Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Gt3RS , ceramics no longer available?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 144 Posts

I'll eat my words if that car is sold for under MSRP.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a set of rotors and pads I will be selling. They will be on ebay soon should noone here want them.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:47 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there is a band with your name, saw them as an opening act in Palm Springs last year.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'll eat my words if that car is sold for under MSRP.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:56 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Bob, while I tend to hang on every word you write for the usual great technical content I have to disagree with you too, because a friend of mine 4Curves on RL an instructor in the POC here in SoCal and now a CupCar driver had a gen I GT3 with PCCbs and immediately changed pad to the CGT pads. He has many many track miles on his GT3 and has no problems. He probably does the 40-60 days easy. His wife now tracks the GT3 and is there every weekend he is.
I do agree with you that if I had the luxury of tracking as much as you do I would think about replacing with iron to keep the PCCBs for the next owner of my car (IF I sell it) but with my conservative schedule of 5-10 days (if my back will cooperate) I dont worry about the PCCBs.
Thanks for all your input.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:57 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I have thought about this myself, if deciding to track the car heavily for the season, and you want to remove the ceramics and store or save them. What other parts need to be changed on the braking system besides pads?

1. Calipers can the yellows be used with steel?
2. Hydraylic system is it the same pressures bias etc?
3. ABS does changing effect the hardware/software?

Originally Posted by Colm
If the ceramics show any signs of distress (I doubt the wear is instant, and is more of a gradual process), you can always take them off and put on the steel rotors. At $300 per corner that is cheap upside compared to the hit you'll take trying to sell GT3 without the ceramics.

In other words, its cheaper to buy the ceramics and replace them with steel if you are concerned about heavy track usuage (hard core?), that way you have the potential for the best of both worlds. If you want to add ceramics later...good luck!

One thing I don't understand though is the issue regarding track costs. If I am a "hard core" user then I am mentally risking the whole car on track, say $122K. If I add the ceramics (for their benefits) I am risking $130K....not a great difference!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please tell me where to get replacement steel rotors for $300. I just paid $558. each. I have been told (by Stephan Tisseront) that there is a cheaper alternative but not for the dealer supplied replacements. I have also heard that the 2007 Touareg rotor may fit but this remains to be proved and I do not know if the metallurgy is the same.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:22 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

Who has steel replacements for the 997 RS with PCCB?
I am trying to get confirmation on what fits? I have taken some measurements to give to Austin at TRG to see if the 997 Cup rotors will fit.
Anyone have a definitive answer as to what works?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
Please tell me where to get replacement steel rotors for $300. I just paid $558. each. I have been told (by Stephan Tisseront) that there is a cheaper alternative but not for the dealer supplied replacements. I have also heard that the 2007 Touareg rotor may fit but this remains to be proved and I do not know if the metallurgy is the same.

chk PM
Old 09-18-2007, 04:19 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking at the 997 Cup and whistling 'some dogs do, some dogs don't, some dogs have ceramic rotors, some dogs dont''

the answer my friend is blowing in the wind - and its, 'get thee to a nunnery' as the racing department is known at moments of stress.

R+C
Old 09-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Oldguy - thanks for the flowers! The experience here with Gen 1 ceramics was different. In our instructor group there were 2 996 GT2s (mine was one) and a half dozen 996GT3s. Three cars had gen 1 ceramics. All three suffered failures and had to replace the rotors. At the time, in Canadian dollars the set of four cost 50,000 dollars! We all replaced with iron rotors from motorsport.

I am confident that the gen II ceramics are much improved. They seem to be standing up far better. Still, rotors wear out. It's normal. With price differential of 20 times, it is unlikely that the ceramics will outlast their iron counterparts by a factor of 20. I think Colm has the right idea, use iron rotors for track. The Gen 1 rotors were a simple swap especially after the 997 cup car came out. Using the 997 cup rotors in back and GT3 iron in front you just swapped rotors and pads - the calipers did not need to be changed. I haven't investigated the Gen II system. Perhaps it is easy. In any case, if you don't track the car hard and heavy there is nothing to worry about it seems.

Aside to Colm - yes we put an expensive car at risk. On the other hand I don't intend to crash, but I will have to replace my rotors no matter what. FWIW, using RS 19 pads, my rotors have gone 30 odd track days without dying of cracks (the failure mode on the 996GT3). The much improved cooling on the 997 seems to preserve the rotors. This is significant because experts opined that Gen I ceramics died from excess heat. That bodes well for the Gen II rotors.

Best
Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Bob, have you noticed something peculiar on the track, the brake dust seems to get blown out of the wheels and at the end of a hard day at the track, my steel brakes had little to no brake dust on the wheels! Driving uptown from downtown on the street seems to leave more brake dust on the wheels than an entire day at the track did.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Yes, I have noticed that the wheels stay cleaner on the 997Gt3 than on the 996. I assume it is a result of the better airflow.

Best,
Old 09-20-2007, 08:58 PM
jrok
Racer

One of my track mates just changed his PCCB's back to iron after incurring some $14k in costs so far this track season. 2 re-man rotors and several sets of pads. We do about 50 days a year. We warned him that he was crazy for ordering them as much as we track. Iron rotors with SS lines, SRF and RS19/29's don't exactly suck when compared to OEM PCCB's. He says he like's the feel better now and noticed no real difference in braking performance. There is the weight and heat dissipation but now he pays $768 vs $2000 for pads and $350 vs $5600 for rotors. He's much happier and so is his wife.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Max Power
Racer

I searched for the original thread talking about how PCCBs were not going to be available for many or most 2008 GT3 RS customers, but could only find this thread.

There are 44 listed in the registry (2008 GT3 RS) and there are 33 PCCB and 11 iron.

Apparently the shortage of PCCBs was overcome somehow.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:01 PM
jshudson
Advanced

My 08 was built in Sept of last year and has them. At the time i ordered my dealer told me they were already closed out for Turbos and that 3s would follow as GT2 production started up.

Quick Reply: Gt3RS , ceramics no longer available?