Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 MKII info from W.Rohrl

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Man, love the paint on your 997 cup!^
Re the 997s comparison, yes I assumed a 997s with a few good options (lsd, etc), no fluff. I think they will both be discounted.....
As far as the gt2, I have been offered three different ones(one rs too) at msrp over the last two months. It's a buyer's market right now for all the GT cars.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I am still betting on PDK being available on the next gen GT3 and RS. The only thing which might stall it is excess demand for PDK in the regular cars. It is possible that ZF has some limitations on quantities it can supply.

Compared to F1 the PDK is a bargain and I am sure it will be a big hit with the Porsche drivers. Yeah, there will be the PDK versus manal threads with much passion on both sides. No reason we should be exempt from that stuff.

As to dealers being greedy, I guess I'm lucky here. None of the 996GT2,s 996 GT3 nor the 997 GT3 and RS were sold over list by either of our local dealers. Maybe it's a Canadian thing?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:09 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I am still betting on PDK being available on the next gen GT3 and RS. The only thing which might stall it is excess demand for PDK in the regular cars. It is possible that ZF has some limitations on quantities it can supply.

Compared to F1 the PDK is a bargain and I am sure it will be a big hit with the Porsche drivers. Yeah, there will be the PDK versus manal threads with much passion on both sides. No reason we should be exempt from that stuff.

As to dealers being greedy, I guess I'm lucky here. None of the 996GT2,s 996 GT3 nor the 997 GT3 and RS were sold over list by either of our local dealers. Maybe it's a Canadian thing?
In most of RoW, the dealers don't screw their customers with big "demand" driven markups, as in most places Porsche has a stake and big influence in the local dealer. The problem in the US is the law that favors and "protects" dealers from car manufacturers (A manufacturer can't have its own network!!)... It sucks, and we as consumers end up paying for this flaw in the system that will continue to be lobbied to death by dealer owners.

Imagine if a regular dealer had to compete with a Porsche owned dealer that sold cars at MSRP all the time? Competition would be based on service and value as in most other industries.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgomez
In most of RoW, the dealers don't screw their customers with big "demand" driven markups, as in most places Porsche has a stake and big influence in the local dealer. The problem in the US is the law that favors and "protects" dealers from car manufacturers (A manufacturer can't have its own network!!)... It sucks, and we as consumers end up paying for this flaw in the system that will continue to be lobbied to death by dealer owners.

Imagine if a regular dealer had to compete with a Porsche owned dealer that sold cars at MSRP all the time? Competition would be based on service and value as in most other industries.
having seen "factory" dealerships in other industries i think it a two edged sword. be careful what you wish for!

ideally it would be open to both tird-party and factory dealerships. but in fact, the factory stores enjoy a huge pricig advantage as well as other more covert forms of favoritism
Old 11-12-2008, 12:37 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Man, love the paint on your 997 cup!^
Re the 997s comparison, yes I assumed a 997s with a few good options (lsd, etc), no fluff. I think they will both be discounted.....
As far as the gt2, I have been offered three different ones(one rs too) at msrp over the last two months. It's a buyer's market right now for all the GT cars.
glad you like, here's a few more;

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=17
Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Speaking from the UK, I always find it amazing that US dealers do this business of hiking up the prices. We are a nation of non-complainers, but they wouldn't get away with it here I'm sure.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,983 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Speaking from the UK, I always find it amazing that US dealers do this business of hiking up the prices. We are a nation of non-complainers, but they wouldn't get away with it here I'm sure.
Understood, but isn't it true that in Europe and UK, it is rare to be offered significant discounts below sticker prices too (when times are tough)?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:34 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Understood, but isn't it true that in Europe and UK, it is rare to be offered significant discounts below sticker prices too (when times are tough)?
Not only that, but I thought the UK was perpetually screwed by Porsche with some of the highest prices anywhere...
Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mjb
Not only that, but I thought the UK was perpetually screwed by Porsche with some of the highest prices anywhere...
We are and until the last 2 months no discounts ever. Additionally we don't have the right to order a car and once spec'd change our minds and cancel which I believe you do in the US? I guess thats the situation where the dealer gets screwed!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:20 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

The dealers get away with whatever the public allows them to...it does take two for a dealer to sell anything for over MSRP..

As for the MkII GT3/RS, I wish Porsche would get it right...450+BHP and 7 gears...6 real good gears for road courses and a seventh for fuel economy...get to 175-180 as quickly as possible!!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Audi R8 / R10, Lambo and Ferrari use single-clutch systems, not double clutch. Ferrari and Audi use double clutch systems on their less performance-oriented cars where weight matters less. I just can't see Porsche adding 80 lbs to the RS by means of PDK. Kinda defeats the purpose of the lighter RS.
PDK is 66lbs and the performance of it makes up for the weight.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink ...

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
And that's ignoring DFI which, conservatively, should add another 5 - 7 percent, making a total of around 460 hp.
IMO, it is not the maximum HP that matters, it is the area under the curve that matters and makes the car faster. We all should wait and see the graph.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,983 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
IMO, it is not the maximum HP that matters, it is the area under the curve that matters and makes the car faster.
They both matter
Old 11-12-2008, 07:27 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Exclamation ...

Originally Posted by mooty
i think a lot of dealers will be paying. i just helped two RS owners (RS, not GT3) sold their cars. both paid WAY OVER, i do mean WAY OVER for the RS. and the selling dealer wont even take them back at msrp. THAT will sure leave a sour taste in those customers mouth.
No worries... the federal government to bail them out? So that the Porsche market is "stimulated"?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard that in Europe you can walk into any Ferrari Dealer can get a 430.
Whereas here there was no way to get one without being bent over and going over and
through hoops

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 MKII info from W.Rohrl