997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

'10 RS Track Report

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010 | 04:46 AM
gt2nxt
Intermediate

nice video, thanks for sharing. it isn't always about taking your street cars to the edge of destruction just for the sake of gaining 5 or 10 seconds. the lesson here is that you have bought a fantastic, cutting-edge street machine that could almost pass for a race car, and you are out there having fun with it without risk of damage to yourself or the car. that, my friends, is a gentleman racer. have fun with it! not all of us can be professional race car drivers, so the dream lives on for those who can afford to pretend (not meant as any disrespect, what so ever...i am not a pro race driver either! haha)
keep the vids coming for those of us who love to see the latest being flogged on the track! ;-)
Old 03-29-2010 | 12:30 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Teasers- more later. Got to catch up some work stuff. Finished off the weekend with a 2:10 so I am thrilled with that.

What an amazing car. Other than corner balance and checking alignment for stock specs now that suspension is settled, I am not changing a thing.

Is that a point-by from Mr. Boxster, or something else??? haha
Attached Images      
Old 03-29-2010 | 12:31 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt2nxt
nice video, thanks for sharing. it isn't always about taking your street cars to the edge of destruction just for the sake of gaining 5 or 10 seconds. the lesson here is that you have bought a fantastic, cutting-edge street machine that could almost pass for a race car, and you are out there having fun with it without risk of damage to yourself or the car. that, my friends, is a gentleman racer. have fun with it! not all of us can be professional race car drivers, so the dream lives on for those who can afford to pretend (not meant as any disrespect, what so ever...i am not a pro race driver either! haha)
keep the vids coming for those of us who love to see the latest being flogged on the track! ;-)
Well said, I fully agree.
Old 03-29-2010 | 12:46 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savyboy
Teasers- more later. Is that a point-by from Mrs. Boxster, or something else??? haha
Awesome pictures, glad your enjoying your new toy!

I'm one of the few that love the decals, they look especially great in your pictures. They add character, which the RS has always had.
Old 03-29-2010 | 03:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Bad lines but oh well new car as expected. Love the engine noise though : ). Congrats. Mike
The lines were fine in both videos. And the driving style showed correct technique and a sensible balance of risk and respect for a lot of car.
Old 03-29-2010 | 03:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I would mention as well the friendliness and professionalism of the Golden Gate PCA that is hosting this three-day event. Very fine folks and my coach today was fantastic (Thanks again Fred!). All volunteers and my hat is off to them for their effort.
Hear! hear! Excellent work by GGR for a three day event with a lot of people to keep on the track, no mishaps and a very decent bunch of drivers on the track -- good mirrors and clean point-by's. It's a long trek up to Thunderhill, but three days there is ample reward for dodging speed traps along I5 ... I don't regret not contributing to the local deficit relief effort.

Last edited by Carrera GT; 03-30-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2010 | 03:42 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The lines were fine in both videos. And the driving style showed correct technique and a sensible balance of risk and respect for a lot of car.
Coming from you , that is high praise indeed! Glad we got to meet and share the paddock and some good conversation
Old 03-29-2010 | 04:23 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Carrera GT- only pointing out that 6 months from now savyboy won't be using those lines : ). I agree those are safelines. By the way with respect to groups- what are the classification for the different grps ie blue grp=intermediate? Also are pointbys mandatory? I'm a pca member but man it always conflicts with my schedule for the last 3 years. Hope to attend one someday. Mike ps- is the 6gt3 in pic local to the bay area? Thanks
Old 03-29-2010 | 05:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Carrera GT- only pointing out that 6 months from now savyboy won't be using those lines : ). I agree those are safelines. By the way with respect to groups- what are the classification for the different grps ie blue grp=intermediate? Also are pointbys mandatory? I'm a pca member but man it always conflicts with my schedule for the last 3 years. Hope to attend one someday. Mike ps- is the 6gt3 in pic local to the bay area? Thanks
GGR has four groups and supports two sprint races and an enduro on the third day as well as copious paddock races where the best times are laid down ...

yellow: new drivers, mostly under instruction. Lap times for TH well over 2:20

blue: competent drivers, some instruction. Times around 2:20

red: experienced hacks throwing good money into a burning tub of gasoline ... paddock times under 2:00, transponder times from 2:00 to 2:20 ...

test-tune: race prepped cars in full battle regalia.

The colored groups are all mandatory point-by. yellow and blue on the straights and never under brakes. red anywhere on the open track. Some folks seemed to think a point-by to the outside would be okay, even on the steep adverse camber of the exit to the cyclone ... but I'm just not that trusting. : )

I think PCA needs to institute a strict "next apex" rule: have all drivers (being overtaken) stay on the line and let the overtaking driver make a "simple" overtaking/passing maneuver strictly to the inside and take the inside line to the apex -- compelling the car being overtaken to stay on the line and slow to make room through the apex. The overtaking driver must complete the pass in time to avoid any opportunity for the overtaken driver to "shut the door" (turn in to the apex.) Too many times I was getting a point-by only to hear the other car's exhaust report wide open throttle and the other driver was clearly expecting me to "win" a drag race to the next turn ... somehow the simple math escapes the driver: catching a car at even ten seconds per lap means the faster driver is not necessarily going to be more than a few tenths of a second quicker over any given straightaway of a two minute lap. With 15 turns at an average track, even a 20 second delta creates barely one second gains between turns and that would be two drivers traveling a very different speeds!

