Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help with PCNA

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Lemur
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with PCNA

I am in the process of configuring my October build GT 3 and had hoped to have it painted Gulf Blue. When my dealer requested the paint to sample code from our friends at PCNA, he was flatly and unapologetically refused..so much for their glowing descriptions of their "Customer Personalization Service". Does anyone here have any suggestions or know of anyone at headquarters with whom I might plead my case? I have tried to contact them via email and thus far have received no reply. I simply can not believe that what I am asking for should be an unsurmountable problem, especially considering the obvious concordance between the history of this color and the heritage of this car.
Many thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:12 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

You might PM Edgy from the 997 board. He has experience with the paint to sample process.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

SORRY...but there is NO paint to sample available for the GT3 in the US with one exception...
GT3 RS Green and GT3 RS Orange.

Your salesperson should know this information
Old 08-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Lemur
Advanced

He did, but he was trying to interceed in my behalf. This make no sense to me especially in light of their beating their collective chests about their exceptional and extraordinary willingness to apease their customers.

Also,For your information, there was an order code for paint to sample on the 2007 order guide that offered two separate categories:

Non-Metallic Paint to Sample 792 24931,
Metallic Paint to Sample 792 24931.

SORRY Indeed!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

PAG (and by default PCNA) has cut way back on the Exclusive Options Programme. IIRC, the 997TT and 997GT2 are the cars which have the greatest number of options under the Exclusive Programme.

It's a whole new Porsche company now under Dr W.

PAG reserves the right to say 'No' at any time.

Perhaps you can buy the car wtih the 'body in white' options (similar to Cup cars) and have it painted yourself?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:59 PM
GelbGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if this might lead to anything helpful, but one of the San Diego dealers (Pioneer Centres) displayed a Cayman S in Gulf Blue at the Porsche Parade last month. The window sticker listed the paint to sample option. They also added the orange stripe. I have a picture of it I could send by pm.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:02 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe try to go to P AG Germany and see if they say no.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Contact Porsche in Germany. They were very clear that anything is possible if requested. PCNA does not have any real authority in the matter.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Lemur
Advanced

Thanks to all who have offered their helpful thoughts and advice. As it turns out, Porsche AG has in fact withdrawn the paint to sample option for 2008 on the GT 3 as well as all aero kit cars and, most likely, the GT 2.
The problem stems from having to find a means of having all the varying surfaces ( Aluminum, steel, plastic, carbon , etc.) appear to be the same color at the end of the process. Porsche has had great difficulty with this, especially when paler non metallic paints are applied. This has required the development of color and surface specific primers. Apparently, the effort involved is not justifiable for individual preferences such as my hope for a Gulf Blue GT 3...dissapointing but understandable.
Now will it be white or cobalt???
Old 08-01-2007, 10:47 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemur
Thanks to all who have offered their helpful thoughts and advice. As it turns out, Porsche AG has in fact withdrawn the paint to sample option for 2008 on the GT 3 as well as all aero kit cars and, most likely, the GT 2.
The problem stems from having to find a means of having all the varying surfaces ( Aluminum, steel, plastic, carbon , etc.) appear to be the same color at the end of the process. Porsche has had great difficulty with this, especially when paler non metallic paints are applied. This has required the development of color and surface specific primers. Apparently, the effort involved is not justifiable for individual preferences such as my hope for a Gulf Blue GT 3...dissapointing but understandable.
Now will it be white or cobalt???
I don't doubt your info, but it is a load of crap. That is the very reason that cars get painted with etching primers and such prior to the color coats.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:56 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eclou
I don't doubt your info, but it is a load of crap. That is the very reason that cars get painted with etching primers and such prior to the color coats.
Yea, sounds like a story. I'd want to hear it directly from P AG.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would trust this information.

In fact, the first thing I noticed on my white GT3 (last November), and a red one parked beside it, was that the doors and body work were of a different tone. Easy to spot under light at night. It is not a big difference but it is there. Since I knew it was a new car I wasn't worried.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:40 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Personalization is for the customer. PAG is about profits now. It costs too much to keep all the personalization stuff around so they are cutting back. It hurts the bottom line. Who cares about silly customers?

I understand your pain.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:55 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

No go on Gulf, spoke to them when I was at the factory.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:09 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Light, pale and/or both non-metallic they won't do.

Does anyone know what this is?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Help with PCNA