997 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmolinari
Thanks all for the great comments.

10 GT3: I have seen low mileage GT2 for 150k, so perhaps I was a bit aggressive with my price delta, but in general I think the comment still stands, the price difference is not that great between a well optioned new GT3 and the GT2, and a big part of the depreciation has been absorbed in the GT2. Certainly I'm not buying this car as an investment, but it always is nice to know up front where you are in the cost curve as inevitably there will be new toys in the future.

With regards to test driving, that looks like it might be hard to do, although it seems crazy to make a decision like this without it. Just don't know how I might be able to get behind the wheel of either of these cars given their rarity. I don't think there are any GT2 that I like in my area (NYC vicinity) at dealers or GT3 that aren't sold .. any pointers on how to go about this kind of thing?

My prior car was a 996GT3, so I am familiar with that type of experience. What I have never driven is either GT2 or 996/997 Turbo, so am missing the comparable high torque/turbo porsche view of the world .. so as iLLM3 puts it, I might be a 'GT2 Driver' but don't yet know it.
I am pretty pretty sure Roslyn Porsche STILL has their black GT2 from when they first got it... They may make you a SICK deal, it's been there a long time, and well you can possibly drive it too? Not sure, best of luck though.. If you wind up making it over there, I can meet up, and if i'm free/my car is out of the shop, you can take my GT2 (996) albeit modded by RUF and on Motons lol, for a spin...
Old 03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
80shilling
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't use the word "spin" when talking about our "Widow Makers".. You'll frighten people...
Old 03-17-2010, 02:28 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

The GT2 is VERY fast. So much, that its acceleration is still hilarious after 2 years of being my daily driver. I ocasionally drive a GT3 (NurburgRing mostly) and it feels "slow".
Comments on the handling of the GT3 being "better" is just BS, and mostly induced by perception of driving at 7/10ths at the engine sound in the GT3 being better. Fact is the GT2s suspension is an evolution of the GT3s 997.1 suspension and only the new 997.2 RS (Widebody and wider front track) can be claimed to be better.

However, for the track, the GT3 is more "racecar" given its high revving engine, and although the linearity power output in the GT2 has improved A LOT compared to prior generation Turbos, a high revving N/A engine like the GT3 is far more controllable with your right foot, and sounds better. So you will be able to push harder in the GT3 at the track and not get surprised/scared.

Therefore, I think you are better off with the GT3. In my case, I have a racecar, rent a GT3 and a Cup Car at the Ring every year and most likely will make the jump to race a Cup Car, so I wanted my street Porsche to be something really special and provide me with a good challenge when I drive it in the Snow or the occasional track day. That's why I chose the GT2.

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...o-be-used.html
Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

$160k and $150k 997 GT2 are not moving. The moving price is in the $130k~.

The delta between new 2010 GT3 and used 2008 GT2 is pretty close in the current market.

I would take the 997 GT2. The 09 came with the newer ipod/Navi/Bluetooth system.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

iLLM3: It does look like Roslyn Porsche has their black GT2 avail, asking 159k. I may take a ride out there this weekend to check it out if the weather cooperates. White would be my color of choice but you never know, I could be convinced if I see the black in person.

cgomez: thanks for your comments. To be clear, 85% of the use of this car will be for backroad country driving in new england. A few track days a year, but these will likely be the exception. So do you still think the GT3 makes the most sense as the 'special street car'?
Old 03-17-2010, 03:13 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

NJ-GT, thanks for that insight. I suspected as much. So at 130 it starts to really seem like a much better value to buy a GT2 at this point vs a new GT3. There seem to be several out there that have under 1000mi available ..
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

iLLM3: It does look like Roslyn Porsche has their black GT2 avail, asking 159k. I may take a ride out there this weekend to check it out if the weather cooperates. White would be my color of choice but you never know, I could be convinced if I see the black in person.

