Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3

Seeking assistance in deciding what might be the best 'special occasion' p-car for use on weekends. We have a place in new england and the car would be garaged there, so it would not be driven daily.

It seems like for 15-20k more than a 2010 GT3 I could find a low mileage GT2, but having driven neither I would appreciate comments from existing or former owners. My last p-car was a 996 GT3 and I loved the revvy and purpose-built spirit of that vehicle.

My use would be for spirited country-road driving with an occasional track day (Lime Rock is quite close by). I love the idea of the torque monster GT2 although I don't know how that car really behaves off the straights and whether I might get more enjoyment out of the high rev concept even though the GT3 might ultimately have less 'oomf'.

appreciate comments!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Many of the improvements on the 997.2 GT3 and RS came from the GT2 which handles better than the 997GT3 RS. It goes without saying that the power of the GT2 is intoxicating.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Bob, however, with the sharwerks bypass, the sound of the GT3 wins hands down.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

I haven't driven the GT2, but my mkII GT3 is blindingly fast, I can't imagine what I would do with more power and torque on the street. I'm sure it would b fun, but you won't be disappointed in the GT3.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive owned both. sold my gt2 after 6 weeks of owning it. found it anything but intoxicating. after pushing the go button a host of times, that blurrying speed is frankly "been there done that" but the carving nature of the gt3 never gets old.
and frankly the gt3 , in my opinion, has far better looks, handles far better, and most importantly, Revs much higher. the sound of the gt3 at 8000rpms , for me, way outpaced the low rev engine of the gt2.
gt2 awsome machine, but its not a track monster like a gt3. its a bouvelard warp speed cruiser.

Last edited by ZSA Motorsport; 03-17-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

go with GT3

you dont need a turbo monster for a new england weekend getaway....

the gt3 is what you want.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by gmolinari
Seeking assistance in deciding what might be the best 'special occasion' p-car for use on weekends. We have a place in new england and the car would be garaged there, so it would not be driven daily.

It seems like for 15-20k more than a 2010 GT3 I could find a low mileage GT2, but having driven neither I would appreciate comments from existing or former owners. My last p-car was a 996 GT3 and I loved the revvy and purpose-built spirit of that vehicle.

My use would be for spirited country-road driving with an occasional track day (Lime Rock is quite close by). I love the idea of the torque monster GT2 although I don't know how that car really behaves off the straights and whether I might get more enjoyment out of the high rev concept even though the GT3 might ultimately have less 'oomf'.

appreciate comments!
First, you must be looking at higher option GT3s for it to be that little of a difference. All the 997 GT2s I see are $160K+ used. By comparison, I paid less than $120K for my 997.2 GT3. Both are great cars. The GT2 is certainly faster, but will never have the smoothness of a normally aspirated car. Suspension wise, the GT2 was a huge step up from the 997.1 GT3 for compliance. The 997.2 GT3 has a suspension that is all around better. The new GT3 actually has a stiffer suspension than the GT2, yet the ride is quite comfortable on the street. It also has the best aerodynamics with more downforce than any 911 that proceeded it. Still, the GT2 is a rare gem and if you are looking for more power then it is hard to beat. I would say to just drive both and by the one that feels best from behind the wheel.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 AM
jshudson
Advanced

I currently have them both, '08 GT2 and '08 GT3.
As has been said before, the GT2 setup is much better sorted than the 7.1 GT3 and is the basis for much of the .2 GT3 suspension improvements. The GT2 is also "blindingly fast" as has been said and actually the power delivery is relatively linear and smooth for a turbo car. Its only downside to me is the stock exhaust system is relatively quiet, maybe not a bad thing if you do "spirited country-road driving" with it in New England. If you want more sound, after market exhausts are always available.
The major upside of the GT3 is the NA engine revs beautifully, sings a song at 8,000+ rpm that is hard to beat. While perfectly capable of tooling around town, the GT3 gearing and torque make it better suited for track use IMO.

