997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS or Scuderia?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009 | 02:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Doesn't the scud costs 2 times more? If I had scud money I buy 2 RS's one for the track and the other bubble wrapped : ). Mike
Old 09-17-2009 | 03:03 PM
YearOne
Racer

Haha its funny you mention the Stradale as I bought one earlier this year in TDF over charcoal alcantara interior but it lives in Scotland with my 993RS at my fathers house which has spare garaging. I live in London and work just outside so keeping the cars up there keeps the mileage down and gives me fun empty roads to play with them on. The GT3 has been my car to use for general driving and European road, race and Nurburgring trips which is what the RS/Scud would be used for too.

I took the GT3 into the dealer for a service today and for the last few miles I had my business partner drive it whilst I followed in an E92 M3 and it made me realise again why I love that car so much. We were both launching off the lights and generally behaving pretty badly and with the Sharkwerks screaming the GT3 just looks so mean. Having not driven it for a few weeks either I am reminded how sharp and direct everything about the car is.

I am currently leaning towards the RS over the Scuderia as I think I am more a Porsche chap than a Ferrari one as the pose factor is always hanging over your head in a Scud no matter how well you can drive it, its just inevitable with the brand. I was about to sell the GT3, buy a 575 Maranello for a bit of a change and then get the RS in spring and I might yet do that or I might just sell the GT3 and wait and see how I feel come spring.
Old 09-17-2009 | 03:21 PM
Ritesh
Pro

I don't see the logic of buying a 360 CS or F430 Scud for wknd, cars and coffee use. They are meant to be home at the track. Yet in my 6 years of tracking cars I have seen only 1 360 CS show up. Most of the guys who can afford to own one end up buying a GT3/RS for track use and Ferrari for show/shine. Personally I would much rather buy a 575 or 430 for date nights/ weekend drives than a scud.

Don't get me wrong - there are nights I can't fall asleep because I keep dreaming about a certain TDF 360CS with tan interior. But..... I still can't convince myself to get one.

Last edited by Ritesh; 09-17-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: I is illiterate!
Old 09-17-2009 | 03:53 PM
YearOne
Racer

Originally Posted by Ritesh
I don't see the logic of buying a 360 CS or F430 Scud for wknd, cars and coffee use. They are meant to be home at the track. Yet in my 6 years of tracking cars I have seen only 1 360 CS show up. Most of the guys who can afford to own one end up buying a GT3/RS for track use and Ferrari for show/shine. Personally I would much rather buy a 575 or 430 for date nights/ weekend drives than a scud.

Don't get me wrong - there are nights I can't fall asleep before I keep dreaming about a certain TDF 360CS with tan interior. But..... I still can't convince myself to get one.
I agree, its purely a case of showing off having a Scud or CS for shows but then again I don't understand shows full stop, cars are for thrashing. I have raced for 6 years including Caterhams, Radicals, a Viper GT3 car and did FIA GT4 this year so to me all road cars feel soft on track although the CS is very impressive indeed. For me the point and enjoyment of a road racer is the road part not the track use although the Nurburgring is pretty good

Hammering up the Alps or a twisty road in Scotland/Wales/Germany/France as hard as you can drive, reading the road, sliding around, and speeding is where my best times have been had and will continue to be. Track days are pretty pointless and boring now and I normally get told off for something
Old 09-17-2009 | 05:01 PM
BuzzedHornet
Track Day

I am new here at Rennlist, so hello everyone and thanks to PJS for introducing me to this great community!

Over the past few months I have been trying to figure out what my next purchase will be. I have been emailing PJ with new ideas almost daily, newer E60 M5, 996TT, 996GT3,RUF RTurbo all over the board quite honestly (I currently drive the best car I have ever owned, E39 M5). Last Sunday I had the opportunity to drive a 997.1 GT3RS for an hour and then got a ride in a 360CS. When I got out of the 997GT3RS I proudly announced it was the best car I had ever driven by far and the owner asked if I wanted to take a rip in the CS. WOW the CS is incredible through and through. The automatic blips of the throttle when you pull the paddle back to shift, the seats are perfect (even for my fat a$$). The CS is way out of my budget, but I have a respect for it like I never had before. I had ridden in F430's before and the CS was much more raw and fun. I have also ridden in a Scud and loved it for what it was. All that to say for my dollars I would buy the RS all day every day, then if I had the dollars to buy both that would be another story all together.

PJ is correct, up here in Seattle there are 12 Scud's and 16M's that I can count off the top of my head. Only a few are driven and even fewer are driven HARD!

Sunday made it very apparent that the 997.1 GT3 is the car for me. If I could afford the RS I would but it is not an option. Now I just need a bunch of you to trade in your .1's for .2's so I have more to choose from at my price point!

YearOne, I love your paint job. Do you have any more photos you can share of you car with me/us? Or point me to a thread where they are already posted?
Old 09-17-2009 | 05:27 PM
adamr
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
If money is no object... then both.

And a 5' 9' 110 lbs. Ukrainian babe with thin ankles.
+10000
Old 09-17-2009 | 05:31 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
And a 5' 9' 110 lbs. Ukrainian babe with thin ankles.
Speaking of which, I miss your old avatar...
Old 09-17-2009 | 05:41 PM
adamr
Advanced

what old avatar? ... please do post a pic ...
Old 09-17-2009 | 05:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would take a Scud if you could get a manual gearbox. Even then, it's a close call. As it is, I'd take the RS for sure.
Old 09-17-2009 | 06:21 PM
richk
Drifting

I had both and still have my RS. They are both best of breed and are a ton of fun on the track and street. I sold my scud because the mileage was getting high(4400 miles). Will probably get another scud later this year.
Old 09-17-2009 | 06:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YearOne
Now this being a Porsche forum I understand where your brand loyalties lie but given the option, money no object, which would you rather own a Ferrari Scuderia or the new RS?

