Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help with Soft pedal at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If they are glazed.. can they be sanded down... I read online that this is possible.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:23 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

SRF + GT3 Cup front coolin ducts + 2010 GT3 rear coolin ducts.

Check with the teams running Grand-Am Carrera 3.8 to see what they are doing for brakes.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:32 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To properly bed new pads, I put them under my pillow for a few nights.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Thanks NJ,

Im looking into the 996 GT3 Cup brake ducts.. but I know the new GT3 rear ducts will not work on my 997S.. (thats what suncoast said at least)
Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

mobonic, I do not know what I might see or find out but I will be at Sebring this Friday/Saturday and will check out the lower ranks GT3 Cups. Also in a few weeks the Rolex Grand Am car are running at the IRL St. Pete race and I will be there too and I will take pics of anything I see that might help.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:44 AM
mobonic
Drifting

awesome mdrums!!!
Thanks!

I will take pics of my set up this weekend when i get time to wrench on it
Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New brake pads sometimes smoke quite a bit during the firs run session (especially when comming in).

Brake performance may also not be great first time out with the pads (off gassing or something like that?)

SF
Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
SRF + GT3 Cup front coolin ducts + 2010 GT3 rear coolin ducts.

Check with the teams running Grand-Am Carrera 3.8 to see what they are doing for brakes.
I thought the 997 cup ducts were the same as the streets (unlike the 996)?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:50 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Well after discussing with Kerrigan Smith from Synergy Racing... I decided to do the following:

1. Remove Radiator fans - these fans block efficient air from passing through and cooling brakes sufficiently for the track. Most 997 Koni cars remove these

2. Retrofit plastics infront of front wheels to allow more air to pass through. - Basically there are a few slits that funnel air to the brakes... good enough for spirited driving but not enough for the track.

I cut all the slits into one giant opening and epoxy'd and riveted mesh screen to trap debris

This will funnel air into the front wheels/brakes by A lot more!

Pics will be uploaded soon!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 AM
mobonic
Drifting

BTW... I have never had such good customer service by any company in my whole life.... compared to the service and attention that Kerrigan Smith from Synergy Racing.

This is by far one of the best shops I have ever dealt with....

If anyone on the east coasts need work done to their Porsche, especially 997's... you NEED to go to SYNERGY!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:47 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for info, Grand Am spec. cars really don't use the scoops attached to the control arms anymore, especially if they are updated to 09 specs. due to RSR style suspension links and very low ride height. All that is used is ducted air from the radiator exits. Hope this helps
Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 PM
mobonic
Drifting

thanks bernie... that does help
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Brake pads

Had similar issue first year with my 997 GT3. Switched to Pagid Black Front and Rear and SRF which eliminated most of problem. Yellow in our car seems to "glaze" much easier than the black pads. Also, since the black has more "friction" available, there is a more efficient use of the brakes which leads to less heat transfer to your rotors. Also, I definitely recommend the Titanium shields that cover the backing plate of the pads.

Revised rear brake ducts are key as well. Since I retrofitted the '10 rear brake ducts, my rear pads last 2-1 compared to the front. Before the ducts, I was running the pads 2-1 rear compared to front.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

mobonic, all the cars at Sebring and the World Challange St. Pete race were either using Stop Tech or Porsche 6 piston calipers on Cup floating rotors with center lock wheels. The WC cars from GMG were on Stop Tech and the Truspeed team used Porsche brakes. They were useing the stock GT3 ducts clamped to the lower arms. They had the front radiator fans removed. The GMG teams seemed to be using Hawk pads as this is what I was told by a crew member and I saw a Hawk brake pad box on the table by the trailer. I later that day I tried to find out more info and was told they are not using Hawk pads and that they do not devuldge any info on there cars prep. I guess they though I was some spy from another team but I am just trying to learn!
I saw a guy from Porsche Motorsport walking around the Truspeed pits and I spoke with him and he suggested Pagid pads but later that day back over at GMG the Stop Tech rep I spoke with suggested Performance Friction PF06 pads and again said they are not using Hawk....hummmm. I did find out that Stop Tech is coming out with a pad for the 997 cars that is both race or street duty, durable like a Pagid Yellow but no release yet. I did get the Stop Tech guys card and will follow up on this new race pad.

I need to get new pads for this years DE season. I have been using Pagid Yellows but am interested in Performance Friction PF06 if I can find any that fit imy 997S.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Awesome news mdrums and great investigating.

I installed SRF at the track but had trouble getting all the ATE blue out first, now I have a mixture of both which I heard is worse than just having ATE Blue .... ****!!!!!

I still had fade problems and actually have a softer overall pedal... so Im back to square one.

I bought 2 more liters of SRF and will take to a shop this time to do it professionally.... I have already wasted a lot of time and money on this issue!!!!!

Quick Reply: Help with Soft pedal at the track