Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgomez
hmmm... I personally think the GT2 is MORE fun, but b/c it is stupid fast you are running more risks (mostly of loosing your license, or ending in a ditch...). The Turbo power makes a "SuperCar" more usable in the street. The monster torque defeats the need to downshift and go into hyperdrive...
At the track you are always running highrevs so the performance differential is lower...

IMHO, at $130K it is a bargain and worth the mistake of not enjoying it (and flipping it back for a GT3)
I guess I was basing it off of terrible NY traffic/roads, etc... WHenever i'm caught up in traffic, low speeds, or whatever the GT2 is just quiet/lifeless almost, in those lower gears it's got the torque and power but no SCREAM to it.. The GT2 needs to really be going to get that driver fully in tune and involved... Hard to explain, but i've had them all, just my experience!

I do agree however the GT2 is more FUN if used in the way they should be, all out/on edge thrill... When I go around the back roads, or on the track like VIR reaching for a 2 flat, there is NOTHING like it, being in that realm of "fast"... Especially knowing you are the only limiting factor of the car, it CAN go faster at all points
Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer - the GT2 close by at Roslyn Porsche was sold and delivered today!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:38 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

When I bought my .2 GT3 it was the same question

Actually I was going in to buy the 400 mi gorgeous GT2 on the floor at mid 150's (last Nov.). Drove it and it is fast... no it's FAST. Don't like loud exhausts anyway. Only thing not to like (for me) was the non-adjust carbon seats. Lets be honest guys, you're not buying this car to track. There are far better toys for less if that's your thing. This car is about being the toughest kid in the schoolground and using it. The unavoidable downside is that as someone else noted, few can use it on the track, so what does this mean on the street?

Was literally making my way to the business office when I caught a glimpse of Aqua Blue in the holding area. Had to look. It was a jawdropping .2 GT3 with CCB's and matching belts/stitching. Oh and just standard sport seats.

Drove both vehicles back to back 3 times, one pair quite long that afternoon-evening. No protests, they know me and knew I brought the checkbook.

GT2 is better bragging rights. Acceleration is stunning. But as the Millenium Falcon shifting to Hyper, there is a very pregnant hesitation, then all hell breaks loose. Cheeks distorting (both sets). Intoxicating to be sure, but as spg noted, for some of us, after a few times I wonder WTF I'm actually going to do with that on the street. Race every Ricer/Vette/'Stang? Only F-cars? What???

The 3 is a sublime joy. There are no flaws. Power delivery is as smooth as a Honeywell rheostat and just as controllable. Since I didn't take both to my track I can't tell you which one I liked better under those very special circumstances, but both cars are first and foremost Street Cars.

In the end, it wasn't the $25K price Delta, IMHO for the street the 3 is the much better suited car. The 2 is fabulous, and if reaching dangerous speeds literally faster than you can react and power sliding turns on public roads is your thing it just may be the ticket.

One more thing, and again I agree with spg993tt, the more I looked at the tail feathers, the more I preferred the 3.

But if you want an incredibly agile, balanced sports car. I can say that I've never had a vehicle quite this good. A Real Sports Car for the excellent driver. If your idea of taking a turn fast is staying close to the inside then a Vette is fine of course...
Old 03-19-2010, 08:49 AM
gmolinari
Instructor

Fantastic summary allegretto. Need to do some searching for local GT3 now .. but unlike yours I think I need to have the carbon seats! In my 996GT3 I had switched out the standard seats with the euro spec recaro seats and they were fantastic.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 AM
gmolinari
Instructor

One more question - what do you guys do with the kid(s)? I've got a 3.5yr old, he LOVES cars. I would like to be able to take him for a ride .. so do you throw the child seat in the passenger seat and strap in? That is the only factor that had me debating a 997TT as an option. Being able to put the wife and kid in as well for the more leisurely sessions ..

or is this just a matter of it being a 'mans machine', thus not appropriate?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i take my 4 yr old all time in my gt3 strapped in the front seat. use a recaro child seat and he is better strapped in than me. airbag sensor deactivates the bag on that side. i scoot his seat all the way back and crank it up higher so he can see everything. been doing that since i got the car 2 years ago up until i took him with me when i handed it over to the new owner yesterday :-(
good luck with the decision!
I sat in a then brand new White GT2 at Pacific Porsche and was in love with it. I think had I not had an opportunity to get a .2 RS, i would have definitely been looking for a 997.1 GT2 given its substantial depreciation. Maybe if you wait for word on the 997.2 GT2 RS to be officially announced that may further soften dealers on their asking price.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:36 AM
gmolinari
Instructor

cool - do you know if the recaro child seat fits the new sport bucket seats in the GT2 or .2 GT3?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

need i say more?

she's 3.5 then.

Last edited by mooty; 05-26-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 AM
gmolinari
Instructor

Nothing more needed. A picture is worth 1000 words in this case
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a great pic, Mooty!!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Very cool pic, whatta daddy!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
need i say more?

she's 3.5 then.
sadly in my state (Illinois) that is not legal, and the Troopers will stop you.

My dealer has a guy who will install the factory belts in the back and I may do that.

But I also bought a 335i Convert for taking my daughters around. They dig the droptop more than the P-car anyway.

As I see it, the GT3 is Daddy's Car, for having Daddy Fun... no passengers required, no music blasting (except from the engine compartment), no distractions, just pure driving pleasure!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Why is that illegal? Even w/ the child seat??
Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cfjan
Why is that illegal? Even w/ the child seat??
Children under 10 or 12 I believe are simply NOT allowed to ride in the front seat in the Land of Lincoln. Seat belt deactivation or not.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
ive owned both. sold my gt2 after 6 weeks of owning it. found it anything but intoxicating. after pushing the go button a host of times, that blurrying speed is frankly "been there done that" but the carving nature of the gt3 never gets old.
and frankly the gt3 , in my opinion, has far better looks, handles far better, and most importantly, Revs much higher. the sound of the gt3 at 8000rpms , for me, way outpaced the low rev engine of the gt2.
gt2 awsome machine, but its not a track monster like a gt3. its a bouvelard warp speed cruiser.
After seat time in both, this is my sentiment exactly.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3