Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

A 'ring lap video of mine...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:29 PM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 'ring lap video of mine...

Rather than hijack TeamDrugMoneys thread I thought i'd post this separately. This is a video I made before being made to remove the camera, its my 15th lap and watching it back now its pretty poor but its all I shot so its all you get! Its an 8.06 bridge to gantry with lots of traffic and a lack of commitment in the fast stuff. The day after we did a day with Ron Simmons from RSR Nurburg which has tidied it up a lot and made me much faster round there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV9jpKy7Its

Last edited by YearOne; 11-30-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A least nobody passed you!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Cool, thanks for posting!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

I had a chance to go for a ride with YearOne and I must say he has some talent! I think at the time I was with him he had only around 7 laps at the Ring and I was amazed at his way around. You sure are fortunate to have some great talent!

It was funny to hear you talking about how nice it was to have the motorhome at Spa, and even talking of a full blown tractor trailer for a race setup as things progress! Best of luck to you with all your racing! The addiction sure can run deep!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:28 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by YearOne
This is a video I made before being made to remove the camera
That's is a very fast pace, given the kind of traffic.

What's the deal with camcorders at the Nurburgring? Are they prohibited? How are people recording videos?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 PM
jbryan
Advanced

Thanks YearOne...brought back a ton of memories!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
YearOne
Racer

Thanks TDM wish I could have done the RMA day and run the full track, hope Spa was fun today, its the best race track isn't it? I am hopefully doing the 4hr VLN race there in a months time so I will be back there after my Spa races a week on Saturday for the tourist weekend again. Racing is living as you are soon to find out!

It would appear you are not allowed to run cameras on the tourist days. I had mine in for three laps before a marshal noticed and made me remove it. I'll sneak it out again though....
Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 PM
GlennMc
Racer

That's very good going for only 15 laps, almost too good considering you already know which kerbs to take, and which ones not to, that usually takes a some people a while to work out.

What suspension set up/tyres were you running ?

Here's a vid i did at last years Manthey day, only around 8mins BTG i think, but was pretty clear.

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...hey1sthalf.flv

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...hey2ndhalf.flv

I couldn't make the RMA day, and was pretty glad as it was forecast to be wet, but my mates rang me from there with great delight to tell me it's bone dry

What series do you race in ??

G.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 AM
YearOne
Racer

Hi Glenn the car has standard suspension with a Manthey geometry set up although this lap was done with a Fearnsport set up. The tyres are Toyo 888s. I am trying to decide if I should have the Manthey suspension fitted but until I can drive a car with it on the road (where my car spends a lot of its time) then I will wait.

I surprised myself by knowing the track as I was there a month or so ago for the first time in seven years and ran five laps which were vaguely similar to the one in the video. I have always learnt circuits quickly and this seems no exception, I have watched a lot of video from the 'ring but thats about it and more as a fan than a student.

I am racing in FIA GT4 this year in a Ginetta G50 which is what we hope to run in the VLN race in their GT4 class. Whether it will hold together is something we will find out! Next year I hope to be in FIA GT3 as I did British GT in 2007 in a Viper and I crave the power!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:06 AM
GlennMc
Racer

Hi Glenn the car has standard suspension with a Manthey geometry set up although this lap was done with a Fearnsport set up. The tyres are Toyo 888s. I am trying to decide if I should have the Manthey suspension fitted but until I can drive a car with it on the road (where my car spends a lot of its time) then I will wait.

I surprised myself by knowing the track as I was there a month or so ago for the first time in seven years and ran five laps which were vaguely similar to the one in the video. I have always learnt circuits quickly and this seems no exception, I have watched a lot of video from the 'ring but thats about it and more as a fan than a student.

I am racing in FIA GT4 this year in a Ginetta G50 which is what we hope to run in the VLN race in their GT4 class. Whether it will hold together is something we will find out! Next year I hope to be in FIA GT3 as I did British GT in 2007 in a Viper and I crave the power!
I ran 888's for a while, they are good value, but the noise got on my **** !!

Had Manthey KW suspension on my old MKII, it was great around the Ring, although was a tad pointy making high speed over steer i bit hairy. Apparently that's how Olaf likes his cars !!!

You should try a series called the GT Cup, there are 4 GT classes in that, good racing. I did a few rounds before moving onto Carrera Cup.

G
Old 07-15-2009, 06:15 AM
YearOne
Racer

Originally Posted by GlennMc
I ran 888's for a while, they are good value, but the noise got on my **** !!

Had Manthey KW suspension on my old MKII, it was great around the Ring, although was a tad pointy making high speed over steer i bit hairy. Apparently that's how Olaf likes his cars !!!

