Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help with Soft pedal at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
Awesome news mdrums and great investigating.

I installed SRF at the track but had trouble getting all the ATE blue out first, now I have a mixture of both which I heard is worse than just having ATE Blue .... ****!!!!!

I still had fade problems and actually have a softer overall pedal... so Im back to square one.

I bought 2 more liters of SRF and will take to a shop this time to do it professionally.... I have already wasted a lot of time and money on this issue!!!!!
I can get a soft pedal too but this happens more when the pads are at 50% or worse and I have driving deep into the brake zone every lap. I usually have to back off for a few laps. Our stock rotors and calipers and brake cooling system were not built for qualifying laps, lap after lap.
To solve this issue you need bigger rotors, calipers and more fresh air cooling. However once you get the system full of clean new SRF that will help a lot.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:31 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed SRF at the track but had trouble getting all the ATE blue out first, now I have a mixture of both which I heard is worse than just having ATE Blue .... ****!!!!!

I still had fade problems and actually have a softer overall pedal... so Im back to square one.

I bought 2 more liters of SRF and will take to a shop this time to do it professionally.... I have already wasted a lot of time and money on this issue!!!!!
To fully replace all the fluid, the ABS system needs to be cycled via PIWIS during
the bleeding process...FYI
Old 01-21-2011, 12:13 AM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

SRF is a silicate ester based fluid which is more compressible than more typical borate ester based fluids so your pedal will always feel that way with SRF. There is a new product out, Prospeed's RS683 which has a higher dry boiling point than SRF, is a low compressibility fluid, and enhances seal life. RS 683 is the highest performance fluid on the market today. SRF is now a 20+ year old formula, and while Prospeed is the new kid on the block it lives up to the claims. I use it in my cars and the pedal feel and higher boiling temp have allowed me to remain on my stock calipers and rotors with proper venting and pads.
Cheers,
Chad
Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

^ where do u get this stuff?

More than a few mechanics have told me that SRF is bad for piston seals but I haven't found a better option that works for me.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
^ where do u get this stuff?

More than a few mechanics have told me that SRF is bad for piston seals but I haven't found a better option that works for me.
Here ya go...google is my friend.
http://www.rs683.com/where-to-buy.html#
Old 01-21-2011, 03:37 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just to let you guys know.. the final issue was fried calipers.. i switched to stoptech bbk and the pedal is LIKE a ROCK!!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Here ya go...google is my friend.
http://www.rs683.com/where-to-buy.html#
Thanks mate. Will give this one a try.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:10 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

just to let you guys know.. the final issue was fried calipers.
Can you elaborate on what exactly was wrong with the calipers? They normally can be rebuilt (seals, pistons, etc.).

Quick Reply: Help with Soft pedal at the track