Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

o.k. it's official: gt3 Mk2 will get carrera based DI engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:20 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did it occur to anyone that the new motor may solve the RMS issue? Yeah, that's what I thought!

TOTALLY question for lief997

OK, this is off topic since I am addressing a member who just posted and want an answer.............now! Please.

Mr. leif997, I have noticed this before in your sig (nice cars btw) and it is killing me not to comment; please forgive me. For this car in your stable:

2007 GT3 RS (sick machine! ) Full Euro ClubSport package minus the plastic rear window. Orange,black, PCCB's, Xenons, AC delete

Did you order this RS or come upon it with those options? Because, how in the heck can you have Xenons and also AC delete on the same car, especially an RS? What in god's name is everyone's infatuation with those damned Xenon headlights? They make no sense on a car speced out like that, and IMO don't even belong on a GT3 of any variety. You even have the weight saving PCCB's. The Xenons just ruined what could have been a perfect RS. I would have taken AC long before the Xenons if anything. Do you drive it on the street often? Do you use it at night during the summer on dates and make you and your date sweat, but at least you can see a little bit better? Seems like it is more of a track car; do Cup cars come with Xenons? I'm just very, very confused.

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes. Xenons is just one of my most hated Porsche options for several reasons, but I can understand having them on a Camry or a Turbo, but not on a GT3.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Did it occur to anyone that the new motor may solve the RMS issue? Yeah, that's what I thought!

TOTALLY question for lief997

OK, this is off topic since I am addressing a member who just posted and want an answer.............now! Please.

Mr. leif997, I have noticed this before in your sig (nice cars btw) and it is killing me not to comment; please forgive me. For this car in your stable:

2007 GT3 RS (sick machine! ) Full Euro ClubSport package minus the plastic rear window. Orange,black, PCCB's, Xenons, AC delete

Did you order this RS or come upon it with those options? Because, how in the heck can you have Xenons and also AC delete on the same car, especially an RS? What in god's name is everyone's infatuation with those damned Xenon headlights? They make no sense on a car speced out like that, and IMO don't even belong on a GT3 of any variety. You even have the weight saving PCCB's. The Xenons just ruined what could have been a perfect RS. I would have taken AC long before the Xenons if anything. Do you drive it on the street often? Do you use it at night during the summer on dates and make you and your date sweat, but at least you can see a little bit better? Seems like it is more of a track car; do Cup cars come with Xenons? I'm just very, very confused.

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes. Xenons is just one of my most hated Porsche options for several reasons, but I can understand having them on a Camry or a Turbo, but not on a GT3.

yeah,I ordered it like that and I know the xenons don't fit the equation, but the simple truth is I really have sh*tty night vision ..(this is one reason I do not do enduros at night and never signed up with a team to try the 24 hours of Daytona)...it was a compromise and yeah, I like to drive at night since there is less traffic around here and I have a few loops that I like to really rip on and there are NO police around so I get my jollies like that.....they really do make a difference to my vision and if you want; I will swap them out for halogens or just clear lenses if it would make you happy just for the sig
Old 07-20-2008, 09:57 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

340: What's with the beef with zenon?? Is not seeing better at night a good thing ?? I suspect they will cease being optional in the not too distant future, say 2009.

Jack
Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I NEED xenons.
even with those lights, at 5am i still drove over curbs and parking islands searching for donuts. imagine without xenon!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:45 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

You mistake them for berms!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:52 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by leif997
yeah,I ordered it like that and I know the xenons don't fit the equation, but the simple truth is I really have sh*tty night vision ..(this is one reason I do not do enduros at night and never signed up with a team to try the 24 hours of Daytona)...it was a compromise and yeah, I like to drive at night since there is less traffic around here and I have a few loops that I like to really rip on and there are NO police around so I get my jollies like that.....they really do make a difference to my vision and if you want; I will swap them out for halogens or just clear lenses if it would make you happy just for the sig

That is a good reason, sorry. And thanks for the humor at the end, that really made me laugh.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by pedsurg
340: What's with the beef with zenon?? Is not seeing better at night a good thing ?? I suspect they will cease being optional in the not too distant future, say 2009.

