Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

gt2 or 3 that is the question. 3 weeks for answer

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 AM
h-bo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt2 or 3 that is the question. 3 weeks for answer

I posted this on the wrong forum.. just in case there was any doubt that this was my first post:.............

Hello everybody! I have been watching from the sidelines for some time, and here goes my first post!!!

I got delivery of an Indian red 10,000mile 997turbo last night which my dealer will buy back from me when I have a 997GT2 delivered at the end of Dec.

As I write this I can scarcely believe it myself. I think I have just opened the gate to the motoring heaven that I have been imagining ever since I could first say Ferrari (Worry not, I have grown up since then). Heaven doesn’t look quite like I imagined though, while it certainly is bright up here there are darker thoughts brewing in the horizon. They appeared just after my first drive in the mountains behind Monaco this morning.

The Turbo is indeed devastatingly fast while still being comfortable. All round perfection, so nothing too unexpected there given its predecessors and the press. Another evolutionary leap in the right direction. It is hard to imagine a car that can do so many things so well.

Having a BMW daily driver though I simply do not need my Porsche to do everything so well. The Turbo is “too good” in that sense. Not having the need to compromise when it came to a sports car lead me to think that the GT2 would just the thing. Yes perhaps I could have considered a Gallardo or f430 instead of a GT2, but if someone offers me reliability and enough space for a set of golf clubs and bags for two weeks as a free option how could I possibly turn that down? I am clearly forgetting that I am writing in a Porsche forum… all this is perfectly obvious.

Why not a GT3 if I am looking for a no-compromises sports car? Good question. This is how I got to the GT2 conclusion.

I also have a 993 GT2 in the garage, and I have suffered from extensive 996 GT2 bullying. Being repeatedly forced to move over for them on the track and then have to breathe their exhaust fumes has left me permanently scarred. The Turbos and all three incarnations of the GT3 were always much friendlier to me, they simply stayed put in the rear view mirror where they belonged.

Having tried the 997Turbo it is now a certain that the GT2 will be the fastest factory Porsche (bar CGT) out there. Ok so I will have the fastest one… but will I be happy?

Basically I am starting to wonder if a GT3 might not actually be more fun on the track. Can anybody with extensive 996gt2 and gt3 try to shed some light on my dilemma please.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Or you could consider a GT3RS instead of the GT3.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:49 AM
h-bo
Instructor

rs or not is really more a question of styling than anything else. the performance difference is marginal. i will probably never be a good enough driver to be able to tell the difference. I like the rs styling a lot though... in fact the green would probably be my choice for the 997gt2.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Add a GIAC software flash and exhaust of your choice and your TT will be beyond the GT2 power levels. It becomes a much more of a hairy beast. That would run you about $8k, and there won't be too many people visible in the rearview anymore. The independently posted 0-300kph GPS monitored acceleration times of such are car are shown below - 33 seconds. That is equivalent to Carrera GT times, and the test was done in Kuwait at 100F+ temps. By comparison, a stock TT hits 300 kph in 40 sec, a GT3 in 47 sec.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your 993GT2 is plenty fast enough to keep 996GT2s in your rearview. And if it's not, it's very easy to make it that way.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:11 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

The TT is a nice street car, can go on the track, but is not the best track option. The 997 GT3 RS or 997 GT2 are the best choices for street/track duty. If your dealer will buy back your 997 TT and sell you a 997 GT2 at MSRP then do that, best economic option you will get. You will pay up for an RS and be stuck trying to sell your car for less $.

Given you have 993 GT2, you will find the 997 GT2 more civilized! Given the ring time posted at 7:32, some 14 seconds faster than an RS, I would say on larger tracks the 2 will be faster but on shorter tighter tracks the RS will hold its own. It will have a weight advantage, which will pay off over multiple laps.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get. I have experience with 993 Cup, 993 C4, 993 TT, 996 Cup (multiple), 996 TT, 996 GT2, 997 GT3 RS & 997 Cup (have owned all) and driven a 996 GT3 on the track extensively.

If you told me I could only have one of the street cars I would take the 997 GT3 RS, best street car I ever owned. But the 997 GT2 appears to be a big refinement to the 996 GT2 and you may miss the boost of the turbo, but then again you still have the 993 GT2 (be sure to keep that car it will be most collectable!).

JCM
Old 08-08-2007, 01:11 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

The TT is a nice street car, can go on the track, but is not the best track option. The 997 GT3 RS or 997 GT2 are the best choices for street/track duty. If your dealer will buy back your 997 TT and sell you a 997 GT2 at MSRP then do that, best economic option you will get. You will pay up for an RS and be stuck trying to sell your car for less $.

Given you have 993 GT2, you will find the 997 GT2 more civilized! Given the ring time posted at 7:32, some 14 seconds faster than an RS, I would say on larger tracks the 2 will be faster but on shorter tighter tracks the RS will hold its own. It will have a weight advantage, which will pay off over multiple laps.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get. I have experience with 993 Cup, 993 C4, 993 TT, 996 Cup (multiple), 996 TT, 996 GT2, 997 GT3 RS & 997 Cup (have owned all) and driven a 996 GT3 on the track extensively.

