Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GT3.2 Lift system

Pic of the lift system...pretty compact
and another cutaway.

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:23 PM
bvineyards
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

mjones,
where the hell did you get those pictures? did you steal that stuff from the factory and take it home?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:43 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ A lot of people recently were wondering the same thing .. esp one guy whose first name is 'Cass'
Old 05-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

I think the engine mounts at $1,300 are a no-brainer but I'm on the fence about the lift system. At $3,490 it seems like a lot to pay for added weight and potential maintenance issues, not to mention the limitations it imposes on suspension upgrades. I think I'd rather just pay for a new splitter when needed.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nizer
I think the engine mounts at $1,300 are a no-brainer but I'm on the fence about the lift system. At $3,490 it seems like a lot to pay for added weight and potential maintenance issues, not to mention the limitations it imposes on suspension upgrades. I think I'd rather just pay for a new splitter when needed.
Weight comes is at <15#

The config of new splitter may be LESS forgiving than the old one due to it's more knife edge shape

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. cool pics, now i don't want that in my RS, just PCCB would be great. I don't want to add those thing into my RS! just change the spoiler when needed.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Weight comes is at <15#

The config of new splitter may be LESS forgiving than the old one due to it's more knife edge shape
Regretfully, I think you are right on the money... I'm considering this option for the very same reason. The spoiler seems to protrude forward rather than downwards and it doesn't look like it'll flex as forgivingly as on the 997.1... This would also suggest that the bottom of the bar holding this lip sits closer to the ground to stop lift...

Otherwise, I doubt Porsche would offer this option on the gt3 when they have withheld so many offerings (ie PDK) on the grounds that they don't fall in line with the purpose of the car. And I doubt they'd slap a gustly price of $3.5k on it unless they anticipate lips will be shreaded at an even greater rate...
Old 05-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

I can see both sides of the argument and I think it comes down to how you're going to use the car. If it's a daily driver where you're not always sure what you'll encounter then it probably makes sense to get the lift system. If it's mainly a weekend and track day toy then it should be relatively easy to avoid risky slow-speed transitions.

I'm actually more concerned about clearance on uneven roads at speed, e.g, some of the sweet roads in Vermont that can get a little rough after tough winters and in between repaves. The lift system does nothing for you here as it can't be used above 30mph.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:12 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nizer
If it's mainly a weekend and track day toy then it should be relatively easy to avoid risky slow-speed transitions.
Since you have not owned a 3, you have not experienced the pain.

I've driven mine across the country with no problems on various roads.

Here is where it gets dicey...
Its 3ft from the front wheel to the edge of the spoiler.
The car has a 5.6° approach angle.
I cannot get into my own driveway without extreme crabbing, nor service stations and allot of other places. This at times is due to the fact that the crown of the slopes downward approaching an uphill slope...yikes.

Getting the 3 on a trailer same story without long ramps or lots of blocks.

I'm just guessing that the "knife edge" spoiler will not be as forgiving (bendable) as the more vertical spoiler of Gen 1.

BTW I still have the original spoiler on my car, 24,000 mi., it's battle scars are not too bad.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:29 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Pictures are from the press presentation room. Porsche makes all kinds of cool displays and cutaways.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night I replaced the spoiler, then backed the car off of my drive-on lift and backed it onto the lift (this makes more room underneath). These two simple maneuvers resulted in wear to and marks on the new spoiler. I guess I never realized how often it is making contact with the ground or foreign objects in normal driving, on and off the track. The lift system should help but I know several roads around here where I have bottomed out big time under speed, and I supect owners will be buying new spoilers anyway.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:15 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

um, remove the spoiler for street and replace at track. My car is 2" off the ground waay lower then stock very close to cup height.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Bummer. Now I'm getting talked into the lift system. Oh well. What's another $3k when you're spending $130k+...
Old 05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um... not a good idea to exose the bottom of the bumper cover to scrapes - that you can't replace for two hundred bucks.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Some Factoids:
• The system weight of all components of the Front Axle Lift System is approximately 13 lbs (6 kg).
• The lifting operation is completed in approximately 2- 3 seconds.
• Electro pneumatic function module with pneumatic compressor, pressure reservoir and
valve block unit
• PASM dampers on the front axle with additional compressed air connection underneath
• The upper and lower end position of the system is recorded by means of the pressure in the dampers.
• The pneumatic compressor generates pressure of up to 247 PSI (17 bar) if necessary. The pressure
reservoir has a filling volume of approximately 2.0 l and supplies the pressure for system operation after use of the compressor.

The system does not use an "airbag" like the Cargraphic Airlift System and has no accumulator and takes a bit more time to raise the car

Quick Reply: GT3.2 Lift system