Jack

Yes, it is, and I know that they are making them standard on the 2009's; thanks for rubbing it in!

I have several reasons, but one of the most annoying for me is that Porsche makes you get the headlight washers if you get the Xenon's. Now if that is mandated, then they can't help it, but I don't believe it is.

I just like to keep things simple on my cars and as light as possible (then I need Xenon's if I want it as light as possible; te he ). So if you get the Bi-Xenons, then you also get the motors to make sure they do not blind anyone, then there are sensors on the car to tell the motors what to do (how level the car is at the time), then I believe there are balasts as part of the high intensity lights, and then finally the darn washers that pop up and have plumbing for the washer fluid and the motors and jets and connection to inside the cabin of the car.

I can't stand that and it takes away from the purity and simplicity of what my version of a car should be. Naturally, this explains my infatuation with the new Lotus cars, from 2005 and on. I can actually work on them easily and they are easy to figure out. I just like that.

But of course it is important that you can see at night and I realize that not everyone's vision is the same.

If they just got rid of the washers, and made them an option, then I would be much happier and would actually consider ordering them myself.

Another side to them is that they can be annoying to other drivers, but that probably is not the case with a low car like the 911 and Porsche obviously cared enough to address this aspect with the self leveling function.

I would like to know if anyone has ever used the headlight washers out of need other than to play with them?

Oh, almost forgot. The final annoyance, going back to the washers, is that they put holes in the bumper bacause of them and they look silly. Again, less pure and simple and not as clean a design.

It's mostly the washers and I just realized that I have an extra front bumper in Carrera White that I bought which also does not have the holes. So if I had them, I could actually rip out the nipples and replace the front bumper. I bet I would be a trend setter! I might even become famous! I'm sure someone has already done this; oh well....it was glory for me, even if just for a few seconds.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:16 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by earlyapex
You mistake them for berms!
Eric,

Your car is awesome! Normally I would have never noticed a Porsche older than about a 2005 model. But now that I started to collect Minichamps cars, I have a great appreciation for the older 911's and love what they used to do with their colors. I guess they are doing it again with the new RS's, but most Porsches today are really lame colors.

Beautiful car!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:52 AM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, at least the Xenons put their considerable weight over the front axle.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TTRob

Old 07-21-2008, 09:17 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by TTRob

I never thought of that; good point!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The article mentions DI...did anyone stop to consider that it could be just the DI that it shares with the Carrera engine? This is the exact same speculation that started when the last GT3 was being introduced...I'll believe it when I see it on an ALMS or FIA-GT Porsche...and if it is on those cars it'll be a great engine i'm sure. Old is not always better!!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Look at the air cooled guys that think they can still beat the 997 GT3 haha

I have a 2010 on order, I don't believe Porsche will disappoint us with the GT3 class of car. Perhaps with the base carrera they may take some strength out, but they would lose a LOT of market share if they upset the GT3/GT3RS owners because there are other cars that are close to being competitive.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
The article mentions DI...did anyone stop to consider that it could be just the DI that it shares with the Carrera engine? This is the exact same speculation that started when the last GT3 was being introduced...I'll believe it when I see it on an ALMS or FIA-GT Porsche...and if it is on those cars it'll be a great engine i'm sure. Old is not always better!!
glad that an airhead said that... i mean air cooled enthusiast

i agree old isn't always better, and i believe that the new motor, wet/dry or DI/3.8/4.0/3.6/PDK whatever will be a great motor.

personally i just dont trust the germans to get it right the first time around. i'll get in line for the next enhancement, whatever the motor may be.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian S
Look at the air cooled guys that think they can still beat the 997 GT3 haha

As far as I know, no 997 cup or RSR has beaten Chris Cervelli's 993RSR 1:44 lap at TWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4m0EKKveX4

Quick Reply: o.k. it's official: gt3 Mk2 will get carrera based DI engine