I love my 997.1 GT3 but I think I am going to sell it now after a very happy 14months and come spring I need a new toy. The RS to my spec seems to be around £113,000 and used Scuds are now as low as £140,000 so by next spring with the 458 Italia on the scene the difference will be pretty close. My reasons for liking the RS are its single minded purity, manual box, and well its the best of the 911s and I love 911s. The Ferrari counters by being faster and prettier but i'm not that into paddle gearboxes even when they are the best.

Either car will be mainly used on the road not the track, although we are talking about maximum attack road usage including the Nurburgring, as I race GTs and get my track kicks there.

Discuss please....
Sounds like you'd be sorely disappointed by the Scuderia. The F1 box is annoying on the street to say the least. I've had only a quick half hour track session at Sears in the Scuderia. I quickly went to manual shifting because the 'box was making continuous mistakes and violent shifts when driven sedately. On the track, driven at wide open throttle to an imposed 8000 rpm limit, the traction control is impressive -- just go down a gear into the apex and then wide-open throttle and the car does the rest. With so much power, it was a delicate business to keep the front wheels planted or the car would push (rather like a 911, to my surprise) and the huge rubber at the rear meant "neutral" all the way round the track was the only way. Which also, obviously enough, becomes entirely boring after about three laps ... the car is neutral and the electronics take care of the line from the apex to the track out. That leaves you steering and threshold braking. Great for racing and technical driving skills, but not as engaging as a 996 GT3 with nothing but you and the pendulum ... : )

On the plus side -- though it's a showy Ferrari -- I think it looks great and it finally brings the 430 appearance inside and out to where it should have been day one. The body is gorgeous, the enormous brakes are fantastic, the cabin really sets the stage and gets you in the mood for spirited driving. The sound and the rpm range are intoxicating and you'll not get out of this car without some adrenalin in your blood. It's exciting.

I was at the crossroads of "going Ferrari" but I've lost the sense of temptation, especially now the 458 has been revealed and it's too far over the top for my taste. The gearbox in the Scuderia leaves me cold, so if anything, I'd go with a F430, 6spd and CCBs. That would make for a great street car that, around Silicon Valley, doesn't stand out as anything too pretentious.

If anything, the RS is going to be the "look at me" car, so I'll be quick to pull off the wing -- easy enough to put it back on for track days -- and leave the decals in a tube somewhere dry in the basement. My only debate is whether to option up the RS or go "Plain Jane" and maybe just get the PCCBs (because if I don't, I know for the sake of US$8K, I'll be wishing I had the bloody things ... : )

If you can get an RS, I'd say no question.
Old 09-17-2009 | 06:46 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

What can you get a good 360 CS for these days? How is the F1 gearbox holding up in that car?
Old 09-17-2009 | 10:48 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am not biased, as I sell both Porsches and Ferraris, and I have driven both....and there is NO comparison. If they were the same price, I would buy a GT3 RS.

Old 09-18-2009 | 06:41 AM
YearOne
Racer

Can you elaborate as to why you buy the RS over the Scud?

When I drive I always kill the traction control no matter what as I hate it interfering in what i'm doing. Whilst the system in the Scud is incredibly clever and means you can just open the throttle like CarreraGT said I would be turning that CST OFF so its a little unfair to say the car is boring. The Scud is everything Ferrari knows about making a condensed road racer and makes 520bhp, the RS is everything Porsche knows (more than Ferrari I would say) about making a road racer and should be genius.

My main concerns from either are:

Porsche:
Too much grip, I will be hammering it on the road and less grip = more fun. While the increase in tyre size means better lap times it will not be better on the road. The harder the car is to get moving around, the lower the 'fun' levels. Practicalities of the centrlocks.

Ferrari:
Usual Ferrari poseur image (not that bothered what people think), F1 box just not being as involving as a manual. I really don't like the stripes on them one little bit and there are very few without. Mileage is linked to resale (although this will be true in the RS too). Already have a CS which makes a better noise.

Plus points are:

Porsche:
The distilled efforts of the Porsche Motorsport department and a big step on from the GT3 which I already love.
Shorter gear ratios are nice for hard road and 'Ring use.
Bar the colour schemes the car looks mad.
I love Porsches GT and RS range and it will sit nicely with my 993RS, my favourite ever car.
The ultimate track refugee let loose on the road.
Should be rare.
Potential for PTS and creating a one off.
I'd be buying it brand new from the factory and i'v never done that before (and may never get to again!)
Amazing sharwerk'd noise

Ferrari:
Power.
Noise.
Drama.
Speed.
Mid engined.
Technology.
Its a Ferrari (not important to me).
Beautiful detailing.
Speed (again)
Noise (once more)
Old 09-18-2009 | 06:51 AM
johnag007
Intermediate

I am somewhat puzzled by your requirements. Frankly neither of these cars are that much fun on the road unless you are seriously taking risks with cars, pedestrians and the legal dark side (I live in London as well). You cannot even let it rip in France any more (trust me...)! The only thing about the street is the "buzz" you get from the sound and the mechanical feel I would say, and in this department the Scuderia would be difficult to beat, especially with such an exhaust note.

Regarding gearbox you will end up using the Scuderia in manual, but once again how many miles will you be doing in the city realistically?

Said cars are really for the track so best get a Fiorano day in + something from P as well. BTW since you have a 993RS would you really use a 997RS as well or end up abandoning 1 of them?

Quick Reply: RS or Scuderia?