Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

LIGHTWEIGHT HEADLIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LIGHTWEIGHT HEADLIGHTS

Will you order this option for your new GT3 or RS?

Save 6KG and without the washing thing, I still cannot decide on this, I want to have good lights, but I don't want the cleaning system.

Anyone knows any good aftermarket HID? How hard to install that?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:25 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

The option is ticked on my list, marginally so for the weight saving, but the xenons clusters are just plain ugly to me. The original hallogens are really not that bad.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

^the hallogen color is white or yellow?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:16 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way. This downgrades you to basic halogens. The light/visibility improvements are well worth having bi-xenons and who on the planet is actually going to go fast for a 6 lb lightening of the front weight in front of the front axle centerline? Remember that bi-xenons were a $1100 option. Now you have the option of giving up $1100 and not getting a dime back.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 07-13-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

I believe you cant have the front lift system if you go with the lightweight headlights - but then I guess if you are bothered about saving a few KG on the headlights you probably dont want the front lift due to the weight it adds... A very practical issue though...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

I dont mind about that 6kg, but without the cleaning system, the car looks better.

I am not sure about the lift system too, because the front lip need to replace once a while anyway.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Hmm, well each to their own - Im not sure how two 2cm chrome blips spoil the looks of the car.

When you say the Xenons are ugly are you sure you dont mean the dynamic xenons are ugly? Id agree with that, but the std Xenons are just fine I think...

Have you considered keeping the Xenons and having the cleaning system painted (Code XUB)? Its a pretty cheap option to add and gives you the best of both worlds if you arnt too bothered about the weight saving?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing finer than Xenon driving in the dark.
I can't see the cleaning system when I'm driving...

But then I tend to drive the car more than most instead of looking at it.

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by MJones
I can't see the cleaning system when I'm driving...

But then I tend to drive the car more than most instead of looking at it.

Awesome!!! I thought I was the only one who says that. Although I too hate the warts and extra weight and complexity of the bi-xenons, I could not agree more with the statement above.

So many are SO preoccupied with the looks of a car, that they wouldn't buy what could be the best car in the world because they don't like the looks.

Cars are for driving, not looking at. If you actually drive your car, then you are inside it and you can't see what it looks like. When you do finally have to park it, then just don't look back!

Form follows function.

Last edited by 340Elise; 07-13-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbo4ever
I dont mind about that 6kg, but without the cleaning system, the car looks better.

I am not sure about the lift system too, because the front lip need to replace once a while anyway.
They offer to have the washer jets in body color for exactly this reason.

Originally Posted by Adam2S
I believe you cant have the front lift system if you go with the lightweight headlights - but then I guess if you are bothered about saving a few KG on the headlights you probably dont want the front lift due to the weight it adds... A very practical issue though...
Well, these are independent options. Having front end lift and halogen headlights should not be options together, but to each his own.

So, why would you order the downgrade halogen lights to throw away $1100 of bi-xenons and then spend money to add weight back in with buying an inferior aftermarket xenon upgrade kit? The entire weight savings isn't really the headlight housings. Both the bi-xenons and halogens have glass projectors. The weight savings is really from getting rid of the HID ballasts. Does something seem wrong here?

Last edited by 10 GT3; 07-13-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

all i really care about the is the engine, gearbox and suspension. they can put those things on a yugo and i would still buy it.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
So, why would you order the downgrade halogen lights to throw away $1100 of bi-xenons and then spend money to add weight back in with buying an inferior aftermarket xenon upgrade kit? The entire weight savings isn't really the headlight housings. Both the bi-xenons and halogens have glass projectors. The weight savings is really from getting rid of the HID ballasts. Does something seem wrong here?
I think you are wrong about where the weight comes from. The ballasts and ignitors weigh only a few ounces. The weight with the factory Xenons comes from the motorized self-leveling system and the washers. Getting the lightweight headlights and adding aftermarket Xenons will result in a weight very close to the lightweight setup.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

grant is correct the ballest only account for a small total of that weight savings -
the levelers, the heavier housing, washer pumps, hoses etc acount for the real savings.

6kg for $1,100 is actually not bad all in all compaired to some things.

that being said a gt3 with all the light weigh goodies would be interesting (PCCB, GT2 seats, headlights, & delete model designation is it i think from the factory since you have to get the knock off wheels now)
Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

If you can feel a 6kg/13lb difference in a car that weighs 3,300lbs+ with you in it, you should be getting ready for the Turkish GP rather than posting here. That said, a weight difference that can be felt is largely the result of many small reductions, and if the car is primarily used on the track instead of at night on dark canyon or rural roads, then deleting them makes perfect sense as part of a larger weight loss program.

Personally, in a focused car like the GT3 I like the idea of simple, less complex, and less weight. And I've always hated the chrome nipples, so I would delete the xenons. We don't get a 'free' sunroof anymore, and I don't hear anybody complaining...
Old 07-14-2009, 08:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Less is more on a GT3. I would delete xenons..

Quick Reply: LIGHTWEIGHT HEADLIGHTS