Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OMG - GT3 Preview at Silverstone this Wednesday. Get to meet God - Andreas Preuninger

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive found a youtube video of the UK launch day! Not much to see but the colour on the video is pretty much how it looks in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sioW0JWs990
Old 06-28-2009, 05:07 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2S
Ive found a youtube video of the UK launch day! Not much to see but the colour on the video is pretty much how it looks in real life.
Yup, that be Guards Red. Good find

Wheres MIA Buttons123 ?......, we wait with baited breath
Old 07-01-2009, 02:01 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

* When asked about disconnecting the "brown plug" on the PSE he stated that it was absolutely fine to do so (on GT3 and Carrera's) and caused no damage whatsoever to the engine - he even showed us how to do it on the GT3.1. He however pointed out that the alternative method of disconnecting the vaccum hose was extreemly bad for the engine as it damaged the integrity of the vaccum system which was used for other critical functions.
Where is this vacuum hose located?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM
_rocket
Racer

I just did a google, and found this: Are these the hoses what Andreas were referring to?

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=271752

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/gt/2...nd-buster.html
Old 07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Yes I believe that is it... That looks like a GT3 pic to me - its the same connector but in a slightly different place on a normal Carrera/S
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 PM
buttons123
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJones
Yup, that be Guards Red. Good find

Wheres MIA Buttons123 ?......, we wait with baited breath
Been playing, try this if it works will post the rest.

http://www.me.com/idisk/

Click on shared and/or public, let me know guys??
Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Yes I did - hadn't posted it already as it was a bit shakey. It was the first pic I took so I guess I was still shaking with anticipation!

Looks a bit too thick to me!

WOW
Old 07-02-2009, 06:56 AM
buttons123
Instructor

Default Guys here's one of the answers you've been waiting for FLYWHEEL!!

In terms of the dual mass/single mass flywheel there are a number of factors that need to be taken into account:

Weight
As the single mass is lighter this will alter the dynamics of the car. *This affects other components such as the suspension set-up and is therefore not as simple as just replacing the dual-mass with a single-mass flywheel.

EMU
The Engine Management Unit (computer that controls things such as fuel injection cycles in the engine) has been set-up specifically for the dual-mass flywheel. *Therefore it knows exactly how fast the dual-mass flywheel will spin under any amount of load. *The single-mass obviously has very different behaviour so there would need to be re-programming of the EMU to cope with this (and I
don't believe our colleagues in Weissach would ever release the EMU programming for the single-mass). *Fitting a single-mass flywheel without re-programming the EMU could cause major problems -
hence the invalidation of the warranty.

Vibrations/noise
The dual-mass flywheel produces a lot less vibrations/noise which is why it is fitted to the GT3. *The single mass would compromise the on-road dynamics of the car.

Positioning of the car
The GT3 is positioned as a road car that can be used on the track. *So we have to take into account some of the comfort elements (vibrations/noise) to make sure that we please as many customers as possible. *The GT3 RS is a racecar that can be used on the road
which is why we feature much more racing componentry such as the single-mass flywheel.

Hopefully the above makes sense. *It is always a very tricky subject as some GT3 customers always want to make their GT3 more 'extreme', however, this is really why we have the RS model.

I hope the above makes sense.

So that's a pretty comprehensive answer to a couple of avid track gents. Buy a RS rather than mess about with the " normal " GT3 set up.

It took a while. But we got there!!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:04 AM
buttons123
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nizer
It looks like we're going to have to wait until the next event to get the answer...
Ok Nizer your question has now been answered

regards

button123
Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by buttons123
Ok Nizer your question has now been answered

regards

button123
Great detail! Thanks for following up and posting everything.

It's too bad Porsche is taking such a hard line on modifying the standard GT3. Adding lighter exhaust and flywheel to achieve better dynamics shouldn't be such a big issue. IMHO, rather than casting clients adrift who wanted to upgrade their cars, Porsche should offer the upgrades through dealers and stand behind the warranty. Yes it would cost more than buying aftermarket, but at least you'd have the choice to maintain the warranty.

Sounds like it's RS or nothing for me (despite being an American).
Old 07-02-2009, 01:14 PM
_rocket
Racer

EMU
The Engine Management Unit (computer that controls things such as fuel injection cycles in the engine) has been set-up specifically for the dual-mass flywheel. *Therefore it knows exactly how fast the dual-mass flywheel will spin under any amount of load. *The single-mass obviously has very different behaviour so there would need to be re-programming of the EMU to cope with this (and I
don't believe our colleagues in Weissach would ever release the EMU programming for the single-mass). *Fitting a single-mass flywheel without re-programming the EMU could cause major problems -
Thanks - it all makes sense now. You're a star.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

EMU
I *thought* that there was a sensor/input to the ECU/DME that indicated which flywheel was installed on the car to enable the ECU to adapt ...

failing that you could always install an RS DME in the car ... maybe someone @
Sharkwerks can comment ...
Old 07-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

EMU
Ti exhaust appears a given based on comments from the event and classic Ti discoloration on this spy photo. In addition to the likely 25-30lb weight saving, the exhaust will also mean different EMU programming.

If I were Porsche I'd offer a simple upgrade package for standard GT3 that included single-mass flywheel, Ti Exhaust, and RS chip. I suspect there'd be a lot of takers.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2009, 01:02 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
Not going to happen..

Want the upgrades?, follow the marque and buy the RS in the first place
Old 07-04-2009, 02:29 PM
_rocket
Racer

Originally Posted by Nizer
classic Ti discoloration on this spy photo.
So, it's still a muffler, not a bypass? I wonder where the extra 14 horsepower is going to come from?

Anyway, I don't think the entire exhaust system will be made of Ti, it will be just the rear muffler (like the GT2).

Quick Reply: OMG - GT3 Preview at Silverstone this Wednesday. Get to meet God - Andreas Preuninger