997 GT3 MKII info from W.Rohrl

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,661 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Calgary I hope not but still I remember very well and it may just keep me from another Pcar.
I actually hope they (dealers) suffer abit to pay for the stuff they did last time.
I hope those that had to pay over and especially the ones who were loyal customers
remember.
i think a lot of dealers will be paying. i just helped two RS owners (RS, not GT3) sold their cars. both paid WAY OVER, i do mean WAY OVER for the RS. and the selling dealer wont even take them back at msrp. THAT will sure leave a sour taste in those customers mouth.

there are smart dealers with view for the long term and there are part timers who cares about the commission this month. most customers only get reamed once. then they learn and stay away from the short sighted sales ppl
Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think a nicely setup/optioned 997.2S might just be a real bargain, essentially the same car as the new mk2 gt3, back seat, waaay less cash, hmmmm.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:35 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,983 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think a nicely setup/optioned 997.2S might just be a real bargain, essentially the same car as the new mk2 gt3, back seat, waaay less cash, hmmmm.
But a loaded C2S has never stickered for way less cash than a GT3 (unless by "nicely setup/optioned" you mean very lightly optioned)...
Old 11-12-2008, 12:53 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrantG
But a loaded C2S has never stickered for way less cash than a GT3 (unless by "nicely setup/optioned" you mean very lightly optioned)...
I've got one on order with carbon buckets, sport pasm, and a few other goodies for about $25k less than you could get a 997.2 GT3 (assuming only a 3-4% increase, and assuming you can get one at MSRP). That, plus a new exhaust, should hold me quite nicely until the 991 GT3 is announced...
Old 11-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
...both paid WAY OVER...and the selling dealer wont even take them back at msrp. THAT will sure leave a sour taste in those customers mouth.
Why should the dealer pay significantly more now for a used car than they did 1-2 years ago when it was new? Pure stupidity of these people to think they would see any of the premium paid for those cars...if they blame the dealers, they simply have no sense of personal responsibility.

Simple supply/demand...dealers sell cars at what the market will bear, be it over or under MSRP. They can't be faulted for that...
Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,661 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Why should the dealer pay significantly more now for a used car than they did 1-2 years ago when it was new? Pure stupidity of these people to think they would see any of the premium paid for those cars...if they blame the dealers, they simply have no sense of personal responsibility.

Simple supply/demand...dealers sell cars at what the market will bear, be it over or under MSRP. They can't be faulted for that...

I do see your point, however, you are not privy to the "agreements" in these particular deals. let's just say some promises were broken rather underhandedly.

other than that, i agree, that we as consumers shouldn't pay over for a car. just wait for it.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy

Gotta admit most of this sourness comes from the shenanagins the dealers pulled last time. I still have a VERY sour attitude after what PCNA did to the Porsche faithful last time. Pulling cars from customers to flip them and make the $50k over MSRP. I still think about that every time I see a thread for the New
GT3 and RS.
You're not alone. Staying loyal to a car brand showed me no value.

I tried to buy a new RS, my first call to my preferred dealer, no luck. Then the local ones, no luck. Then tried everything else, no luck. Later I tried an used RS, no luck either other than $40k or more over MSRP. I gave up, this was 1 year ago. I tried the same with the GT2, same results.

It was disappointing to see RS and GT2 being flipped, when I was not given the chance to buy one to my specs.

My loyalty meant Zero to Porsche.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by am722
I've got one on order with carbon buckets, sport pasm, and a few other goodies for about $25k less than you could get a 997.2 GT3 (assuming only a 3-4% increase, and assuming you can get one at MSRP). That, plus a new exhaust, should hold me quite nicely until the 991 GT3 is announced...
Sounds like a nice car! Are you including a discount you rec'd on the order? Otherwise, I'm surprised that it's $25k less than a GT3...
Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 AM
am722
Drifting

Sounds like a nice car! Are you including a discount you rec'd on the order? Otherwise, I'm surprised that it's $25k less than a GT3...
Yes, that includes the discount. I'm assuming a base 997.2 GT3 will go for around 113-115 MSRP, and I'm getting mine for 88-89 (MSRP of about 95).
Old 11-12-2008, 06:28 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, that includes the discount. I'm assuming a base 997.2 GT3 will go for around 113-115 MSRP, and I'm getting mine for 88-89 (MSRP of about 95).
OK, that makes sense. That deal is certainly much more attractive than MSRP vs. MSRP!

