Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is 2010 MY last of the Real Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be time to simply continue to 911 platform's evolution, but also develop another chassis that would perform at a possibly higher level.

You would still have the chance to have that rear engined performance, and all it brings, all you have to do is vote with your pocketbook.

But maybe it would liberate Porsche to make another beautiful legend. Who knows what they could come out with.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

I think that is what the GT variant of the Panamera was supposed to accomplish - a front engined, V8 powered, thoroughly modern GT car, although not a nimble racer by any means, to compete with the Mercs, etc. We will now see if the car ever sees the light of day.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"And let's not forget that the Porsches own 50.7% of VAG. "

moot point - since VW is assuming the dept that porsche took out to buy that they are getting a hell of a deal for most of it (not so much after porsche created the run on the stock)

CAFE/CO2 reg can now be combated via VW entry models and save porsche - that was a driver for the deal in the first place. look at porsche avg CO2 emissions and the legistation that was/is going to be enacted in europe - it would have killed porsche alone due to CO2 taxes.

best outcome for them as i sit right now....

Piech was the driving force behind the iconic racing programs of the late 60's and 70's as well.

"I am afraid we may be entering a dark period for Porsche much like the late 1980s/early 1990's. "

no i don't think so - we would be if porsche carried the dept with no buyer for sure - acutally it would have ment a wholesale sell off of the assests or a buyout at rock bottom prices to keep the workers in jobs.
i do think we are entering a period of "reboot" for many projects - the core will survive and move forward but some of the model duplication will end (say 1/2 of the 911 variants, who knows about the 4 doors for now since bently and Audi are in the stable).

My prediction is that you will still be able to buy a GT3 2 years from now and 1/2 of the 911 line (think simplified range), a Cayenne and maybe the turbo and the Panamera s and turbo (for now, but likely to be not refreshed or the platform moved over to Audi A8,VW (nee Phanton).

I do think that Porsche Motorsports will grow as it takes over the Audi banner for the next 5 years or so and with the classes shrinking its a good thing (P1/GT1 only) LeMans should see a Porsche Win in both P1 and Gt in same year which would be great (gas powered P1 and RSR) as a goal.

Sadly this kills my dream of a 356 replacement with a flat4 water cooled rear engine - which could have been a volume low CO2 product for porsche but .......who knows

my musings only..YMMV
Old 07-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

The "356 replacement" is now guaranteed as a variant of the VW Bluemotion (or something like that) prototype which will spin off VW, Audi and Porsche two seaters.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
jbryan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Piech is a tiger and Porsche will be just fine. Don't forget he was the brains behind the 917 while at Porsche.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:58 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I tend to think that, as much as Dr. Porsche was into innovation, if he were still alive today the 911 would've stopped being rear-engined awhile ago.

Just my $.02
Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ I agree to a point.

However, i think there is an erroneous assumption running thru this thread: That the 911 platform was originally intended as a racing platform. No doubt it is one as applied. But the intent of the rear engine platform when developed was as a grand tourer (GT), not a race car. [See the Post cited below for the basis and reasons behind that statement.].

Porsche got trapped by economic success and has done an unbelievable job at over-coming obstacles and being successful. But the original engineers recognized the limitation of the platform up front. The mid engined platform was always the intended race platform. Porsche should, and might now, return to such.

Cite and credit to the original Poster: https://rennlist.com/forums/6114589-post34.html

Full thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-to-911-a.html
Old 08-01-2009, 09:30 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go by the sentiments of the 993 board, the last real Porsche was made in 1998.

Quick Reply: Is 2010 MY last of the Real Porsches