You should try a series called the GT Cup, there are 4 GT classes in that, good racing. I did a few rounds before moving onto Carrera Cup.

G
I know they are noisy but the price is too attractive to ignore and they slide nicely too and work in the wet.

I know a few people doing GT Cup and its been a massive success this year compared to BGT which has been rubbish but I fancy something a bit more serious and FIA is pretty serious! Are you still doing Carrera Cup? I did a few rounds of the G50 Cup earlier this year.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:29 AM
GlennMc
Racer

I know they are noisy but the price is too attractive to ignore and they slide nicely too and work in the wet.

I know a few people doing GT Cup and its been a massive success this year compared to BGT which has been rubbish but I fancy something a bit more serious and FIA is pretty serious! Are you still doing Carrera Cup? I did a few rounds of the G50 Cup earlier this year.
Yeah doing the rest of the season in Carrera Cup, at Snetterton in 2 weeks, then Knockhill and Silverstone also in August.

I got the 997 Cup Car at the start of the year, did a bit of testing in it, the did the 1st round of GT Cup in April.
I won my class that day in race 1, which was a bit of a suprise considering i only start racing at the end of last year (still had my novice cross on !!) and then that was the decider for me to go into Carrera Cup, which has pulled my driving along massively, as the pace is just imense, there's just no room for mistakes.

Bit of footage here from race 2 in April, after i won race 1, they slapped me with 60KG of success ballast, which just murdered the car, and i only just made 4th in class.
http://www.vimeo.com/4230505

Here's some from when i had a 996 Cup:

http://www.vimeo.com/2014513

They get over 40 cars on the grid now, and are looking at doing some endurance racies next year.
I will probably be back there next year, as the cost of Carrera Cup is murdering me !!!!

G.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 AM
YearOne
Racer

Yeah doing the rest of the season in Carrera Cup, at Snetterton in 2 weeks, then Knockhill and Silverstone also in August.

I got the 997 Cup Car at the start of the year, did a bit of testing in it, the did the 1st round of GT Cup in April.
I won my class that day in race 1, which was a bit of a suprise considering i only start racing at the end of last year (still had my novice cross on !!) and then that was the decider for me to go into Carrera Cup, which has pulled my driving along massively, as the pace is just imense, there's just no room for mistakes.

Bit of footage here from race 2 in April, after i won race 1, they slapped me with 60KG of success ballast, which just murdered the car, and i only just made 4th in class.
http://www.vimeo.com/4230505

Here's some from when i had a 996 Cup:

http://www.vimeo.com/2014513

They get over 40 cars on the grid now, and are looking at doing some endurance racies next year.
I will probably be back there next year, as the cost of Carrera Cup is murdering me !!!!

G.
Good work the carrera cup is certainly competitive thats for sure and it is big money, good luck with it. I did the Britcar 24hr last year which was great and just got back from the 25hr FunCup race at Spa which was fantastic! I seriously recommend that race to anyone its hilarious and the cars are really fun to drive, its like a 25hr long one make sprint race, you are racing cars every single lap you are out there.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 AM
GlennMc
Racer

Good work the carrera cup is certainly competitive thats for sure and it is big money, good luck with it. I did the Britcar 24hr last year which was great and just got back from the 25hr FunCup race at Spa which was fantastic! I seriously recommend that race to anyone its hilarious and the cars are really fun to drive, its like a 25hr long one make sprint race, you are racing cars every single lap you are out there.
I drove a fun cup car for 1 lap at Silverstone then got straight back out of it !!!
Didn't see the fun of it, but fair play for driving one in endurance racing, you need arm like a body builder to turn the steering wheel !!!!

An Aussie freind of mine did the Spa race iirc, he was raving about it, did sound like a fun series.

Did Britcar 3 hour at Spa 3 weeks ago, 2hour stint in the wet and loved every minute of it.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 AM
YearOne
Racer

I drove a fun cup car for 1 lap at Silverstone then got straight back out of it !!!
Didn't see the fun of it, but fair play for driving one in endurance racing, you need arm like a body builder to turn the steering wheel !!!!

An Aussie freind of mine did the Spa race iirc, he was raving about it, did sound like a fun series.

Did Britcar 3 hour at Spa 3 weeks ago, 2hour stint in the wet and loved every minute of it.
Haha yeah they are a little basic! I sat in it in the garage and thought "what is this thing!?" but half a lap in it was brilliant. I love the steering on it and round Spa it was great even if it has no power it was such a refreshing race to be car to car racing hard in the dark and carving through traffic.

Quick Reply: A 'ring lap video of mine...