If you told me I could only have one of the street cars I would take the 997 GT3 RS, best street car I ever owned. But the 997 GT2 appears to be a big refinement to the 996 GT2 and you may miss the boost of the turbo, but then again you still have the 993 GT2 (be sure to keep that car it will be most collectable!).

JCM
Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

997 GT2, if you can, then you must.....
Old 08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the GT3 RS.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Mark GT2
Advanced

Default GT3

GT3RS - too much extra and you get very little.
GT2 - too much overall for what it does.
Turbo - don't need the extra weight and gadgets and cost.
GT3 - perfect for the track with a few minor mods.

(I currently have and track a 2002 GT2 and a 2001 Turbo - both are phenominal on the track - but we spent quite a bit to get them that way and we could have done the same for a lot less).

Just get a GT3, change the tires, pipes, pads, seats, and add harnesses and you have a fantastic track car that's street legal. No, it won't beat the turbo or GT2 - but it's damn close.

F430? That's another fantastic car - but my wife won't let me take it on the track :-(
Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 PM
h-bo
Instructor

Thank you all for the helpful advice

eclou: there is no doubt that a tuned tt would be even more exiting than my current car. The thought of carrying around the weight of things that I don't really want seems a bit wasteful. i like the gts because you start with as little as possible and can add according to level of comfort necessary.

pc car: the 993 gt2 could be made much faster. but at the moment it has only done 8000miles or so and is stock. i can feel the price appreciation on a daily basis. if I made some modifications I fear that i could never come back. I love it the way it is (when it is being nice to me)

supercup: thank you for the advice. you really seem to have some good porsche years behind you. hopefully one day I will have tried as many. so far only 993c, 993 tt, 993gt2 996cup, 996tt and 997tt. the 996 cup I will never forget (the driving instructor who was driving brought me head first into a wall at magnycourt at 120mph, his car though... phew). rest assured the 993gt2 will never go anywhere. the dealer will take back the tt in dec when the gt2 is meant to arrive. I got the gt2 at list and will pay EUR5000 for depreciation on tt. I think I got a good deal.

TTgasman: I hear you I hear you.

Zicoramone: unfortunately i hear you too.

mark gt2: you have a 996gt2 but would buy a gt3.. how many more out there like you I wonder? It is your point of view which concerns me the most.

The lap times at the ring are just incredible, I am not sure I will be able to resist having a car that can be mentioned in the same sentence as a cgt.

thanks again.. and if anybody is planning a factory pickup some time in dec we should try to coordinate!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:58 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the tracks you drive on. If you have room to use the power, go for the GT2. If it's a tighter, twisty track the responsiveness of a naturally aspirated car is probably more exciting then that smack in the back of the head from a boosted one (albeit probably a smaller smack than the 993 considering the VTG and modern comforts). I say this assuming that you have one or two "local" tracks that you attend.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I'm facing a similar issue. My dealer will happily buy back my RS if I commit to a GT-2.

On one hand I'm sorely tempted,on the other... I think the RS is very special.

Not sure what to do...
Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 AM
rockminster
1st Gear

I'm a Ferrari owner and have an RS in production, so I'm responding to this "brand agnostic".

I'm wondering why you so quickly dismissed the F430? It will not be as fast as the Gt2, but given your question about "being happy", I would suggest you find a way to get seat time in an F430 before deciding. Like the Gt3, the F430 provides the long rev band that adds so much to the driving experience. The 430 also provides an F1 option that for track use is, for me, worth the price of admission. The Ferrari also gives that magical sound that makes you feel like you're going fast even when you're not. While it wouldn't be the deciding factor, the fact that the 430s have held their value whereas all Gt2's have tumbled hard would be a consideration for me.

The F430 won't be mistaken for a Town Car in terms of stoarge, but the front boot is quite large and you can get a set of clubs behind the front seats unless you need to pin the seats all the way back. In terms of reliability it's been my experince that modern Ferrari quality is equal to if not better than Porsche.

Just another perspective on the topic. Best of luck.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:54 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rockminster
I'm a Ferrari owner and have an RS in production, so I'm responding to this "brand agnostic".

I'm wondering why you so quickly dismissed the F430? It will not be as fast as the Gt2, but given your question about "being happy", I would suggest you find a way to get seat time in an F430 before deciding. Like the Gt3, the F430 provides the long rev band that adds so much to the driving experience. The 430 also provides an F1 option that for track use is, for me, worth the price of admission. The Ferrari also gives that magical sound that makes you feel like you're going fast even when you're not. While it wouldn't be the deciding factor, the fact that the 430s have held their value whereas all Gt2's have tumbled hard would be a consideration for me.

The F430 won't be mistaken for a Town Car in terms of stoarge, but the front boot is quite large and you can get a set of clubs behind the front seats unless you need to pin the seats all the way back. In terms of reliability it's been my experince that modern Ferrari quality is equal to if not better than Porsche.

Just another perspective on the topic. Best of luck.
Hey,welcome!

Having owned, and tracked an F430,in the performance department I'd suggest you take delivery and drive your RS hard on the track and tell us what you think.

In the Fiscal Dept, on the other hand, I totally agree.

Ya takes ya picks.

Quick Reply: gt2 or 3 that is the question. 3 weeks for answer