Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS on 2010 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 786 Posts

I call it bullcrap.

The little drips they are talking about I do have also and I do drive it very day.

What about the big leakes as in 10" puddles after each run and a completely in oil covered rear end? Is that seepage?? Did not happen to mine, but I have seen it twice on an regularly driven GT3..
Old 02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoT3
then they did admit to design flaw in their statement "This is a matter of making design changes and updates, not manufacturing defect corrections."
Or they removed the one-way check valve on the top of the motor that enables the near-vacuum? If you take a 964/993 engine put a one-way check valve on the crankcase ventilator and use the same type of seal (that supports a vacuum) the RMS will leak after sitting for a while. BTDT -- and was warned it would happen before I tried, by shops that had raced 993 engines with the same type of seal purchased from PMNA in the late nineties...
Old 02-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
FWIW My RS leaked and then track season started and it got driven a lot, the leak stopped dead.
hmm, note-to-self....when I get my GT3, drive the **** out of it.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones
Is this a reply from PCNA or from PAG in Germany??

info.porsche@porsche.us The text said PCNA.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS
Hello all - I sent a note to Porsche asking whether they had done anything to try to rectify the numerous complaints regarding the RMS on the GT3. Their answer is below. My experience with 3 911s (6GT3, 6C2, 7C2S) supports their statement regarding driving daily. My 6GT3 and 6C2 were not DD and both had RMS leaks. My 7C2S is a DD and has never had a problem. All were also track cars.
==============

Please be advised that GT3 engines have a design which is unique from other 911’s because of it’s exposure to very high RPM’s. The rear main seal of these engines is held tight by a vacuum created inside the engine block. If the vehicle is not used for prolonged periods of time this vacuum pressure may decrease allowing a small amount of oil to seep past the seal. Due to this special design, oil seepage can occur in GT3 vehicles that are not driven on a regular basis.

Your warranty manual indicates that your a customer's responsibility for normal vehicle use is for the vehicle to be driven daily over a distance of several miles. Your vehicle was designed with the assumption that it would be used within these guidelines. If it is not, you may experience some oil seepage; however, this is not a defect in the vehicle but simply a result of lack of use."

To answer your question directly - ("On Rennlist there are an incredible amount of complaints about RMS leaks on the 997 GT3. What has Porsche done to rectify this situation on the 2010 GT3?" )

Oil seepage is considered normal, as outlined above, and is not a defect. However, the 2010 model year GT3 has a different engine configuration and design than prior model year GT3's, which will further minimize and may completely eliminate seepage that results from lack of use. This is a matter of making design changes and updates, not manufacturing defect corrections.
I wonder if this is a corporate position (in the US or in Germany.) It reads like something written by an individual who took it upon him- or her-self to say whatever they thought would "deal" with a customer. It doesn't seem particularly helpful or legally defensible.

Originally Posted by Porsche-Jeck
I'm astonished to read this. My (german) manual says nothing like this. Actually I'd assume that a daily drive over a (short) distance of "several miles" only won't be good for any engine, let alone a high performance engine.
There's no debate on this topic -- the cold start and short term operation of an engine is the most part of its wear as components heat and expand. The cling and viscosity of synthetic lubricantss as well as harder and more precisely manufactured reciprocating components all contribute to high compression engines living long lives.

I'm still astonished that Porsche can deliver an 8400 rpm, 415hp normally aspirated engine with a warranty -- this is the stuff of hand-built race engines usually handed over with an assurance of specific power developed, but no assurances of longevity (which would be measured in hours of operation, not miles and years in all conditions with any old fuel thrown in the tank.)

FWIW, I've had two 997 GT3's. Both low milers which stood in the garage for months at a time between track days and rarely working as a daily driver. No leaks. One of them had a squeaky clutch pedal. Both arrived with woeful alignment. The second one had a squeaky front strut. And one day the radio stayed stuck on a single setting. Just pulled the fuse and it reset itself. No other troubles.

I hope they do something to damp the vibrations that reach the rearview mirror -- it's hard to see the police cruisers trying to sneak up and pace me.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:20 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the worse thing about small seepage? Or is this complaint falls along the line of the lack of a traction-control in Carrera GT?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,399 Likes on 642 Posts

my RS never leaks, despite being thrashed heartily and put away for a few weeks at a time while I travel. my cobalt 997 never did either and now the new owner lets it sit for really long periods of time. it could possibly be because the way I broke them in- ran them fairly hard throught the rpms and gears in the first few days- parked them outside in the cold overnight so everything could expand and contract. both saw over 2k miles in less than 14 days of ownership...
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
my RS never leaks, despite being thrashed heartily and put away for a few weeks at a time while I travel. my cobalt 997 never did either and now the new owner lets it sit for really long periods of time. it could possibly be because the way I broke them in- ran them fairly hard throught the rpms and gears in the first few days- parked them outside in the cold overnight so everything could expand and contract. both saw over 2k miles in less than 14 days of ownership...
i give you props for the amazing 2k within 14 days of ownership/break ins.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Way to go CJ... I too plan to eat, sleep and were the facility available-crap (lol!) in my car when it arrives to make up for the years of waiting and saving... And I plan to do it for at least the first fortnight, no matter the discomfort, lol...

Is this break in procedure in line with what porsche recommend? Having never owned, I'm not aware of the break in procedure.

Last edited by 911rox; 02-23-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my car daily, and track it 1-2 times per month. I had a front main seal leak, not the rear one.. Still a leak from the same type of area in my book

I believe we have covered RMS enough in the past that nobody here believes it is purely from a lack of use.

Quick Reply: RMS on 2010 GT3