At $95k vs. $113k, the choice would be a bit closer (about the price differential of a 997 vs. 997 with X51 and paint to sample)...

Last edited by GrantG; 11-12-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
The RS will have same engine as regular GT3. Use widebody, save 40 lbs, put on some fancy decals and charge $25-30K more!
You're talking about the 997 GT3 RS Mk1 right?

I hope this time they will spend more efford on the Mk2.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

That, plus a new exhaust, should hold me quite nicely until the 991 GT3 is announced...
Why wait for the 991 if you think the price is not worth it?

The 991 GT3/RS will also based on the same engine as the 997 GT3/RS Mk2.

And they will repeat the same thing again.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

This is the homologation model, so the racecars and this model should share the same motor. Some have said racecars (GT3 Cup and RSR) will use A91 while others contend a holdover from the GT1/964 motors...
They are not going to use the GT1 block on their racecars, so upgraded A91 for all in the future.

As the body kit, they gonna put the RS wing on the GT3 and I hope they will put the Cup S body kit on the GT3 RS.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 AM
dan360
Advanced

Been away from rennlist for a while, but a few comments:

In response to a comment here about single clutch F1, Ferrari is moving to dual clutch - the new California has a 7 speed dual clutch gearbox, essentially shared with the gearbox technology in the new M3. Not sure what we'll see on the 430 replacement, but it seems likely that they'd re-use that technology.

Rennlist will no doubt now be like F-chat with perennial tedious "F1 vs 6 Speed" threads, with die hard, "manual are more involving" vs die hard "I want the most modern, fastest" . I steer clear of those threads myself, but I do think Porsche is missing a serious trick by not having PDK on the 3 and RS. I would however ditch the lame steering wheel mounted buttons, what on earth is wrong with the paddles that everyone else uses.

The rumors are that the Cup cars will go PDK, Grand Am is certainly in the process of permitting a Ferrari with a full F1 gearbox run in its GT class, so I'd imagine there will be racer demand for it. Its much less easy to break an F1 gearbox than the sequential in the GT3 race car.

And on flippers/premium, it all depends on the dealer, people whine in the Ferrari world about not being able to buy a car at all, but mostly if you are loyal and buy lots of cars, you get to buy more cars. They of course introduced the right of first refusal contracts which plenty of people whined about. I've personally bought several cars and sold them back to the dealer at MSRP when I could have privately sold them for plenty more. My 599 was in fact stickered at 354 and sold by them at 475 at the peak of the market (I didn't like it very much and bought a 612 which I much prefer - financial suicide I know, but there you go). That means I'm in pole position to get the new Scud Spider.

No such thing in the P-car world, and the dealer that I've bought several cars from flaked on my GT2 order and then rather amusingly last week offered me a GT2 (slightly used) for 15K over MSRP. I was perhaps rather "blunt" with him in my "what are you smoking" type response
Old 11-12-2008, 10:44 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
You're not alone. Staying loyal to a car brand showed me no value.

I tried to buy a new RS, my first call to my preferred dealer, no luck. Then the local ones, no luck. Then tried everything else, no luck. Later I tried an used RS, no luck either other than $40k or more over MSRP. I gave up, this was 1 year ago. I tried the same with the GT2, same results.

It was disappointing to see RS and GT2 being flipped, when I was not given the chance to buy one to my specs.

My loyalty meant Zero to Porsche.
I have now had two dealers call me to see if I wanted a brand new GT2 @ MSRP. PCNA has cut US production schedules, but unless they cut it in half it won't change things.

Whatever you want, just be patient, it will come to you.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 MKII info from W.Rohrl