Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Gt3RS , ceramics no longer available?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:27 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gt3RS , ceramics no longer available?

Someone told me something wild earlier which i thought i'd toss up here. Was speaking to a nice fellow that came to check out the cars yesterday. Very knowledge about the RS's,etc. (if he wants to chime in up here, feel free).

I was pointing him in the direction of a dealer who had an 08 gt3RS allocation available for $X over MSRP (X being a nice figure<G>). Supposedly build sheets shortly, but still able to spec however you see fit , a to Z. i had come super close to going that route 4 weeks ago but eventually found what i liked in the 07 model, and unfortunately, patience aint one of my strong suites.

Anyway, we were talking today about a few options he was considering, he was asking my opinion, and i asked about how it went with the 08 allocation discussion. he said he was told by the dealer,still available, but the PCCB Ceramics were NO LONGER AVAILABLE for future builds of the GT3s and GT3RSs. i was like, what? guy must be mistaken and bullcrapping you. he said, nope, the guy swore up and down that Porsche needed all the pieces/parts to spec ou the GT2 builds. i guess they are short on parts, or whatever.
i have no real idea.
both he and i , and probably EVERYONE would agree that if thats the case, thats wildly uncool. PCCBs are historically one of the most sought after options on these cars. and functional. i mean, its not like giving up painted centers.

anyway, anyone know more about this? whether that story is right wrong or somewhere in between?
anyone know more on the topic?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

This has been talked about already Yes->NO PCCBs for 08 the only thing we could figure is that Porsche is putting all the PCCBs on worldwide GT2 production since they are stock on GT2.
Prolly since GT3s stop production in 3 months they cant do both with PCCBs
GT2s and GT3s
Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

time for Porsche to fire someone in their parts sourcing area. those things are EXPENSIVE little buggers, almost some 13% of the RS price. granted you MUST put them on a 180k gt2, but its a great way to bump up 140k cars to 148.

is it all 08 cars, or just some after a date? i could swear mckenna said they had an o8 with an early build date that HAD pccbs. who knows.

kind of wild don't u think? u think that devalues the 08s at all? everyone talks about buying the 08s...but i might suggest that the pccbs are one of those important bullets on these cars...

Old Guy? how old is old?

Originally Posted by OldGuy
This has been talked about already Yes->NO PCCBs for 08 the only thing we could figure is that Porsche is putting all the PCCBs on worldwide GT2 production since they are stock on GT2.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well Steve its a moot point afterwards really- because GT3 production stop in 80 days- so after that any talk of the GT3s have PCCBs is not relevant. I would assume that TTS and regular 911 will be able to get PCCBs in late 08 -Mar-jun builds and 09 certainly.
Old is anything over 20 to a mountain bike racer.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:46 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 RS just went into production, PCCB's were included on the proforma invoice. Have not heard anything from my dealer, car is supposed to be at the dealership in about 8 weeks.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:54 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgreco
My 08 RS just went into production, PCCB's were included on the proforma invoice. Have not heard anything from my dealer, car is supposed to be at the dealership in about 8 weeks.
Ditto here on my GT3, with MFGCNF order status, as of 8/14.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

I thought the shortage of PCCBs only affected the last few 07 GT3/RS. Then PCCBs were supposed to be available on the 08s.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Hanz
Intermediate

My 08 GT3 was completed 9/3 and the dealer told me today that it got on the boat 9/6. Ordered with PCCBs.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

i passed on an 08 allocation because when we went to get the OK on the build sheets, i was told no PCCBs. i couldnt get a straight answer and it wasnt life or death and i found what i wanted inan 07, in country, to me shortly thereafter.

I mean how difficult is it to build that stuff? what particular part is causing the issue? i mean, increase the option price to 10k and for 2k more, you'd think the outsourced partner could whomp out a measly 50, 60 units.

which begs another ceramics related question: being totally unfamiliar with the full extent of the technology, i was also interested to learn that its not just the rotors or pads, etc. but the entire system. i was curiosu what the cost would be to upgrade a non-pccb RS to pccbs and the dude was like 25k, its an entirely monsterous project. i really dont know.

has anyone ever seen a situation where a spec'd car, which shows option X on the 'pro forma' invoice, come s in without that option? can they do that?
maybe its all just misinformation....i couldnt imagine porsche entering into sales agreements, build sheets and proforma stuff, showing option X and then not delivering...without advance notice or chance for buyer to back out.
they might be have goofed in not estimating demand for the RS, their production numbers of RS's and demand for PCCBs, but they are not a schlock business.

i would have to imagine if you have a buld sheet, invoice showing PCCBs and the order is accepted, in build status, maybe you're ok. i just know that i was going to wokr on the build sheets and stopped because i was told by th dealer and a regional north america rep that no how, no way, no dollar mount, could i get pccbs. might be worth that extra call to the dealer. get them to confirm , in email, you have PCCBs. if later issues come up, you'll have options.

Originally Posted by n2cars
I thought the shortage of PCCBs only affected the last few 07 GT3/RS. Then PCCBs were supposed to be available on the 08s.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:42 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=spg993tt;4561955 ...... but the PCCB Ceramics were NO LONGER AVAILABLE for future builds of the GT3s and GT3RSs......[/QUOTE]

POPPYCOCK!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
because GT3 production stop in 80 days- .
Paul --- J,M and J, where have I been? is this true? they're stopping making GT3's?

did Ferrari buy them?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Wait a minute...no painted center caps? This may be big.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Watt 08 GT3s stop production in Nov/Dec 07 no more after that
with 100 Base GT3s and 60 RS you can see why.
I have no clue why though
Old 09-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I specced my 08 RS in June for an August build. PCCBs were not available at the time of order. I told my dealer to add them if they could. My dealer made some calls and got them added.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

yeah, i suffered the snooze and lose theory. but i'm glad you got them.
they are very cool and a definate top option.

Originally Posted by Jon70
I specced my 08 RS in June for an August build. PCCBs were not available at the time of order. I told my dealer to add them if they could. My dealer made some calls and got them added.

Quick Reply: Gt3RS , ceramics no longer available?