Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is 2010 MY last of the Real Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Is 2010 MY last of the Real Porsches

Given that VW is taking over Porsche I was wondering what effect VW management will have on the marque.

Certainly the 2010's were designed and developed by Porsche, but will the 11's be a VW inspired effort. Will 2010 see the last of the "real" Porsche. Will the 911 remain the icon or will front or mid engine cars take precedent.

Part of the Porsche mystique resided in their unabashed independence and dogged reliance on the venerable 911, still the benchmark by which others are compared. The 997.1 and 997.2 GT3's may be the last and best of the breed.

I truly hope that Porsche does not lose it's soul.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Quozl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some interesting comments in this article on Bloomberg

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aT.nET.1ZieQ

“Porsche’s myth must continue to be visible in an integrated company,” Guenther Oettinger, prime minister of the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, where Porsche is based, told Germany’s ARD television network. "
As well as
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4512876,00.html

"The families are in complete agreement on the fact that Porsche's success is founded on the brand's independence," he added."
Cheers Al
Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The real NAIL will be "CAFE" (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards and will not only affect Porsche but BMW and Mercedes as well.

A little something from to chew on from Autoextremist.com
Porsche. The new EPA CAFE rules hammer the German automaker because the company's sports cars have short wheelbases and consequently small footprints. That means higher fuel economy targets under the new regulations. According to Automotive News, if the industry builds the mix of vehicle sizes that NHTSA projects, Porsche cars would have to average 41.3 mpg in 2015, about 7 mpg better than Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars collectively. Will Porsche fold up its tent and abandon its most lucrative market? No. But it and other high-performance and luxury-performance automakers under the same fuel economy pressure will most certainly "bake-in" the fines that are sure to be handed out for not meeting the new standards. The only question remaining is what those fines will be, as NHTSA is contemplating either keeping them the same as they are now, or raising them. We can easily envision enthusiast consumers paying a $15,000 - $20,000 premium per car just to cover the fines the manufacturer will have to pay if this should go the wrong way.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

No your Porsche is not over Piech is a Porsche family member. VW and Porsche have been togehter since the beginning and I dont think that Piech will screw it up. In Fact I am hoping he will get Porsche back to the track Weidenking seemed to forget where Porsche cut its teeth.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
The real NAIL will be "CAFE" (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards and will not only affect Porsche but BMW and Mercedes as well.

A little something from to chew on from Autoextremist.com

The fuel econ regs would not be so bad if a Mfgr could correspondingly reduce weight. However, the safety (motorist and pedestrian) regs cut against true weight savings (unless hyper-exotic and expensive materials/processes are used). It will be increasingly difficult to build a 'true' sports car at a reasonable price in the next few years IMO. Get the car you want now ..
Old 07-25-2009, 12:04 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 996 GT3 guys think theirs was the last and the air cooled guys think theirs was the end of the real Porsche line.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

I hope it will mark the end of the old and obsolete rear engine 911 design, and allow Porsche to move ahead and finally give to the World it's new mid engine flagship design.

Then we will REALLY have something to talk about!
Old 07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodhii
I hope it will make the end of the old and obsolete rear engine 911 design, and allow Porsche to move ahead and finally give to the World it's new mid engine flagship design.

If by that you mean give the Cayman and Boxster a real engine that has the same HP as a 911 C2S, then I'm with you! That would kick butt.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:26 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Piech is much more of a real "Porsche nut" than Weideking ever was. Piech involved the company in the highest level of motorsports and built the reputation that Porsche thrives on today. Good riddance Dr. W.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:33 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

I hope it will mark the end of the old and obsolete rear engine 911 design, and allow Porsche to move ahead and finally give to the World it's new mid engine flagship design.

Amazing that many still disdain the rear engine design and yet the venerable 911 still kicks but in international motorsport racing and is to this day the benchmark for performance cars. Beat the Ferrari (a mid engine car) handily in the last ALMS race and had pole at this years Sebring 12 hours I believe. Not too shabby for an "old and obsolete design".

Long live the 911!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

... the venerable 911 still kicks but in international motorsport racing...
Yes,.. Porsche is now achieving an absolute miracle of sports car engineering with the grand old venerable 911 design. That shows the engineering capabilities of Porsche; NOT the contemporary quality of the old 911 design. Now if we can just apply these same fantastic Porsche engineering capabilities with a new state of the art, modern sports car design, then we will all be dancing in the heavens!! And we will be discussing it all with the greatest of interests, amazement, and true Porsche love. The whole Porsche world seems to feel VERY confident that Porsche has already designed well over 80% of the future mid-engine, 911 successor. Believe me, I have ZERO interest in an IMPROVED 998.2 edition of the same old rear engine 911. Lets support Porsche's move into an exciting future with an all NEW flagship sports car design. And then we will get to see what these very same Porsche's super engineers and miracle workers, can do with that!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Amazing that many still disdain the rear engine design and yet the venerable 911 still kicks but in international motorsport racing and is to this day the benchmark for performance cars. Beat the Ferrari (a mid engine car) handily in the last ALMS race and had pole at this years Sebring 12 hours I believe. Not too shabby for an "old and obsolete design".

Long live the 911!
+1
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
The real NAIL will be "CAFE" (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards and will not only affect Porsche but BMW and Mercedes as well. ...
When PAG becomes one of the 10 cos of VAG it should pass CAFE as part of VAG's fleet average, don't you think? I think that this advantage was one of the motivators for the merger to begin with.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

The goodness of a mid-engine design not withstanding... what is your business in a 911 forum?

Obsolete rear-engine 911 design... my foot! I suggest you move to the GTR forum.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 PM
green
Pro

Ferrari's mystique is alive and well despite it being a subsidiary of Fiat.
I think Porsche will be just fine in the VW group.

Quick Reply: Is 2010 MY last of the Real Porsches