Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS on 2010 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RMS on 2010 GT3

Hello all - I sent a note to Porsche asking whether they had done anything to try to rectify the numerous complaints regarding the RMS on the GT3. Their answer is below. My experience with 3 911s (6GT3, 6C2, 7C2S) supports their statement regarding driving daily. My 6GT3 and 6C2 were not DD and both had RMS leaks. My 7C2S is a DD and has never had a problem. All were also track cars.
==============

Please be advised that GT3 engines have a design which is unique from other 911’s because of it’s exposure to very high RPM’s. The rear main seal of these engines is held tight by a vacuum created inside the engine block. If the vehicle is not used for prolonged periods of time this vacuum pressure may decrease allowing a small amount of oil to seep past the seal. Due to this special design, oil seepage can occur in GT3 vehicles that are not driven on a regular basis.

Your warranty manual indicates that your a customer's responsibility for normal vehicle use is for the vehicle to be driven daily over a distance of several miles. Your vehicle was designed with the assumption that it would be used within these guidelines. If it is not, you may experience some oil seepage; however, this is not a defect in the vehicle but simply a result of lack of use."

To answer your question directly - ("On Rennlist there are an incredible amount of complaints about RMS leaks on the 997 GT3. What has Porsche done to rectify this situation on the 2010 GT3?" )

Oil seepage is considered normal, as outlined above, and is not a defect. However, the 2010 model year GT3 has a different engine configuration and design than prior model year GT3's, which will further minimize and may completely eliminate seepage that results from lack of use. This is a matter of making design changes and updates, not manufacturing defect corrections.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, they certainly ran that past their attorneys. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:19 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Does this mean the new GT3 has the m97 motor or the original 964 block motor?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this a reply from PCNA or from PAG in Germany??
Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Good info even though I do not have a GT3.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:02 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
According to their website it is "the race proven gt1 motor" so i'd say its the 964 block....

The fix- a big bead of silicone??? They can claim what they like... proof will be in the pudding.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
2010 GT3 = 964 block motor
Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the information.

That reminds me of an old saying, "Oil leak in Porsche is not a problem, but a feature."

Regards,
Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Thumbs down

"the 2010 model year GT3 has a different engine configuration and design than prior model year GT3's, which will further minimize and may completely eliminate seepage that results from lack of use. This is a matter of making design changes and updates, not manufacturing defect corrections."

if 2010 gt3 engines are of 964/gt1 design... then they did admit to design flaw in their statement "This is a matter of making design changes and updates, not manufacturing defect corrections."

am I wrong???
Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS

Your warranty manual indicates that your a customer's responsibility for normal vehicle use is for the vehicle to be driven daily over a distance of several miles.
I'm astonished to read this. My (german) manual says nothing like this. Actually I'd assume that a daily drive over a (short) distance of "several miles" only won't be good for any engine, let alone a high performance engine.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS
Hello all - I sent a note to Porsche asking whether they had done anything to try to rectify the numerous complaints regarding the RMS on the GT3. Their answer is below. My experience with 3 911s (6GT3, 6C2, 7C2S) supports their statement regarding driving daily. My 6GT3 and 6C2 were not DD and both had RMS leaks. My 7C2S is a DD and has never had a problem. All were also track cars.
==============

Please be advised that GT3 engines have a design which is unique from other 911’s because of it’s exposure to very high RPM’s. The rear main seal of these engines is held tight by a vacuum created inside the engine block. If the vehicle is not used for prolonged periods of time this vacuum pressure may decrease allowing a small amount of oil to seep past the seal. Due to this special design, oil seepage can occur in GT3 vehicles that are not driven on a regular basis.

Your warranty manual indicates that your a customer's responsibility for normal vehicle use is for the vehicle to be driven daily over a distance of several miles. Your vehicle was designed with the assumption that it would be used within these guidelines. If it is not, you may experience some oil seepage; however, this is not a defect in the vehicle but simply a result of lack of use."

To answer your question directly - ("On Rennlist there are an incredible amount of complaints about RMS leaks on the 997 GT3. What has Porsche done to rectify this situation on the 2010 GT3?" )

Oil seepage is considered normal, as outlined above, and is not a defect. However, the 2010 model year GT3 has a different engine configuration and design than prior model year GT3's, which will further minimize and may completely eliminate seepage that results from lack of use. This is a matter of making design changes and updates, not manufacturing defect corrections.
I would agree tht their statement was run by the lawyers HOWEVER, my '07 GT3 only leaked right after or during being driven. Shoots down the first statement. Second, page 85 of the owners manual, which they have not changed has a bold faced caution stating that the car should not be driven with a visible oil leak (no amount given) but instead taken to the nearest dealer for service.

By the way in the four months I had a '08 Cayman s, while awaiting my '09 C2S (Porsche bought back the GT3)I put 8600 fun miles on it with no leaks and so far the '09 C2S is dry and a blast to drive. To bad Porsche NA doesn't just come out with a letter saying !. Yes it leaks a little, 2 continue to drive your car assuming the leak doesn't increase and yes your warranty will stay in force ie ignore the caution on page 85 of the owners manual. I think that small and inexpensive step on their part would satisfy the majority of owners. I know if they had sent such an honest letter to me i would still have the Gt3..... well maybe and only if I had not driven the new C2S. I have an '83 Sc as a track car so things are in perspective.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 AM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS

So, what happens if you live in International Falls with 3 feet of snow on the ground?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only speak for my own car, which is driven roughly once in every seven days for the past year-and-a-half. It now has 22,600 km and is completely dry. There are some people here who have similar mileages and are on their third RMS. Unless they are running their car in some bizarre way, there seems to be no good explanation.

In the past when this subject was discussed, I put forth an idea whether or not it has something to do with the way the car has been run-in, but none of the affected owners has picked up on this thought.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:55 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is what you call the "company line"
Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW My RS leaked and then track season started and it got driven a lot, the leak stopped dead.

Quick Reply: RMS on 2010 GT3