Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Strip 237 pounds off an RS! ... end up with a 3014 pound car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't forget that a typical full gas tank compared to an empty gas tank can show numbers 120 lbs or more apart.

My 2,850 lbs street 996 GT3 (2,760 lbs on decent competition mode) is a lot of fun.

Weight is the enemy.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
If you think your Exige S is under 2k, put it on the scales and be ready for a suprise.
my exige was 2006 lbs, 1/2 tank, no driver.

RS is fat, but it really is just a street car. i wish it was 1500 lbs. but it isn't. also keep in mind RS is a very aggro STREET CAR. those who want to really track, you owe it to yourself to drive a cup car. i drove one. and from that day on, i stopped fiddling with my street cars. drive them as is. and get something like a cup car to really track. it's not just the wt either. the cup car is a whole different animal. you simply will not "get it" until you drive on.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:30 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,003 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Why not just strap a surplus Pratt & Whitney to your back?

Yeah, that could work too, but cornering might be a challenge
Old 08-16-2007, 01:47 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6 and 7 cups are fun and interesting cars - however they are track only.
i think the RS monkier should be used as the "road" basis for a race car - yes it is....in the eyes of the "law" but the translation from the street RS to the real RS (i.e. the race car) is somewhat of a huge jump. I guess you could argue that you "could" by an RS and make it into a track car - the point is lost in what you have to do to accomplish that vs. a 73' RS or a 92 cup usa or RS.
Personally i would love to have an RS (997) excellent road cars and "Track Day" cars - i sold my last water cooled car b/c it was ,well, a great daily driver, but did not do much for me that my trucks can't do. the 92 can do everything that a great car should do, and it does it well.
check out the I5 auto-x times for the 964 vs the rest of improved times at the parade (not me i was way..way... slower)
I think you will be suprised
I would love to own one don't get me wrong.... it's just if the track is your focus buy a track/race focused car, unless you are gunning for a specific class title, in which case buy, and modify what has the potential to win.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

RS is fat, but it really is just a street car. i wish it was 1500 lbs. but it isn't. also keep in mind RS is a very aggro STREET CAR. those who want to really track, you owe it to yourself to drive a cup car. i drove one. and from that day on, i stopped fiddling with my street cars. drive them as is. and get something like a cup car to really track. it's not just the wt either. the cup car is a whole different animal. you simply will not "get it" until you drive on.
I agree, GT3 RS is "just" a street car but IMO that doesn't mean you need a ton of sound deadening, big stereos, door panels etc.

In Turbo or other models maybe yes, but not in a model such as GT3 or GT3RS. They're the sportier models and therefore need to be sportier, and light weight & less "crap" goes with that.

Porsche RS models have always been like that, usually very little or no more hp but better supension etc. and less weight.

That always was the whole point of those macig two (RS) letters. Now IMO Porsche & buyers have "dropped the ball" a little by not following that 30 year old "rule". GT3 & GT3RS being "just a street car" is no excuse.

Also if someone has a cup car and only tracks it, but doesn't race, IMO that's little silly. Of course if someone has enough money they can do DEs in Formula 1 car all they want but still, if you have a full race car & race set-up, you need to race it.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty

Not bad. The Cup was 1999, full tank (70L, more than stock) , all items and fluid (cage, extinguisher and plumbing, fuel cell etc.). Oh, and that included cameras and data electronics.

So, for those who have seriously contemplated it or done it;

How much can you strip off an RS and still have it relatively usable for the street?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Not bad. The Cup was 1999, full tank (70L, more than stock) , all items and fluid (cage, extinguisher and plumbing, fuel cell etc.). Oh, and that included cameras and data electronics.

So, for those who have seriously contemplated it or done it;

How much can you strip off an RS and still have it relatively usable for the street?
You should be able to easily take out 200-250 lbs (seats, c/f hood & decklid, no sound deadening, no trunk carpet, less speakers, lightweight wheels, door panels, lightweight exhaust etc.) without losing ANY streetability.

You clould just follow "old GT3 RS" (=993 RS CS)'s principles and take out all carpeting interior lights, stereo, A/C etc. and you'd fairly easily get 300-350 lbs off and the car would still be pretty comfortable.

For those who will reply saying it would be a street car anymore etc. That 993 RS CS was/is a street car too, damn light & quick and nowadays fetches a lot more than what it sold for.

IMO 993 RS CS is a prefect formula of what a GT3 RS should be. 993 RS, 964 RS or 911 RS) are then what the formula should be for a GT3.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just strap a surplus Pratt & Whitney to your back?
Originally Posted by GrantG
Yeah, that could work too, but cornering might be a challenge
Thrust vectoring!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:03 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Around 450 lbs, street legal, with full interior carpets from Cargraphics and 73RS style door panels. Add 37 lbs if you want A/C. You keep the radio, and you still have power windows, power door locks and power mirrors.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Think you're missing the point here man - the Bugatti Veyron would embarass a 7RS on many tracks, that doesn't mean it's the better sportscar.
I challenge this statement. I doubt there are (m)any tracks (ok Road courses) that a veyron could embarass a 7RS. Weight is a killer on the tracks, and the veyron is 4162 lbs. You can make weight go fast in a straight line with enough power, but you can't make it hold on in the turns. Like its been said all over this post, and it is a fact, the 997 RS is too heavy. There is reason for it to be over 3000 lbs.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DM993tt
...There is reason for it to be over 3000 lbs.
What's the reason?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:53 PM
tcracing
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: 993 RS CS

I brought 2 into the country. These are REALLY more, much more track cars than every day cars. No a/c, lack of carpet, etc. Both cars are now full time PCA C class racers, that is where they belong.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:55 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
What's the reason?
He meant to say there is no reason for it to be over 3000 lbs.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:03 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just dumped a Lotus Cup 255 which scaled out at 1999 on the NOSE without my 200 lbs of lard so I do know what you are saying. and, I had an Elise for the street as well. I'll be polite and say that the RS is everything BOTH were (and more, much more in some depts.) except the RS will never match the lightweight "feel" that one gets from a 1 TON car.
That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. That it does everything the Exige/Elise does and some things better, with the only downside being that it will never feel like a 2000 lb car. From what I have read, it does feel quite a bit lighter than it actually is.

Well, my build date is November 11, so I can report back in December and let you know the outcome. I have a feeling that I will fall in love and never look back. In February I might even say "Lotus? what's that? Isn't is some old software application or some sort of flower?"
Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

An 'RS' model should weigh significantly less than the standard model. The 997GT3RS weighs about the same as a base model 997 (which has a power sunroof, rear seats, power rear spoiler, full stereo system with PCM and amp, and no exotic materials). There's no excuse...Porsche got lazy and greedy.

Quick Reply: Strip 237 pounds off an RS! ... end up with a 3014 pound car