Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Strip 237 pounds off an RS! ... end up with a 3014 pound car

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 PM
007GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starbucks Run

Yeah, making a Starbucks run in a GT3 RS wouldn't be as much fun without the Navigation and Cupholders
Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all you guys who like to say "the car isn't a racecar, what are you whining about," the simple response is: THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A PORSCHE RS!!!!

Fast as the 7RS is, it doesn't deserve the RS moniker when it weighs as much as it does - imho. RS has always meant lightweight, no frills 911. The 7RS is basically a heavy GT car will all the needless amenities of the standard 997, (albeit with a great powertrain and chassis). The 7GT3 is what the standard 997 should be, and we all know it. And the 7RS is akin to the RS America, aka only slightly more focused.

That's not to take away from the 7GT3 or 7RS - great cars imho. But they should be the starting point for a 911, not the final destination...
Old 08-15-2007, 03:33 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Yeah yeah. That's what I thought too.

But in proper hands, this car is capable of blowing by anything short of a full race Cup or Vette. Seen it first hand, as have a few others here.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:10 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by allegretto
Yeah yeah. That's what I thought too.

But in proper hands, this car is capable of blowing by anything short of a full race Cup or Vette. Seen it first hand, as have a few others here.

Think you're missing the point here man - the Bugatti Veyron would embarass a 7RS on many tracks, that doesn't mean it's the better sportscar.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:24 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
For all you guys who like to say "the car isn't a racecar, what are you whining about," the simple response is: THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A PORSCHE RS!!!!

Fast as the 7RS is, it doesn't deserve the RS moniker when it weighs as much as it does - imho. RS has always meant lightweight, no frills 911. The 7RS is basically a heavy GT car will all the needless amenities of the standard 997, (albeit with a great powertrain and chassis). The 7GT3 is what the standard 997 should be, and we all know it. And the 7RS is akin to the RS America, aka only slightly more focused.

That's not to take away from the 7GT3 or 7RS - great cars imho. But they should be the starting point for a 911, not the final destination...

good points, but the car is what it is....I still love it!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:28 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by leif997

good points, but the car is what it is....I still love it!
Trust me, I would love one too - but it's just not in the true spirit of the "RS," imho.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:29 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Think you're missing the point here man - the Bugatti Veyron would embarass a 7RS on many tracks, that doesn't mean it's the better sportscar.
Oh I get it (the"you're missing the point" line is cliche and condescending). Very few cars are perfect and can always be a little more this or that.

And, I don't consider my RS a track car. It's a very "sporting" Porsche Coupe that is built to the modern standard of a street car. So "sporting" in fact that it can be severely fast on a road course too. But it is a street car and as such, in the modern era means many compromises in it's nature. Weight being just one of them. There is a 2K lb street car, but it is not anything that Porsche would build and not at their standard. And, for that matter is no competition at the track.

Maybe the Kramermobile will settle it and be that one perfect car for all things? Seriously, I'll bet if Porsche built a street "RSR" that was devoid of frills and weighed 2750 it would sell very little. Look at the ones here, only a few hard-core guys chose to delete AC.

Nonetheless, it's the best street Porsche out there for dual duty. No more or less. They make track cars already.

Last edited by allegretto; 08-15-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 PM
tocho1
Instructor

If instead of RS they would've called it the MS, the SS or the FS or whatever...guys out there will still bitch about it...mostly 'cause they couldn't get one!!!!! Tough life.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:50 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh I get it. Very few cars are perfect and can always be a little more this or that.

And, I don't consider my RS a track car. It's a very "sporting" Porsche Coupe that is built to the modern standard of a street car. So "sporting" in fact that it can be severely fast on a road course too. But it is a street car and as such, in the modern era means many compromises in it's nature. Weight being just one of them.

Nonetheless, it's the best street Porsche out there for dual duty. No more or less.

Again, missing the point my friend...

A modern car does NOT have to be heavy. Look at Lotus...

The GT3 is heavy because it has a full leather luxury interior, sound insulation, DVD/Satnav, sunroof, power everything, full sound system, etc. Most of the body panels weigh the same as the standard car. Hell, the rear wheels weigh 30lbs each!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:00 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Again, missing the point my friend...

A modern car does NOT have to be heavy. Look at Lotus...

The GT3 is heavy because it has a full leather luxury interior, sound insulation, DVD/Satnav, sunroof, power everything, full sound system, etc. Most of the body panels weigh the same as the standard car. Hell, the rear wheels weigh 30lbs each!
Ahem, I addressed this in my edit above. I write bettween work issues.

