Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

mooty making some moves in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

That be one he'll of a awesome sanctioned event. Street spec gt3 and bsr in same session
- yummy. Mike
Old 02-23-2009, 12:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

3/21-22 weekend at TH.
ill b there, g\keny in bsr and dave in gt3 will all b in the race. come on up
Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I'm working that sat but will try to do Sunday . Mike
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

working?
what's that?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:50 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

We'll see maybe I can have my associate work that day so I can do both days. With Dave and u there(Mooty) -be lotta fun. Mike
Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
We'll see maybe I can have my associate work that day so I can do both days. With Dave and u there(Mooty) -be lotta fun. Mike
fajardo in yellow 911 would be there too!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Garrett, you're a very talented driver. By the way, I have a video with you lapping my GT3 in your Race car 2-3 times in one track session. I enjoyed seeing your car drag racing a factory 2008 GT3 RSR and gaining on him, SICK. Your car is a monster.

By the way, at Streets of Willow the fastest GT3 RS on DOT-R tires (yours) ran a 1:25.xx, the fastest BSR on Toyo R888 ran 1:25xx. I won't say you can easily kick butt on a BSR with a GT3 RS.

I have been driving a GT3 for 5 years so far, so I know my car. Marc drove my GT3 for two sessions yesterday and he is a good driver, no matter what he tried, he could not get away from me driving the BSR. I could pass him on the inside of 9, but he will pass me on the main straight, lap times about the same.

I agree that off the showroom, the 997 GT3 RS, 997 GT2 and 997 GT3 are the most capable Porsche track cars, but a BSR running similar lap times to the 997 GT3 and GT3 RS, and most likely beating a stock 996 GT3 (because it has proven slower than the 997 GT3 RS) is a revelation.

My BSR is way under 2,500 lbs, it actually runs a 50 lbs battery, a 25 lbs ballast, and 1/8 of a fuel tank to be at the 2,700 lbs minimum weight with a 200 lbs driver required for 2008. For 2009 the minimum weight is 2,650 lbs, so my 175 lbs body will require more fuel to make minimum weight.
Hi Rad,

Thanks for the kind words. As I said I agree that the BSR is a great budget race car and maybe I'll just have to build one! However, I think that the 997 GT3RS is faster on the track. I believe that WSIR Streets is a track that gives the advantage to the BSR's and penalizes the heavy RS. That event was the first time I drove an RS on the track at speed and I did so on a street alignment with new full depth Toyo RA1's. I was instructing in the following session in a BSR so I didn't have any time to check my tire pressures until the last session. The car was very loose and when I did finally check pressures I was at 45+ in the rear.

In addition, there were several drivers in BSR's that day that are better, faster drivers than I. Since I will be running my RS at every STS event this year it will be fun to see if I can turn times that are faster than the BSR's or if I simply eat my words.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:55 AM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

So is there a different Porsche series that is going to run the larger displacement engines? Isn't the spec series racing only 2.5 engines right now? Or are you talking about racing Nasa by engine displacement.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pranqster
So is there a different Porsche series that is going to run the larger displacement engines? Isn't the spec series racing only 2.5 engines right now? Or are you talking about racing Nasa by engine displacement.
not in PCA on the spec boxster platform.
but i believe the current box and cay can be raced in "H" (dont quote me on that) in PCA, but those cars are quite a bit heavier than spec box as they retain a lot of the interior.

i would think that as the spec box class gets bigger, eventually 2.7 will be allowed maybe with some wt penalties?

NASA you can run GTS (wt/hp ratio class), or if you put a very large motor 3.6, 3.8 in thse cars, you can run ITE in SCCA. whether it will be competitive or not, i am not sure as i have seen viper comp coupes in ITE!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Yea but that's the first time it's ever happened and even then is was only by 3/10's of a second in the last session. The top 2 Spec Boxes both beat you in the first 3 sessions.

Garrett is a talented driver with great focus. The top 3 Spec Boxes beat up all the RS's consistently on short or long tracks. 201 HP, 2650lbs. w/driver is hard to beat....
Hi John,

Thanks for the compliment!

When I made the comparison I was specifically referring to the 997 GT3RS and not the 996 GT3 or 997 GT3. Also, the 2 drivers that beat me in the previous 2 sessions are great drivers that are probably better than me as are you.

I was so concerned with instructing Roger in his BSR that I was not checking my tire pressures or focusing on my driving. I came in with 45lbs in the rear after my last session. I was running a street alignment with new full depth Toyo RA1's. I know that there is a lot more potential left in the RS and I plan on extracting it. Since I will be running the RS at the STS events this year it will be fun to see how our times compare. It's always fun to have a new challenge!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 PM
grussell
Pro

I have been driving a GT3 for 5 years so far, so I know my car. Marc drove my GT3 for two sessions yesterday and he is a good driver, no matter what he tried, he could not get away from me driving the BSR. I could pass him on the inside of 9, but he will pass me on the main straight, lap times about the same.
Hi Rad,

I would love to see that video as well. What times were you running in the RS at WSIR?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Mooty- good driver- LOL!!!! Jk. Mike
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
Hi Rad,

I would love to see that video as well. What times were you running in the RS at WSIR?
I switched my camcorder from Standard definition to high definition at the track, and my second video didn't show up. That was the video where I saw your car many times (lapping me of course).

In the following video, you can see your car leading the 997 GT3 RSR. The BSR were at full throttle on the main straight, to give you an idea of the speed differential.

This was my first session ever at WSIR, Turn 5 took me by surprise in lap 2 by braking on the off-camber (dumb). These were lead and follow laps with Marc and Quinn.

John's BSR left us in the dust. All these laps were in the 1:46-1:47 range. Later on during the day, with help from Marty, Marc and Quinn, I got to increase my pace driving the BSR. Marc clocked a 1:39 on Traqmate driving my RS, while I was right behind his bumper in the BSR, so I assume I was also running 1:39s.

From everything I have driven on the West Coast, this is the most challenging race track. 3 very high speed turns (2,8,9), off-camber & on-camber turns, bumps, elevation changes. It's going to take me a long time to drive it at a decent pace.

Here is the link to my 1st session video; http://vimeo.com/3343945
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched my camcorder from Standard definition to high definition at the track, and my second video didn't show up. That was the video where I saw your car many times (lapping me of course).

In the following video, you can see your car leading the 997 GT3 RSR. The BSR were at full throttle on the main straight, to give you an idea of the speed differential.

This was my first session ever at WSIR, Turn 5 took me by surprise in lap 2 by braking on the off-camber (dumb). These were lead and follow laps with Marc and Quinn.

John's BSR left us in the dust. All these laps were in the 1:46-1:47 range. Later on during the day, with help from Marty, Marc and Quinn, I got to increase my pace driving the BSR. Marc clocked a 1:39 on Traqmate driving my RS, while I was right behind his bumper in the BSR, so I assume I was also running 1:39s.

From everything I have driven on the West Coast, this is the most challenging race track. 3 very high speed turns (2,8,9), off-camber & on-camber turns, bumps, elevation changes. It's going to take me a long time to drive it at a decent pace.

Here is the link to my 1st session video; http://vimeo.com/3343945
Great video. Nice save at 3:10.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnerd
Great video. Nice save at 3:10.
That's why I insist that autocross is very important. You get to develop fast hands, due to the quick reactions necessary through the entire autocross course. It is also a safe place to drive 10th/10th, or 11th/10th to learn "out of control" car control.

I have saved a spin running out of steering (full lock) at a few autocrosses.

Quick Reply: mooty making some moves in the garage