Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Motons on GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Motons on GT3

I must be the only one around who thinks the new GT3 is a little too bouncy. Compared to my almost stock 996GT3, this new car has a lot of vertical motion on our local, bumpy track. I think the new car has better mid-corner handling, but the dampening (PASM) is not so good.

[edit - removed the incorrect spring rates statement here]

So long story short, has anybody gone with Motons on their GT3 yet? Opinons? (I know you all have them )

Last edited by Ray G; 05-24-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, you must understand that if you have the same spring rates on one car weighing 2700 lbs and the same rate on a 3000 lbs the springs will be relativly softer on the heavier car. I actually think the car needs higher spring rates than it has but I am waiting a bit to see what others do as far as dampers which brings us to your original question.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:49 PM
frayed
Race Car

A few race shops have fitted Motons. You can turn PASM off so the computer doesn't blow up your dashboard with MILs. My understanding is that Motons work just as well on the 997 as they did on the 996.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:52 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ray G
Anyway, talking to my local shop, Cantrell Motorsports, they told me the road GT3 has the same progressive springs as the 997 Cup cars. That is 1100lbs front, 1300lbs rear. Cantrell knows their stuff - they are running 5 997 cups this year in IMSA, and he has a long history with 996 cups.
Am I reading this right? No way does the street GT3 have the same rates as cup cars. I can look up the rates, they are around somewhere.

Also, Excellence reported that the 997 moved to linear springs.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 PM
grussell
Pro

I must be the only one around who thinks the new GT3 is a little too bouncy. Compared to my almost stock 996GT3, this new car has a lot of vertical motion on our local, bumpy track. I think the new car has better mid-corner handling, but the dampening (PASM) is not so good.

Anyway, talking to my local shop, Cantrell Motorsports, they told me the road GT3 has the same progressive springs as the 997 Cup cars. That is 1100lbs front, 1300lbs rear. Cantrell knows their stuff - they are running 5 997 cups this year in IMSA, and he has a long history with 996 cups.

They regularly put Motons on the Cup cars for this purpose. The springs rates are really high, and the road car dampening IMO is not up to it.

So long story short, has anybody gone with Motons on their GT3 yet? Opinons? (I know you all have them )
That's a good one! LOL! The GT3 does not have Cup car springs. The car is way undersprung for the sport mode of PASM. Soft mode is fine and the car rides very well for a sports car.

I have put on JRZ's with 400/600 springs, but I am still testing. I thought this would be a good starting point, but I may go higher. I will know more after a few weeks of testing.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by frayed
Am I reading this right? No way does the street GT3 have the same rates as cup cars. I can look up the rates, they are around somewhere.

Also, Excellence reported that the 997 moved to linear springs.
You can look at the springs and see they are progressive. I have when the wheels were off for brake flush.

Please look up the rates if can. I have a hard time believing that too.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
frayed
Race Car

Well, the rears went linear; don't confuse progressive springs with dead coils, which are designed to fully go into coil bind under static load. Just like with tender springs on aftermarket coilovers.

Anyway, coilbind, tender springs, progressive, linear. . . all besides the point. I'll look up the spring rates and get back with the info; the springs were uprated front and rear about 10% over the 996 GT3 and my fuzzy recolloction is 250ish/450ish fr/rr.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Ray G
Pro

Well, the rears went linear; don't confuse progressive springs with dead coils, which are designed to fully go into coil bind under static load. Just like with tender springs on aftermarket coilovers.

Anyway, coilbind, tender springs, progressive, linear. . . all besides the point. I'll look up the spring rates and get back with the info; the springs were uprated front and rear about 10% over the 996 GT3 and my fuzzy recolloction is 250ish/450ish fr/rr.
I didn't think I confused the helper springs. I have some pics I will dig up when I get home. At the track now.....
Old 05-24-2007, 03:16 AM
Ray G
Pro

I think you are right. The rear springs appear to have dead coils and are not progressive. The fronts look non-progressive. It's funny but the Technik Introduction booklet from Porsche says "The springs on the rear axle .... have a progressive characteristic.". Hmm. Here are some pics of the front and rear I took with my phone.

In any case, I don't really care what the rates are, but the dampening is what I am kind of complaining about. I took my new GT3 around some of my fave hilly Northwest back roads, and it just wasn't as good feeling as my old GT3 over the same roads, mainly because the low-frequency rebound dampening seems too low. PASM in either mode didn't help much.
Attached Images   
Old 05-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Ray G
Pro

Just got word back from Cantrell. He got his info from Moton. This is what he said:
You are correct. They were confusing it with the cup cars. The street car rates are way too soft. Moton uses a 450 front, 650R and everyone has been really happy with how it transforms the car. The factory rates are super soft.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

450/650 is to soft..go for 600/800
Old 05-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06
450/650 is to soft..go for 600/800
Have you experience with those rates on a 6/7 GT3?
Old 05-24-2007, 05:55 PM
frayed
Race Car

the low-frequency rebound dampening seems too low. PASM in either mode didn't help much.
I agree with this. The rear porpoises a lot, except when you are really hard on the loud pedal. Doesn't seem to affect traction though.

"You are correct. They were confusing it with the cup cars. The street car rates are way too soft. Moton uses a 450 front, 650R and everyone has been really happy with how it transforms the car. The factory rates are super soft."

The street rates are super soft. I think the fronts use interntal bump stops that ramp up the spring rates and make the effective spring rate non linear.

I think the above quote is misleading. "Moton" does not use any spring rates. They make dampers, not damper/spring combos. Motons club sports can handle up into the 1000 lb+ regime. 450/650 would be a nice setup for a dual purpose car but for the hard core track rates, 450/650 won't be enough to fight the weight of the car.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:34 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

AWE has a PDF of the PIWIS procedure needed to disable the PASM. I am seriously considering their Moton clubsport package on my TT, along with adjustable H&R sways. It is very hard to shake these obscene urges to mod.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:38 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by eclou
AWE has a PDF of the PIWIS procedure needed to disable the PASM. I am seriously considering their Moton clubsport package on my TT, along with adjustable H&R sways. It is very hard to shake these obscene urges to mod.
It is not obscene! It is natural and should be done to as many cars as you can. Anyone that tells you otherwise is a ......... you fill in the blank.

After Mike's post above I was wondering if the PDF is still current.

Quick Reply: Motons on GT3