Why do some think that when folks don't agree they are either "missing the point" or "don't understand"? What's the "point" I'm "missing"? That you and others think it too heavy, or that it could be lighter? How could I miss that?

As I said above post-edit. A Lotus is not built to the Porsche standard. End of story. (Are you "missing the point"?) Fit, finish, quality are all well below your average C2. Sure it's light, but at the expense of many other issues.

So buy an Exige or Elise and expect to see a lot of taillights, but you'll be light. And I'm the first to admit that there is some fun to a light, tossable vehicle. But I didn't want light at the expense of quality, been there and done that just recently, thank you.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:43 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Excellent point.

The debate is not personal, but only an expression - by some of us - of disappointment toward Porsche.

Noah
Old 08-15-2007, 11:10 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think your Exige S is under 2k, put it on the scales and be ready for a suprise.
Do you think I am a total idiot and do not know the curb weight of my car? I know that stock it is over 2000 lbs, I believe about 2077. It is so easy to trim even more significant amounts of weight from that car for under 1000 bucks. A new exhaust, battery, panel eliminator and few othe items brings it down to 2000 even in one afternoon work. Then you spend a little more serious money (CF seats, lighter brakes and wheels, delete passanger seat, stereo, rear speaker panel, etc) and you can hit 1900 or less.

But none of that really matters. Whether it is 2077 lbs or 1950 lbs, the car is MUCH, MUCH lighter than the 997, they are not even in the same ball park. Porsche could have done a little more on the RS to achieve more of a weight reduction than just 44 lbs. How about even lighter wheels and brakes, the titanium exhaust that they are putting in the GT2, a lighter carbon seat. Maybe a carbon roof and hood, and finally a stereo delete and interior carpet delete.

That is what the car should have been and come in below 3000 lbs; I don't think that is too much to ask.

But please don't get me wrong; even with its heft, I love the 997 GT3 and will trade me Exige for it. I wish Icould keep both, but I cannot afford it. The RS is a great car, maybe the best car in the world for the money.

Keep in mind I own the Exige S and I test drove the Ariel Atom and came within a nat's *** of buying one; I was just worried about being able to register it. I really appreciate a light weight car; it does something that no other average weight sports car can come close to.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,003 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Keep in mind I own the Exige S and I test drove the Ariel Atom and came within a nat's *** of buying one; I was just worried about being able to register it. I really appreciate a light weight car; it does something that no other average weight sports car can come close to.
Ever consider one of these? Weighs 1/2 as much as Ariel Atom:
www.roadrazer.com

Last edited by GrantG; 08-16-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:57 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Do you think I am a total idiot and do not know the curb weight of my car? I know that stock it is over 2000 lbs, I believe about 2077. It is so easy to trim even more significant amounts of weight from that car for under 1000 bucks. A new exhaust, battery, panel eliminator and few othe items brings it down to 2000 even in one afternoon work. Then you spend a little more serious money (CF seats, lighter brakes and wheels, delete passanger seat, stereo, rear speaker panel, etc) and you can hit 1900 or less.

But none of that really matters. Whether it is 2077 lbs or 1950 lbs, the car is MUCH, MUCH lighter than the 997, they are not even in the same ball park. Porsche could have done a little more on the RS to achieve more of a weight reduction than just 44 lbs. How about even lighter wheels and brakes, the titanium exhaust that they are putting in the GT2, a lighter carbon seat. Maybe a carbon roof and hood, and finally a stereo delete and interior carpet delete.

That is what the car should have been and come in below 3000 lbs; I don't think that is too much to ask.

But please don't get me wrong; even with its heft, I love the 997 GT3 and will trade me Exige for it. I wish Icould keep both, but I cannot afford it. The RS is a great car, maybe the best car in the world for the money.

Just dumped a Lotus Cup 255 which scaled out at 1999 on the NOSE without my 200 lbs of lard so I do know what you are saying. and, I had an Elise for the street as well. I'll be polite and say that the RS is everything BOTH were (and more, much more in some depts.) except the RS will never match the lightweight "feel" that one gets from a 1 TON car.

We have one or two Atoms at the track. They have not lived up to the billing but I'm not sure the steering wheel-seat spacer was ideal.

And Nah, unlike some, I don't think you're an idiot, or don't get it, or miss the point.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:03 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GrantG
Ever consider one of these? Weighs 1/2 as much as Ariel Atom:
www.roadrazer.com
Why not just strap a surplus Pratt & Whitney to your back?

Quick Reply: Strip 237 pounds off an RS! ... end up with a 3014 pound car