GT3.2 Lift system

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
My understanding is that MkI spoiler scrapped pretty regularly at normal speeds. An airlift system won't help here and MkII is 30mm lower. If the new spoiler is as vulnerable as you allude then we all have problems with or without the lift.
Bottom of spoiler to ground is the same for MkI & MkII...

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM
mattwhite
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I previously owned an '07 997S with factory aerokit. I'm actually scraping less with my new '10 GT3. I think it is a combination of the shape of the lip and the firmness of the suspension.

Example - I park in an underground garage with a steep driveway that flattens out abruptly to the flat parking area. The driveway is narrow so I can only take it with a slight angle. The 997S always scraped. I can get the GT3 in with no scraping.

I have scraped while driving and unexpectedly hitting an uneven spot in the road. The lift system will do nothing to stop this. So based upon my experience, I don't see the need unless you have trailer issues or problems with your home driveway, etc.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by mattwhite
I previously owned an '07 997S with factory aerokit. I'm actually scraping less with my new '10 GT3. I think it is a combination of the shape of the lip and the firmness of the suspension.

Example - I park in an underground garage with a steep driveway that flattens out abruptly to the flat parking area. The driveway is narrow so I can only take it with a slight angle. The 997S always scraped. I can get the GT3 in with no scraping.

I have scraped while driving and unexpectedly hitting an uneven spot in the road. The lift system will do nothing to stop this. So based upon my experience, I don't see the need unless you have trailer issues or problems with your home driveway, etc.
Thanks for the real-world feedback. It would be helpful for those of us still in the order process to hear from others.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have decided to order the front lift system to help increase the usability of the car. Sure, 30mm isn't huge but it is the difference between just scraping or damaging you bar because of an aggesive angle. Many driveways and carparks are narrow so angled approaches aren't an option. I don't want this to decide whether I take the car or not...

The car will still scrape but my aim is to make the car as usable as possible.... Keeping in mind that the front lift increase the approach angle of a gt3 almost to that of a regular Carrera. The price is steap but the price of the car is steaper- shame not to be able to use it as much as possible.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I have decided to order the front lift system to help increase the usability of the car. Sure, 30mm isn't huge but it is the difference between just scraping or damaging you bar because of an aggesive angle. Many driveways and carparks are narrow so angled approaches aren't an option. I don't want this to decide whether I take the car or not...

The car will still scrape but my aim is to make the car as usable as possible.... Keeping in mind that the front lift increase the approach angle of a gt3 almost to that of a regular Carrera. The price is steap but the price of the car is steaper- shame not to be able to use it as much as possible.
Increasing the usefulness of the car is absolutely a good thing. Although, a gt3 is lowered 30mm more than a standard Carrera, the gt3's front (even lifted) will still scrape where a base Carrera would not. The gt3's front lip is angled much differently than a base Carrera. A gt3 raised 30mm at the lip compared to a base Carrera at its' lip, the gt3 would still be lower.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dev
Increasing the usefulness of the car is absolutely a good thing. Although, a gt3 is lowered 30mm more than a standard Carrera, the gt3's front (even lifted) will still scrape where a base Carrera would not. The gt3's front lip is angled much differently than a base Carrera. A gt3 raised 30mm at the lip compared to a base Carrera at its' lip, the gt3 would still be lower.
I agree with you 911dev-whilst not perfect, for me the benefit will be when compared to not having any lift at all.... The Porsche system whilst not providing as much lift as the other systems, gives you lift within a couple of seconds.... The cargraphics system and others whilst great in terms of amount of lift, the system takes several seconds to lift and seems somewhat heavier. Furthermore, the aftermarket stuff is harder to get locally if at all so I'd have to import it and get someone unfamiliar with it to install

Front spoiler scrapes are a given in a gt3. If it means I can actually take it places I would otherwise avoid like the plague- its gotta be a positive.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

ok the bilstein airlift is in. I have some pictures but they are not great. here is what I can tell you. it does a very nice job of raising the car almost 2". It is a funny system that uses the porsche supplied tire air pump that is in your trunk to fill the air bags. you do not replace the springs, you raise the upper spring perches by 13mm. this is all that is needed to accomodate the unfilled airbag. you do need to completely remove the shock to get to the camber plates and upper perches. The compressor makes a lot of noise from inside the car, outside you barely hear it. it takes around 15 - 20 seconds for the car to get to full height. also the little remote they give you is a little annoying as there is no hardwired button in the car, just a little keyfob. other than that it does exactly what it is supposed to. lowered ride height has not changed at all.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:24 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The Cargraphic flyer shows a switch available in roof console, guess you did not get that option.

What was the Total Labor cost? Did that included re-alignment and resetting ride height ?

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cr207
it takes around 15 - 20 seconds for the car to get to full height.
I'm betting a lot of people will get sick of waiting 15-20sec after a few weeks and will just scrape the crap out of the car just to get where they are going.... Way too long to have to wait... Can't exactly crawl slowly towards a set of speedhumps waiting for the car to raise before you get there... What about when you're pulling into a service station or your driveway (assuming on a busy street)? Do you wait at the entrance whilst it inflates, holding up traffic behind you...

I'm seeing more drawbacks with some of the aftermarket systems than the Porsche system dispite the greater clearance...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by 911rox
Front spoiler scrapes are a given in a gt3. If it means I can actually take it places I would otherwise avoid like the plague- its gotta be a positive.
911rox has it right. The lift system has nothing to do with not scraping the lip. Who cares if the lip gets scraped or cracked or even destroyed. The lift system means the car can be taken places it otherwise could not be taken at all. It makes the car more daily usable.

Is it worth $3k? Is the whole car worth $130k? I don't know. The point is that the lift system is a very, very worthwhile feature for those of us who enjoy daily driving our GT3, and has little to do with preserving the front lip.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:36 AM
OPEC
Intermediate

It's a sacrificial part on the GT3. I'll go on a diet and lose 14 pounds so that I can have the lift and still be lighter at the track.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
The Cargraphic flyer shows a switch available in roof console, guess you did not get that option.

What was the Total Labor cost? Did that included re-alignment and resetting ride height ?
Jonesy always with the info. That's a pretty neat installation (assuming it somehow retains at least one garage door button pair.)
Old 09-04-2009, 07:28 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Pics & Video we wait!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 10:05 AM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

the hardwired button is not available yet, and the labor is 5.5 hours plus alignment. if you know where you are going, like when I get close to my garage in the city I press the button ahead of time so when I get there it is already at full height. you can do this as long as you are not going above 30 mph. the KW system was $1000 more, not sure how that one works.

Quick Reply: GT3.2 Lift system