cgomez: thanks for your comments. To be clear, 85% of the use of this car will be for backroad country driving in new england. A few track days a year, but these will likely be the exception. So do you still think the GT3 makes the most sense as the 'special street car'?
IMO, the aero details of the GT2 plus the unique bodywork features are very cool and come in black rubber, so the whole car shows better in contrasting (with black) colors. White is best, but obviously Im biased....

hmmmm.... what type of driving do you do on those back roads? Don't want to sound irresponsible (I mostly keep the 11/10ths stuff for the track) but the GT2 is a lot of fun at the point you can loose easily your license (Its TOO fast, for the very low speed limits of the US). In other words you can do a 2nd hairpin powerslide at 35-50mph in a GT3; you need more speed (45-65mph) in a GT2 (or 1st gear up to 40mph) to do the same as the gearing is a LOT longer (so there's a lot more risk and the throttle is more difficult to control)
Also, the sound (perception of speed and sensation) in the cabin is better in the GT3, plus the gears being closer and high redline amplifies the feeling (In the GT2 you just cant believe what the speedo is showing and how fast it goes up). However, outside full throttle, the GT2 sounds as if it could eat 2 or 3 GT3s for breakfast, but you cant tell from inside. So for 7/10ths driving the GT3 is a better thrill....
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the great comments.
With regards to test driving, that looks like it might be hard to do, although it seems crazy to make a decision like this without it. Just don't know how I might be able to get behind the wheel of either of these cars given their rarity. I don't think there are any GT2 that I like in my area (NYC vicinity) at dealers or GT3 that aren't sold .. any pointers on how to go about this kind of thing?

My prior car was a 996GT3, so I am familiar with that type of experience. What I have never driven is either GT2 or 996/997 Turbo, so am missing the comparable high torque/turbo porsche view of the world .. so as iLLM3 puts it, I might be a 'GT2 Driver' but don't yet know it.
First, I had a small refundable depost down and speced the order on the car I bought. When the car came in and I was still arranging my financing, the dealer literally threw me the key to the car with a full tank of gas and told me to just drive and enjoy. I had no signed contract or obligation. The car was just of the truck with 6 miles on it. I could have walked away if I wanted, but pulled the trigger 4 days later. They new I was a serious buyer and knew the drive would sell the car.

Bottom line, if you are a serious buyer and they are a serious seller they will let you drive the car. I have never been refused a test drive in a Porsche. Last year, I drove a brand new Carrera S 6-sp, Carrera S PDK, 997 Turbo and a Panamera just because I had some spare time.

From my experience, the only cars I have any issue driving new are Corvettes. Dealers around here say a Corvette buyer wants a car with as low miles as possible, so they never let you test drive one new. They will let you test drive a used one though. In fact, I didn't have a single issue getting to test drive a used ZR1. Unfortunately, in the case of Corvettes; every time I test drive one it has issues and scares me away from them.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 80shilling
Don't use the word "spin" when talking about our "Widow Makers".. You'll frighten people...
Hahah, they are just little ol' puppy dogs

Originally Posted by cgomez
IMO, the aero details of the GT2 plus the unique bodywork features are very cool and come in black rubber, so the whole car shows better in contrasting (with black) colors. White is best, but obviously Im biased....

hmmmm.... what type of driving do you do on those back roads? Don't want to sound irresponsible (I mostly keep the 11/10ths stuff for the track) but the GT2 is a lot of fun at the point you can loose easily your license (Its TOO fast, for the very low speed limits of the US). In other words you can do a 2nd hairpin powerslide at 35-50mph in a GT3; you need more speed (45-65mph) in a GT2 (or 1st gear up to 40mph) to do the same as the gearing is a LOT longer (so there's a lot more risk and the throttle is more difficult to control)
Also, the sound (perception of speed and sensation) in the cabin is better in the GT3, plus the gears being closer and high redline amplifies the feeling (In the GT2 you just cant believe what the speedo is showing and how fast it goes up). However, outside full throttle, the GT2 sounds as if it could eat 2 or 3 GT3s for breakfast, but you cant tell from inside. So for 7/10ths driving the GT3 is a better thrill....
IMO I agree with Gomez... They aren't really fun on the street, just way too fast, and the capabilities are just WAY TOO HIGH to exploit on the track, let alone the street... GT3 will be more fun, again, on the street..