I'm sure the test-tune w2w drivers are happy going outside and put a wheel in the marbles or trusting the other driver, but I saw far too many "bobbles" over the course of those three days to even consider going around the outside.

Of course, none of this is new, but it's disappointing every year, even in a very good bunch of drivers in red this weekend, to find there's always a couple of drivers making poor decisions. So it goes.

[2010 New Year's resolution: Don't forget to post at least one rant to Rennlist before Easter.]
Old 03-29-2010 | 05:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Coming from you , that is high praise indeed! Glad we got to meet and share the paddock and some good conversation
I just realized from your signature you have the front axle lift ... it would be interesting to see a video of that thing raise and lower next to a "normal" car's lip.

Anyway, yes, that was a good weekend. And I think we solved many of the world's troubles in the paddock. : )
Old 03-29-2010 | 05:40 PM
savyboy
Drifting

For those that care. End of weekend best time saved for time trial...lol. Getting into 5th and carrying it through some corners definitely will be key to better times. Lots to work on....fun fun fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vco97dYOo4
Old 03-29-2010 | 05:47 PM
savyboy
Drifting

I just realized from your signature you have the front axle lift ... it would be interesting to see a video of that thing raise and lower next to a "normal" car's lip.
Didn't think of that- it would have been a great idea to do that when we had chance.

Used it going in and out of the Holiday Inn lot. It bumps up in about 2 secs. Down in same. The "stuff" is located low and center inside the tunnel. I easily enter/exit without scraping where my S PASM C4S scrapes.

I have no regrets, at all, for getting it and am glad I did.

PS and side note: Driivng home at 9 at night on the mountain roads, I am SO glad I opted for the dynamic cornering lights. If you drive the car to and from events, it is a safety option worth its weight in gold. Can't enjoy driving the car if you kill yourself driving home...
Old 03-29-2010 | 06:59 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedoflight
no it just means i couldn't catch up with 'em. blue group is okay except limited passing. it was hard to get a clean lap for most of the day but people were courteous at giving point-bys and i was giving point-bys myself to C4Ss and some 993s. new rear tires felt greasy as i expected. my lap times got worse and didn't break my personal record. maybe it's 'cos i only had a couple hours sleep the nite before?
WEVO engine mount and LSD rebuild are in order for your GT3. You should be able to get below 2:01 with these mods Oh yeah, you should sleep less - will make you faster lol

savyboy, your third video with lap time of 2:10 look really good with much better line compare with your first video. 6 seconds of improvement from day 1 is impressive. You will be sub 2:10 next time out.

I see a middle finger on this picture LOL

Old 03-29-2010 | 09:09 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

For those that care. End of weekend best time saved for time trial...lol. Getting into 5th and carrying it through some corners definitely will be key to better times. Lots to work on....fun fun fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vco97dYOo4
I enjoyed this video !

Congrats on your blue beauty and enjoy !
Old 03-29-2010 | 10:45 PM
savyboy
Drifting

as well as copious paddock races where the best times are laid down ...

red: experienced hacks throwing good money into a burning tub of gasoline ... paddock times under 2:00, transponder times from 2:00 to 2:20 ...

test-tune: race prepped cars in full battle regalia.

Too many times I was getting a point-by only to hear the other car's exhaust report wide open throttle and the other driver was clearly expecting me to "win" a drag race to the next turn ...

[2010 New Year's resolution: Don't forget to post at least one rant to Rennlist before Easter.]
A.- while obviously possessed of a strong mind, I didn't know this kind of humor was in residence as well. You are a funny MF! That is one of the most wry posts I have read in a long time.

Those snippets are instant classics...lol

Originally Posted by mikymu
savyboy, your third video with lap time of 2:10 look really good with much better line compare with your first video. 6 seconds of improvement from day 1 is impressive. You will be sub 2:10 next time out.

I see a middle finger on this picture LOL

Yes! I know in my mind so many changes to make to my line and vehicle management! Just need to practice! So addictive! haha

I substituted a pic Chris Sanner mocked up. I know he is banned from RL but he is loving the pics and video and he is a real enthusiast and sent me about 5 emails today after seeing this stuff. With his strong personality, he is polarizing to many in his approach, but he loves cars and is a good guy. I have to say again he and Chad over at Olmsted have been great to work with.

In all seriousness, and with due respect to Mr. Boxster, it was an index, not a middle finger (even thought it looked like a middle). And the Boxsters running there were quite fast. The whole Blue group was fast I think. Simply a case of better hardware that I was able to accomplish a pass. Boxster to Boxster he would have probably kicked my ***.

Quick Reply: '10 RS Track Report