the worldwide wait it may well be another year before you take delivery... why not enjoy the RS in the meantime? (Then again, I understand your lead times can vary if you are in the good graces of your dealer )

Quick Reply: Compare: Scuderia vs '10 RS