Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 AM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing is to take the advice of the guy who currently owns both cars or the person who has neither but driven both extensibly.people are biased

Both cars are very capable and you will not be dissapointed owning either of them.they each have something different to offer.i havent driven a gt2(my service adviser tells me its better than gt3) but everytime im not driving my gt3 i cannot resist the temptation to go and drive it again.The only reason for that is the intoxicating noise and the way it revs above 5000k. The handling is not as tight as i expected though,its good but wants understeers too much and you definitely feel the engine at the back end pushing the car as it understeers.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 AM
gmolinari
Instructor

Looks like the play is going to be a GT3RS for me .. having had a 996 GT3 I feel I know what I'm getting into, and I loved the revvy nature of that engine. It also seems more appropriate for the narrow twisty country roads that I will be driving on most of the time. Although the sad part is that the price of the RS will work out to be the same as what I could get a < 1000mi GT2 for .. crazy
Old 03-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by gmolinari
Looks like the play is going to be a GT3RS for me .. having had a 996 GT3 I feel I know what I'm getting into, and I loved the revvy nature of that engine. It also seems more appropriate for the narrow twisty country roads that I will be driving on most of the time. Although the sad part is that the price of the RS will work out to be the same as what I could get a < 1000mi GT2 for .. crazy
You don't seem sensitive to price but you seem to like value. You can pick up a low mile 07 GT3 for $80k or an RS for $100k. Several threads here discuss the price delta in relation to the improvements. The consensus seems to be that while it's better, it's not THAT better.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:24 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

I am not price sensitive but I do like to feel like I am getting value for every incremental $ spent. I have an opportunity to buy a '10 RS but dealer wants 8k over (maybe less) and the car has PCCB, and I'm a bit turned off by both those things. I think my fallback option would likely be to get a lightly used '10 GT3 which looks like can be had for around 115k, I do prefer the exterior styling and interior of the '10 compared to the '07 especially because of the bucket seats.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3