Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GTR just got a bit quicker

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/08/n...tun-observers/
Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree on the hype portion! I think magazines are definitely doing their part on building it up..

However, don't agree on the "mission" part of the comment. The GT-R was never designed to compete w/ GT3. The goal for GT-R was to delivery supercar performance to average driver. (that's the quote from the chief engineer of the GT-R program) In that sense, it is a home-run, w/ all the gadgets that allows regular Joe to drive like a super hero!

It was compared to GT-3 only by the car magazines.. AWD vs. RWD, $70k vs. $120k, 3100 lbs vs. 3800 lbs?! Don't think you'd normally compare these 2 together, BUT, the magazines do that.

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I know how easy it is to take away from the original mission and get lost in gadgets The GT-R in my opinion has lost sight of the mission more than the Porsche.
And thats My 2 cents.
I dont hate the car but I am growing tired of the hype and now its coming out that *some* of the hype is just that, hype
Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't quite understand why we are being so insecure about our cars?! The GT3 is an amazing car, and so is the GTR. It's like a person's wife, just because she is stunningly beautiful doesn't mean that there can't be other women who are equally beautiful.

Give the GTR some respect, it's an amazing car with a transmission that is years ahead of what we have in Porsche land. For those that can't understand why the GTR can accelerate as hard as a lighter car with the same HP, look at that transmission and compare the shifting time to a manually driven 6-speed. I've seen myself shift between 0.5 and 1.0 sec with my datalogger so anything below that will gain an advantage.

The GTR is an amazing car and the more amazing cars we have on the road, the better and more interesting our lives become! Why would anyone want less alternatives???
Old 04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no desire to own one, but I welcome the inflated numbers, the hysteria, and the comparison tests. The worst-case scenario is that Porsche ignores the GTR and continues progressing at its own pace, which would be totally fine with me. The best-case scenario? Porsche sees it as a challenge and the 991 series, particularly the GT3, makes everybody remember that Corvettes and GTRs are made by truck companies.

Last edited by am722; 04-09-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I can't quite understand why we are being so insecure about our cars?! The GT3 is an amazing car, and so is the GTR. It's like a person's wife, just because she is stunningly beautiful doesn't mean that there can't be other women who are equally beautiful.

Give the GTR some respect, it's an amazing car with a transmission that is years ahead of what we have in Porsche land. For those that can't understand why the GTR can accelerate as hard as a lighter car with the same HP, look at that transmission and compare the shifting time to a manually driven 6-speed. I've seen myself shift between 0.5 and 1.0 sec with my datalogger so anything below that will gain an advantage.

The GTR is an amazing car and the more amazing cars we have on the road, the better and more interesting our lives become! Why would anyone want less alternatives???
This is the best post I've read out of all these GT-R posts.

I don't understand why us Porsche owners become so defensive against the GT-R even BEFORE we have a test drive with it?

We all know that the GT3 is underpowered no matter how "relatively" light it is. Straight line performance it will never beat a GT-R so get over that.
I won't even trade my clube coupe in for a GT3. Don't ask me whether I've driven one as I haven't. But I'm making this comment based on magazine reading, which is exactly the same as you guys against the GT-R, so I don't even need my flame suit on.

The target of GT-R has always been the 997TT and it is not a secret. Even if the GT-R can just MATCH the 997TT that is great achievement by Nissan at its price point.

Don't even mention 997GT2 as its competitor will be the V spec GT-R.

I am a true Porsche fan, but I also welcome competition. I will always have Porsche in my garage but I don't mind adding other good cars. Remember that they can all co-exist in one garage and become good friends, and not necessarily competitors. Your lives will be happier if you become a car lover but not a car hater. Amen.

Last edited by Targa Tim; 04-09-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:19 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Tim its not that we are haters but come on, Every mag I got this month had it on the cover with more superlatives than A NFL color announcer. It just gets tiring.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Tim its not that we are haters but come on, Every mag I got this month had it on the cover with more superlatives than A NFL color announcer. It just gets tiring.
That's how the magazines get their sales.

Don't worry OldGuy, you got one of the greatest road and track car in a classic timeless suite and that's all that matter.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Tim!!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kingkyle
Humm...everyone is using carbon composit brakes, eh?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I have a funny feeling that the GT-R provide to the press was "breathed on" and has more power than the ones for sale. This was the same story with the Ford GT - and someone finally admitted it about a year later. The Nissan is a neat car. I am not upset about the press it gets. think back to the Ford GT a true wonder-car. Then the truth about suspension weakness, sleeves added to faulty drive-trains etc. time will tell. The Nissan has one big edge, it is relatively cheap compared to the cars it is compared with. Price is not the sole measure of a car, nor is any one performance statistic.

best,
Old 04-09-2008, 07:36 PM
dagor6
Advanced

You have to keep in mind that the GT-R is and will be a car for techies. One of the coolest features to the whole car is the computer system. Believe it or not techies buy cars and this is a techie car.

Anybody ever heard for the bay area PPS index?????

As for power, let's get real. It's 10K for exhausts on P-cars. I put a chip in my 335 for 1,400 bucks and it picked up like 80 rwhp. The GT-R is going to be the same, throw in a chip for 1,500 bucks and it's making 600 hp.

I would think most of the people here are driving enthusiasts and most don't even seem to want paddle shifters. This car was made for a different group of guys.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default History dictates greatness

Originally Posted by richk
The bottom line is this...I don't care how fast this Nissan is!!! I don't care how fast this Nissan laps Buttonwillow with Steve Millen behind the wheel!!!

There is something so INCREDIBLY special about a 911 Porsche...there is not a car on planet earth that I would trade for my RS!!!
History dictates greatness lets judge the GTR in 30 years if its still around. Call me what ever you wish but the car experience is more than 0 to 60. I am an active member of the Porsche club, the total experience is important too. Why don't we talk about the Bugatti if we are going to talk amazing. Oh ya no one can afford it.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That GT-R in the auto blog thing was some hot rod version victory or some version? supposedly around 110-120k and all of a sudden the GT-R is losing some of its 4000 pound charm.

Frank another good comment. its the community not just the car.
But in the Nissan Club you can hand with the Sentra dudes with the coffee can exhausts.

jk
Old 04-10-2008, 12:40 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

OldGuy, it's just been reported that the GTR leaps tall buildings in a single bound, permanently cures dandruff and will allow its owner to retire to a life of leisure within 6 months of purchase.

Details at 11...
Old 04-10-2008, 01:49 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Triode. I was wondering when to give up, I think its official now. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: The GT-R truth getting abit more true