BTW, one of these two needs to go, as I've got a new RS coming so if interested in a '08 of either type, PM me.
Jim
Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd take the GT2 in a heartbeat. You get accustomed to GT3 power quickly.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:39 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, if you are a GT2 driver, one knows it... It's a special car, takes a special driver, as well as a GT3. BUT, usually GT2 drivers seek them out specifically and know they want it and are up for the challenge the car brings to the driver, especially since most were drivers from other higher hp and torque derived cars.. Again this isn't always the case, but for spirited driving around back roads? GT3
Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Is collectible status / resale value a consideration? Granted GT cars are already special to begin with, a GT2 will likely hold a special premium among collectors as the top-of-line production car since the end-of-run for the CGT.

Off the top of my head I thought PCNA imported nearly 1,000 997.1 GT3 (non RS) during the model's run. GT2s' are probably a fraction of that number... To each his own, but some people may consider this a meaningful differentiator.

Last edited by CRex; 03-17-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:42 AM
gmolinari
Instructor

Default Great comments - some followup

Thanks all for the great comments.

10 GT3: I have seen low mileage GT2 for 150k, so perhaps I was a bit aggressive with my price delta, but in general I think the comment still stands, the price difference is not that great between a well optioned new GT3 and the GT2, and a big part of the depreciation has been absorbed in the GT2. Certainly I'm not buying this car as an investment, but it always is nice to know up front where you are in the cost curve as inevitably there will be new toys in the future.

With regards to test driving, that looks like it might be hard to do, although it seems crazy to make a decision like this without it. Just don't know how I might be able to get behind the wheel of either of these cars given their rarity. I don't think there are any GT2 that I like in my area (NYC vicinity) at dealers or GT3 that aren't sold .. any pointers on how to go about this kind of thing?

My prior car was a 996GT3, so I am familiar with that type of experience. What I have never driven is either GT2 or 996/997 Turbo, so am missing the comparable high torque/turbo porsche view of the world .. so as iLLM3 puts it, I might be a 'GT2 Driver' but don't yet know it.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Is collectible status / resale value a consideration? Granted GT cars are already special to begin with, a GT2 will likely hold a special premium among collectors as the top-of-line production car since the end-of-run for the CGT.

Off the top of my head I thought PCNA imported over 5,000 997.1 GT3 (non RS) during the model's run. GT2s' are probably 1/5 to 1/4 of that number... To each his own, but some people may consider this a meaningful differentiator.
There certainly weren't 5000 .1 gt3s imported to the US. As far as .2s go, there are less than 500 2010s. Historically speaking gt2s have not fared well with their residuals relative to gt3s. Again, this only matters if resale is a concern.

Picking one is a tough call. I think we all get accustomed to the power of any of these cars quickly so the same will happen with the gt2 no matter how strong it is. There are some people who sold their modded (suspension/ECU) .1 turbos in favor of .2 gt3s and clould not be happier.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmolinari
With regards to test driving, that looks like it might be hard to do, although it seems crazy to make a decision like this without it. Just don't know how I might be able to get behind the wheel of either of these cars given their rarity. I don't think there are any GT2 that I like in my area (NYC vicinity) at dealers or GT3 that aren't sold .. any pointers on how to go about this kind of thing?
There's a preowned 2010 GT3 at Porsche Westwood in Westwood, MA. They might let you take it for a spin.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
There certainly weren't 5000 .1 gt3s imported to the US. As far as .2s go, there are less than 500 2010s. Historically speaking gt2s have not fared well with their residuals relative to gt3s. Again, this only matters if resale is a concern.
Thanks for the correction--checked the GT3RS registry again apparently the quoted number's closer to 900 997.1 GT3s (non RS). I got the 5k number confused with the turbos.

Numbers aside, some people just get a huge kick out of boosted engines. As another poster suggested, OP you should test drive a TT and see how you like the torque (and the accompanying lag). FWIW, if you're in NYC Manhattan Motorcars has a black 07 TT coupe last time I checked.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3