BTW Roslyn has sat on that car for over a year, they should just be giving it away at this point lol
Old 03-18-2010, 03:54 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Thanks guys - sensation of speed is an important factor for me even more than absolute speed itself. I rather a car that feels fast when it is going slower as that is both safer and more entertaining on street roads.

It seems like I should be looking for GT3 at this point, although the idea of getting a great deal on a GT2 still has me intrigued simply because of the value play. I might call up Roslyn and see if they will let me check out their car on sat.

Crazy question and I haven't called around much: anyone know of any '10 GT3RS out there with no owner yet?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I wouldn't go solely off forum's opinion when a 130k purchase is on the line. I'd try to test drive both before making a decision.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:32 PM
80shilling
Intermediate

Thanks guys - sensation of speed is an important factor for me even more than absolute speed itself. I rather a car that feels fast when it is going slower as that is both safer and more entertaining on street roads.

It seems like I should be looking for GT3 at this point, although the idea of getting a great deal on a GT2 still has me intrigued simply because of the value play. I might call up Roslyn and see if they will let me check out their car on sat.

Crazy question and I haven't called around much: anyone know of any '10 GT3RS out there with no owner yet?
The GT2 is one of those Cars that is going a WHOLE LOT faster than you think it is.. If you truly use all of it's performance through the gears, it gets up to ridiculously high speeds, frighteningly fast... Not so much in the lower gears, but by the time you are in third and on full boost, it's moving at a HELL of a rate compared to most other Cars.... I went out with a friend who has a 996TT and did a quick blast through the gears on a deserted stretch of Freeway.. thought I was going maybe 120 - 130 ish.. looked down and was going 165 ish and the Car wasn't even trying... !!!
Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Agreed Serge, will try to get some test drives done over the next couple weeks. Or if there are any GT3 or GT2 owners in NYC or Litchfield county areas that want to take me for a quick ride that would be great too!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:15 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Hahah, they are just little ol' puppy dogs

IMO I agree with Gomez... They aren't really fun on the street, just way too fast, and the capabilities are just WAY TOO HIGH to exploit on the track, let alone the street... GT3 will be more fun, again, on the street..

BTW Roslyn has sat on that car for over a year, they should just be giving it away at this point lol
hmmm... I personally think the GT2 is MORE fun, but b/c it is stupid fast you are running more risks (mostly of loosing your license, or ending in a ditch...). The Turbo power makes a "SuperCar" more usable in the street. The monster torque defeats the need to downshift and go into hyperdrive...
At the track you are always running highrevs so the performance differential is lower...

IMHO, at $130K it is a bargain and worth the mistake of not enjoying it (and flipping it back for a GT3)
Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with cgomez comments ,
The Gt2 is a more challenging car to drive , fyi i still didnt adapt to it (8 months driving) 600 hp gt2 , whilst my brothers 997.2 Gt3 and my freinds 997.1 GT3 i got adapted to it the first time i drove it!!!!
On the other hand the Gt3 has more race feel and the sound from the inside amazing , whilst as cgomez said the GT2 sound @ 1.4 bar 3rd gear is sick!!!....On the track the 997.2 GT3 driving with TC and Stability control on , it was flashing all over the place,, suprisingly on my RS tuning 600 hp Gt2 , with TC and Stability on it was only interfering on 2 or 3 turns...... something to do the the LSD i suppose..

It all depends on you.. for me my fun factor is having a challenge and partially scared on the track :P

Whilst the GT3 you will have more confidence and controloble power slides..

in the end... it all depends on what you want...

But the GT3 wins hands down for the sensation and sound..

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3